Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2017 Consolidated]

Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The value of Platinum status over Gold status is generally a "YMMV" situation. Different people will value different benefits in different ways. Here are the most commonly cited differences that people mention:
  • Boarding in Group 1 instead of Group 2
  • 2 RPUs (none for Gold)
  • Improved chances at CPUs through higher priority
  • 8 companions in E+ on same itinerary vs. 1 companion
  • 3x 70 lb. bags on UA instead of 2x, although plats and golds have exact same additional bag allowance provided to *G on other Star Alliance carriers
  • Greater RDM earning rate (9x instead of 8x base fare)
  • Free award reservation changes, cancellations, miles redeposits if 61 days or more before departure, otherwise $50
  • Somewhat improved premium cabin award space availability
  • Presidential Circle status with Hertz

Plat is the highest level still eligible for Chase MP-branded credit card spend waiver of PQD requirements.

A list of differences is available here: Premier benefits chart

Related threads
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018

UA/Star Alliance: 2016-2017 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Previous thread(s)
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2016 Consolidated]
Consolidated "Is 75K/Platinum Status Worth It?" Thread [Merged]
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver

I have two transpac flights left this year (one each in October and November). After these two flights I will have around 62K PQM (I have 25K spend on UA Chase card so PQD is not a problem.). So I will need around 13K PQM to hit platinum.

I'm based out of SFO.

I found that SFO -> TPE/SIN nonstop round-trip can be had for ~700 USD on certain dates.

According to TPG link above, UA platinum is a lot more valuable than gold but since we don't have any kids, E+ for up to 8 people really doesn't do anything better than gold.

Would you spend $700 for a weekend mileage run just to hit platinum over gold in this case?
8MiHi likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 26, 2017 at 7:12 pm Reason: started 2017 thread
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by maverickar15
Would you spend $700 for a weekend mileage run just to hit platinum over gold in this case?
I would not (and I don't agree with TPG's analysis or conclusion). The only tangible benefits you're going to see vs. Gold are boarding group 1 and some incremental increase in upgrade odds. Which will still be very poor ex-SFO.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
I would say the incremental value of BG1 as a plat is highly dependent on your travel patterns. If you're flying hub-hub at peak business travel times, BG1 is almost a necessity. I also personally loathe having to stash my bag in the back of the plane and then fight my way back to my seat, then back to my bag. Other people don't seem to run into this issue, but I have been in the first 4-5 people of BG2 as a Gold and been one of the last ones allowed to carry a bag on before they started forcing gate checks.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I'm based out of SFO.

I found that SFO -> TPE/SIN nonstop round-trip can be had for ~700 USD on certain dates.

According to TPG link above, UA platinum is a lot more valuable than gold but since we don't have any kids, E+ for up to 8 people really doesn't do anything better than gold.

It depends on how you value the 2 RPU plus the extra 18k+ RDM (extra 2 miles per $ spent) not to mention group 1 boarding and reduced fees for award tix changes <60 days.

Personally I value the RDUs @$150 each, 18k x.02=$360, so it's a close call but YMMV. From SFO you won't increase your CPU % clearance as even 1Ks are often left on the upgrade waitlist.

$700 might buy up to paid F on the trips you would have used the RPUs, plus you don't have to kill a weekend torturing yourself in TPAC economy.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I'm in this situation.

I have two transpac flights left this year (one each in October and November). After these two flights I will have around 62K PQM (I have 25K spend on UA Chase card so PQD is not a problem.). So I will need around 13K PQM to hit platinum.

I'm based out of SFO.

A few years ago, I would have done it (a mileage run to achieve Plat) at the drop of a hat. But that was before the massive devaluation of Plat, mainly the loss of no-charge award changes and yes, I do miss BG1.

The SFO-SIN is a pretty tough run, in terms of few empty seats and the length of the flight. On the plus side, I think there really is something to be said for the higher cabin pressurization of the 787. I've flown it both ways, and survived.

