Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2018 Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Major differences between Gold and Silver
  • Use *G lounges on international trips
  • Use *G lounges on domestic flights when departing from select US airports
  • 2 bags @ 70 lbs (vs 1 @ 70lbs -Silver increased from 50lbs 28 Sept 2018)
  • Boarding Group 1
  • Lower award booking and change fees
  • E+ at time of booking for yourself + 1.
  • Free Same Day Change (SDC)
  • Higher earning rate for RDMs (8 vs 7)
  • Higher on the upgrade list
  • Eligible for Marriott Gold Status via RewardsPlus
A summary of differences is available here: Premier benefits chart

Related threads
[Consolidated"I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Previous thread(s)
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2017 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2016 Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2018 Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MiltonFreedMan
I fly maybe 4-5 times a year and when I do I typically buy or upgrade to J - mostly domestic.
With that flying pattern, you're not going to see much benefit beyond what you already get with paid F. Free SDC would be the major one, and that's not worth an 8k PQM run IMO.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:29 pm

Thanks that's kinda what I thought too and I rarely even run into SDC ever
I could use an accelerator on my trip coming up but it's going to run me ~2K right now - perhaps the price drops at checkin
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:34 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

I could use an accelerator on my trip coming up but it's going to run me ~2K right now - perhaps the price drops at checkin
This close to EoY it is very doubtful price will come down.

That said, Gold really won't be of much benefit if you are in First. If you don't SDC, the only benefit would be E+ at booking (24 hours before flight for Silver), but if you're up front, not a benefit
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If being in striking range of Gold was a one-off event, no way 8k PQM is worth it especially if you buy F anyway. Gold is perhaps one of the best statuses for the cost, but you're missing out on basically all of its usefulness (E+ at booking, and *G when flying internationally), so I think it's hard to justify.
jsloan, Kacee and 8MiHi like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:16 pm

Awesome, that feedback is really helpful. Thanks guys
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: Hertz PC

Would it be worth $2k to get to gold? I'm thinking no. Opinions?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bhunt
...Would it be worth $2k to get to gold? I'm thinking no. Opinions?
That’s a lot of segments relative to spend. I’m thinking being able to select E+ at booking would be huge for you, but an E+ subscription might be better than spending $2k. Do you think you’d have significantly better CPU chances as a Gold on your more frequent routes?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Nope.

Probably a better investment is the E+ subscription purchase as suggested above.

David
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

That’s a lot of segments relative to spend. I’m thinking being able to select E+ at booking would be huge for you, but an E+ subscription might be better than spending $2k. Do you think you’d have significantly better CPU chances as a Gold on your more frequent routes?
I live about equal distance between mci/oma/dsm (1.5 hr driving) I fly mostly to other midwest cities and vegas. I have never had an issue getting E+ at checkin and get CPU'ed about 50% of the time as silver. (when I book I look for planes with empty fronts).
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I live about equal distance between mci/oma/dsm (1.5 hr driving) I fly mostly to other midwest cities and vegas. I have never had an issue getting E+ at checkin and get CPU'ed about 50% of the time as silver. (when I book I look for planes with empty fronts).
Well, if E+ at check-in isn't an issue and you're already at 50% for CPUs, another 10 CPUs as a Gold (just a wild guess) would cost $200/per if you spent the $2K to get it. Doesn't seem worthwhile. And not even an E+ subscription. Seems like you're actually in a good place (home and destinations) to derive pretty darn good benefits as a Silver.
jsloan and tstauck like this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:26 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

No.

Definitely NO.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
E+ subscription, plus Club card, plus buying some more F seems like a better use of $2k if you are so inclined.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Ended up booking a flight that was ~$1100 to cover for 8100 PQM and 450 PQD to keep Gold. I didn't fly much this year and going to be dropping from Plat...

E+/SDC is good too but especially *A gold track and international lounge access is nice to have for us since we visit Japan at least twice a year... my wife loves those ANA lounges.

Still, probably not worth $1100. I feel like I'm messed up in the head after booking the flight
Old Dec 4, 2018, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maverickar15
Ended up booking a flight that was ~$1100 to cover for 8100 PQM and 450 PQD to keep Gold. I didn't fly much this year and going to be dropping from Plat...

E+/SDC is good too but especially *A gold track and international lounge access is nice to have for us since we visit Japan at least twice a year... my wife loves those ANA lounges.

Still, probably not worth $1100. I feel like I'm messed up in the head after booking the flight
Honestly I think part of it is extracting some value out of the trip if you're going to be running for status credit. I ran for almost $3,000 last year to keep 1K but I spent a couple of days in OGG doing it and now that I've made 1K organically this year I find myself almost disappointed that I don't need to go make a PQD run
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by maverickar15

Gold is worth that if you enjoy the MR.
You have given the good reasons for achieving it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.