Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New routes SFO-AMS (30 Mar19),EWR-NAP (seasonal 22 May19),EWR-PRG(seasonal 06 June19)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
SFO-AMS year round 789 begins March 30 Daily
EWR - NAP summer seasonal 763 begins May 22 Daily
EWR - PRG summer seasonal 763 begins June 6 Daily
"Hello, Buongiorno, Ahoj, Hallo!"
United Airlines Announces New Nonstop Service to the Amalfi Coast, the Czech Republic and the Netherlands

August 30, 2018
CHICAGO, Aug. 30, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Strengthening the world's most comprehensive route network, United Airlines today announced customers have new international routes to choose from in 2019 including daily, year-round service between San Francisco and Amsterdam and new nonstop seasonal summer service between New York/Newark and Naples, Italy, the only nonstop flight from North America to Naples, as well as New York/Newark and Prague, subject to government approval. Tickets are now available for purchase on united.com or the United app.

"We've built an unparalleled global network and we continuously look for opportunities to make United the first choice for travelers booking flights to Europe and beyond," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network. "Whether customers are traveling for business or leisure, United offers more choice than ever before to connect to the places, people and moments that matter most."

New Daily, Year-Round Service Between San Francisco and Amsterdam
Beginning March 30, 2019, United will be the only U.S. carrier to offer nonstop service between San Francisco and Amsterdam and is the airline's fifth nonstop flight to the Netherlands. United currently operates daily, year-round services between Amsterdam and Chicago, Houston, New York/Newark and Washington Dulles.United has operated nonstop service to Amsterdam for more than 25 years and currently offers daily nonstop service between Amsterdam and its hubs in Chicago, Houston, New York/Newark and Washington, D.C.

New Summer Service Between New York/Newark and Naples, Italy
United will be the only carrier offering customers nonstop service between the U.S. and Naples, Italy, beginning May 22, 2019 through Oct. 4, 2019.United's daily, summer service will connect customers traveling from New York/Newark to Naples, Southern Italy's largest city. Visitors to Naples enjoy the city's castles, architecture, art and world-famous cuisine as well as nearby Mount Vesuvius, the volcano that destroyed the nearby Roman town of Pompeii. Naples also serves as a gateway to the Amalfi Coast, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and popular tourist destination.United's new service to Naples will be its sixth nonstop service to Italy and is conveniently timed for connecting customers from more than 60 destinations across the United States.

New Summer Service Between New York/Newark and Prague, Czech Republic
Beginning June 6, 2019 through Oct. 4, 2019, United will offer daily nonstop seasonal service between New York/Newark and Prague, also known as the Golden City, the City of a Hundred Spires and the jewel in the crown of Central Europe. Prague is considered one of Europe's most charming, colorful and beautiful cities and has become one of the most popular destinations in Central Europe. Visitors to Prague enjoy its Old Town Square lined with colorful baroque architecture, Gothic churches and its famous medieval astronomical clock, the Orloj. United's service to Prague is conveniently timed to connect customers from more than 65 destinations across the United States.

Building the world's best global route network
In addition to offering customers new service to Amsterdam, Naples and Prague, United is continuing to build its global network of nearly 360 international destinations in 49 countries. Next year United will resume nonstop seasonal service between eight U.S. airports and more than 20 destinations in Europe, the Caribbean and Mexico including popular destinations like Porto, Portugal; Reykjavik, Iceland; Athens, Greece and Venice, Italy. As previously announced, United will also begin the only nonstop service between Washington Dulles and Tel Aviv, Israel next year.
Print Wikipost

New routes SFO-AMS (30 Mar19),EWR-NAP (seasonal 22 May19),EWR-PRG(seasonal 06 June19)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: LH Silver, OK Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
OK uses their one and only A330 to fly to ICN (KE owns 49% of OK). Pretty much ALL OK flights are Int'l, just not to NA @:-)
Yes, OK flies PRG-ICN (4x/week) with the only A330 leased from KE but KE is no longer a shareholder in the company. Since October 2017, the majority shareholder (almost 98%) is Travel Service, with a mixed Czech-Chinese (50.1% - 49.9%) owner structure.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:05 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Mtargem
Yes, OK flies PRG-ICN (4x/week) with the only A330 leased from KE but KE is no longer a shareholder in the company. Since October 2017, the majority shareholder (almost 98%) is Travel Service, with a mixed Czech-Chinese (50.1% - 49.9%) owner structure.
Thanks for the update - that sounds worse for OK.

On the bright side, will be in Europe in two weeks, hopefully including PRG.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, UA, AA, CX, SQ
Originally Posted by Frederik123
So glad to see NAP in the UA route map. I am just wondering if there is enough demand for this skinny route
i wouldn’t be too worried, considering (1) Qatar M5S dba Air Italy has flown JFK NAP for a while, so they’ve helped establish some demand, and (2) it’s a low risk 4 month test, so losses are capped even in the worst case.

