Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

(Positive?) Changes to Accrual on Shenzhen Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Just did my sweep on the United milage accrual webpages and noticed that United has changed the accrual formula when flying on Shenzhen Airlines (bet you didn't know they were a partner!)

Effective October 28, 2018, the fare buckets J,Z and R appear to go from discount economy to business class and will now earn 150% RDM and 100% PQM. Confusingly, the RDM chart lists those J,Z,R fare codes as being both discount economy and business (I'm guessing that's a typo on UA's end). That is all!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I don't get how this is positive at all. The airline is simply playing alphabet soup and changing some economy fare buckets to business. So this affects nothing for those booked in economy on Shenzhen.

This is a case of United reacting to an alphabet (fare class) change a partner made. All the other partners are having to update their earnings tables as well.

If "J" remained economy and went to 150% then that would be a positive change. Otherwise, this isn't news at all.

-RM
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I don't get how this is positive at all. The airline is simply playing alphabet soup and changing some economy fare buckets to business. So this affects nothing for those booked in economy on Shenzhen.

This is a case of United reacting to an alphabet (fare class) change a partner made. All the other partners are having to update their earnings tables as well.

If "J" remained economy and went to 150% then that would be a positive change. Otherwise, this isn't news at all.

-RM
The presumption I was making was that by putting additional buckets for biz whilst the amount of biz inventory presumably remains the same implies that Shenzhen will be better able to segment and offer cheaper biz fares. That being said this is all speculation.

- James
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Thanks for the heads up. I am flying Shenzhen airlines in two weeks. Its brand new A330 has entered services between PEK and SZX.

In case anyone cares, I have found Shenzhen Airlines a lot better than Air China. Cleaner planes, better services and catering, and better lounge. I typically pick them over CA on flights between PEK and SZX.
narvik likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.