But if you've got time to make it something more than a straight mileage run, do so. You can link up to a lot of biz-class award flights once in SIN. If you've got enough miles, you can fly biz class SIN-Australia. Or do a big circle like my wife and I did last year, SFO-SIN-BNE-BKK-SIN-SFO (we actually spent 5 days in Cairns and 4 days in Siem Reap via local flights).
8MiHi likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Absolutely not. As far as I'm concerned, there are three status levels really worth striving for -- GS, 1K, and Gold. Gold gets you free SDC and *G. 1K gets you GPUs and, depending upon your travel patterns, a decent shot at CPU. GS gets you a better shot at CPU, much more flexible GPUs, and extra saver award availability.

Platinum gets you two RPUs, BG1, and some extra redeemable miles. And, ex-SFO, you may not even be able to use the RPUs. It sounds like you wouldn't use the extra E+ benefits, and I doubt you'd pay $700 in incremental award change fees.

Now, if I were 3K away, instead of 13K, and I could do it with a weekend in (insert your favorite fall destination here), then sure, I'd probably spring for it. But I wouldn't do a MR to TPE or SIN.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
To me being Platinum isn't worth it at all.

As they don't seem to follow their own rules about confirming your upgrades 2-3 days out that benefit is worthless (it's 2 days for gold 3 for plat) and the extra miles and 2 upgrades you get really don't matter for the money spent. Boarding group 2 is fine if I'm not in J. Which is almost never.

YMMV.

Last edited by KDS777; Sep 26, 2017 at 7:52 pm
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KDS777
As they don't seem to follow their own rules about confirming your upgrades 2-3 days out that benefit is worthless (it's 2 days for gold 3 for plat) and the extra miles and 2 upgrades you get really don't matter for the money spent. Boardng group 2 is fine if I'm not in J. Which is almost never.
They follow their own rules. It's "as early as," in both cases. And, when I was a Plat, I definitely got some upgrades at T-72. I've also gotten upgraded at the gate. As a Plat, I was higher on the list than Golds. That's really all their rules specify.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I don't disagee with you as to how their rules are written. But perhaps "may contain a 10% possibility of occuring" shouldn't have been left out of the text.

It just has never happened to me, ergo my value perception.

3 days ago on UA129 I was #2 then bumped to #3 with 7 seats open, and didn't get upgraded until I was at the gate on a paid upgrade (miles + $). Happens way too much IMHO.

FWIW they offer you a buy up to Plat at year end for $1400 USD. No thanks.

Last edited by KDS777; Sep 26, 2017 at 8:02 pm
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I would not
I would tend to agree. That said, does the equation change is one is short by 1/3 less ($200)?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Yeah I hit Gold in the first half of the year and they've been trying to get me to bite on Platinum.

No dice from me.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:56 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
That said, does the equation change if one is short by 1/3 less ($200)?
I personally would be more than happy to spend $200 to move from Gold to Plat.

But do agree that Plat ain't what it used to be
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I would tend to agree. That said, does the equation change is one is short by 1/3 less ($200)?
I think it's worth $200. But worth noting, I don't think I would do it for even $0 if it involved shipping out on SFO-SIN-SFO in Y

I generally agree with jsloan in that the status tiers with meaningful benefits are Gold, 1K, and GS. Plat is worth $180 of miles (9k RDM on a good day; if you're waiving your PQD this is less), BG1 (dubious value), and 2x RPU (worth $600 in the best of circumstances). And that's it.

A realistic value for the RPUs are a lot lower (for $300 each you could just buy up TCONs with much higher fidelity), so I'd say Plat is worth maybe $300 over Gold.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver
I see, thanks for the advice.

If I end up getting yet another transpac business trip to ICN, then I might be at 73K PQM instead. I might do a quick hop to hit 75K in that case but otherwise I won't go for platinum as-is.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:20 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

If I end up getting yet another transpac business trip to ICN, then I might be at 73K PQM instead. I might do a quick hop to hit 75K in that case but otherwise I won't go for platinum as-is.
I'd say for 2K miles it's worth it, but otherwise as you now realize ...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.