BLQ is the weirder choice because it’s a bit of jack of all trades master of none - it’s like the middle point among things like Lake Como, Cinque Terre, Venice, Florence, Pisa, and Tuscany ... and not awfully convenient for any of them.

but SFO AMS, esp year round, with a 789 instead of 763, is definitely a bold move. Feels to me UA managed to win/steal a major corporate contract that’s contingent on this route being launched.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:18 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Frederik123
So glad to see NAP in the UA route map. I am just wondering if there is enough demand for this skinny route
Tell your friends. I am. Greater NAP is an overlooked gem.

RNE, hoping UA prices flights attractively to goose ticket sales. ^
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by williambruno1975
BLQ is the weirder choice because it’s a bit of jack of all trades master of none - it’s like the middle point among things like Lake Como, Cinque Terre, Venice, Florence, Pisa, and Tuscany ... and not awfully convenient for any of them.
Agree. Bologna is a cool city, but not a place I’ve felt a need to spend more than 2-3 days. It’s a train ride or decent drive to any of the other, more popular Italian vacation destinations. Each of those places you note have a more convenient airport for access, and in the case of all but FLR, more international service.

I’m surprised AA feels it can drive enough traffic in that market to generate a decent return, especially from PHL.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Getting direct service to FLR would be fantastic, but I’m not sure the airport can handle it - it’s a tiny airport, and I would imagine the locals would complain if there were giant wide bodies flying in/out of the airport (I came there via a Lufthansa CityLine E195).
Old Sep 1, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by williambruno1975
but SFO AMS, esp year round, with a 789 instead of 763, is definitely a bold move. Feels to me UA managed to win/steal a major corporate contract that’s contingent on this route being launched.
I’m not entirely sure that’s the reason...I don’t think UA flies any 767 flights out of SFO to begin with, so is there a pilot base that would be able to handle that bird to begin with?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 3:50 pm

So excited about SFO-AMS! (as my username probably implies) Finally some competition for KLM/SkyTeam. It's really impressive to have all-year direct flights to AMS from 5 major US cities.
RNE likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 4:03 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by SFOAMS
So excited about SFO-AMS! (as my username probably implies) Finally some competition for KLM/SkyTeam. It's really impressive to have all-year direct flights to AMS from 5 major US cities.
One of my favorite cities! Glad for SFO'ers. Though the last thing Amsterdam needs in more visitors. I'm speaking as someone who's been visiting since 1970. Anymore, the city's core is thronging with people like I've never seen and the city is wearing a bit thin under the influx. It mostly other Europeans, I know, but still.

RNE, observing that sometimes a popular destination's very popularity is its undoing.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 4:09 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by RNE
One of my favorite cities! Glad for SFO'ers. Though the last thing Amsterdam needs in more visitors. I'm speaking as someone who's been visiting since 1970. Anymore, the city's core is thronging with people like I've never seen and the city is wearing a bit thin under the influx. It mostly other Europeans, I know, but still.

RNE, observing that sometimes a popular destination's very popularity is its undoing.
Yogi Berra, observing (5). "No one goes there nowadays, it’s too crowded."

From USA Today 50 Greatest Yogi Berra quotes.
RNE likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Getting direct service to FLR would be fantastic, but I’m not sure the airport can handle it - it’s a tiny airport, and I would imagine the locals would complain if there were giant wide bodies flying in/out of the airport (I came there via a Lufthansa CityLine E195).
FLR can't handle any large aircraft due to its runway length, so all of the bigger planes go to PSA. It's only about an hour away and it gives you a chance to quickly stop by the leaning tower on the way to Florence. I flew DL JFK-PSA about 3 years back when they had that nonstop seasonal flight and I was heading to Florence.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
i agree - FLR is a charming airport, but not well suited for wide bodies.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Has any Fter been aboard the new EWR-PRG flights in either direction? We are heading eastbound on that route in a couple of weeks. Any reports would be appreciated.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by transportprof
Has any Fter been aboard the new EWR-PRG flights in either direction? We are heading eastbound on that route in a couple of weeks. Any reports would be appreciated.
I'm flying EWR-PRG tonight. So far looking like an non-retrofitted 763. Returning next Friday. I had a colleague fly on the inaugural PRG-EWR flight and said one thing to note is there is an extra security check at the gate.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by villox
I had a colleague fly on the inaugural PRG-EWR flight and said one thing to note is there is an extra security check at the gate.
That's standard on all US inbound flights now, regardless of origin (though it may be done at check-in rather than the gate in some locations).

I feel so much safer.
EWR764 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.