Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying SFO to IAD Redeye

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Flying SFO to IAD Redeye

Flying this week for Labor Day Boeing 787 First Class Redeye from West Coast to East Coast. Says snacks for 11PM flight. Anyone give more light into this? Will there be real food on the plane or should I grab something in the airport?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Grab something.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
For red-eyes, I would grab something in the airport so you can maximize sleeping time on the flight. Sometimes service, whether a light snack or real food, can be slow.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ADeutsch
...? Will there be real food on the plane or should I grab something in the airport?
What's your definition of real food in this context. Full meals are not provided on domestic red-eyes
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Concur with the post above - eat beforehand. You’ll want to sleep this entire flight. Perhaps fall asleep before take off. I use ambien of such flights. Though I don’t take it until we are off the ground.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Definitely eat beforehand. Sadly, Boudin is closed for renovations (or was maybe a month ago?) but you can usually grab a sandwich from the deli.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:44 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Or eat before the airport. I have fond memories of The Proud Bird on La Cienega right by the airport

Second (third?) the suggestion to maximize sleep @:-)
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:01 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
This post in one of our "Let's Eat" threads re a red-eye (after dinner) IAD->LAX may be reflective of what's offered to domestic F on your flight.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30073048-post992.html
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Or eat before the airport. I have fond memories of The Proud Bird on La Cienega right by the airport

Second (third?) the suggestion to maximize sleep @:-)
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
This post in one of our "Let's Eat" threads re a red-eye (after dinner) IAD->LAX may be reflective of what's offered to domestic F on your flight.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30073048-post992.html

Am I hallucinating or did another thread get merged into this one? OP is originating from SFO, so you'd have to take a pit stop in LAX for that one.
nomad420 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
+1 to eat dinner at a normal hour, and then go to the airport and sleep the whole flight. Even that isn't enough sleep, but it gets you close. The 787 is at least trying to help on the sleep front.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Last 2 times I have taken a coast to coast redeye the snack has been the choice between a calzone, or salmon salad. Not very much to eat & I can concur that the service seemed slow, although most pax declined the meal and slept.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:52 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Am I hallucinating or did another thread get merged into this one? OP is originating from SFO, so you'd have to take a pit stop in LAX for that one.
Didn't mean to suggest that the OP was flying the identical route or direction. Merely cited another thread's post with a similar stage length flight and time of day to what the OP had booked.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Proud Bird is a great place...but it's outside LAX, not SFO.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:57 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Portolan
Proud Bird is a great place...but it's outside LAX, not SFO.
Right you are ...... think I got confused here somehow with the two CA hubs :blush:

But eat before the flight stands
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:23 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
You'll typically have 2 options for snacks - either a hot sandwich/calzone or salad with protein, along with a Ghirardelli chocolate square. I went with a chicken chopped salad before my nap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.