Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2018 Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Major differences between Gold and Silver
  • Use *G lounges on international trips
  • Use *G lounges on domestic flights when departing from select US airports
  • 2 bags @ 70 lbs (vs 1 @ 70lbs -Silver increased from 50lbs 28 Sept 2018)
  • Boarding Group 1
  • Lower award booking and change fees
  • E+ at time of booking for yourself + 1.
  • Free Same Day Change (SDC)
  • Higher earning rate for RDMs (8 vs 7)
  • Higher on the upgrade list
  • Eligible for Marriott Gold Status via RewardsPlus
A summary of differences is available here: Premier benefits chart

Related threads
[Consolidated"I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Previous thread(s)
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2017 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2016 Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2018 Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador/United 1K
James, really appreciate the summary there.

Sounds like upgrades outside of GS aren't likely on United, and the only way to earn the clout is spend a lot on United or fly a lot on United or both. Will try to up my game
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lincoln841
.... Sounds like upgrades outside of GS aren't likely on United ...
That is a bit of an over statement. Regularly being upgraded on hub-to-hub flights, that's tough but not unknown for 1Ks to occasional score. Lower elites it is much rarer.
Getting away from hub-to-hub and things can get better. But still best never to have an expectation of an upgrade, but they do happen -- off-peak, non-hub-to-hub.

So it depends on your travel patterns and depends on your expectations --- and higher status will make a difference.
And when not upgraded, E+ helps IMHO.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That is a bit of an over statement. Regularly being upgraded on hub-to-hub flights, that's tough but not unknown for 1Ks to occasional score. Lower elites it is much rarer.
Getting away from hub-to-hub and things can get better. But still best never to have an expectation of an upgrade, but they do happen -- off-peak, non-hub-to-hub.
As the resident 1K with the mythical 100% CPU percentage, upgrades are not impossible

That statistic is very misleading though, since I buy F when I want to sit up front and don't think I can get the upgrade. More like 15% of my flights are CPUed, and most of the rest I would not have been upgraded if I were in Y. As a 1K, I think the perspective is there are routes and times which are guaranteed CPUs (unless it's an Airbus, I always CPU on SFO-MSP and vv and it's not even close), there are many routes where you have a fighting chance, and if you're flying SFO-DCA or SFO-ORD on a Sunday then just admit the front cabin is 24/24 paid and no amount of status will get you a free upgrade.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:54 pm

Once you hit gold, can you choose Economy Plus seats on existing reservations? I assume yes, and it is not just bookings after you hit the status. Trying to decide if I should take a short trip to get to Gold (only 180 miles shy) so that my next long-haul, which is already booked, is at Gold status.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alf0906
Once you hit gold, can you choose Economy Plus seats on existing reservations?
Yes.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: UK Silver, UA Gold
Unfortunately i am stuck at 49166 PQM this week & have a bunch of international/US travel coming up starting Sunday - I wanted to take a couple of short flights on AI out of my home airport BOM this week but work schedule has been terrible and doesnt look like it will happen - besides AI flights take ages to post on my UA account. How long would UA take to update my status to Gold after my BOM-EWR-IAH flight this Sunday?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by deepakvalecha
Unfortunately i am stuck at 49166 PQM this week & have a bunch of international/US travel coming up starting Sunday - I wanted to take a couple of short flights on AI out of my home airport BOM this week but work schedule has been terrible and doesnt look like it will happen - besides AI flights take ages to post on my UA account. How long would UA take to update my status to Gold after my BOM-EWR-IAH flight this Sunday?
It takes two days for the PQMs to post. That's what happened last year after I returned from HKG (Tuesday). I was flying to MUC two days later (Thursday). When I checked-in, I was still Platinum. While I was waiting at the airport, my status changed to 1K.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Sep 19, 2018 at 7:29 am
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
BG1 for Gold is a nice change. As Platinum its a small step back with the 1Ks pre boarding, but as a MM who will not always be able to keep that status I like it.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:01 pm

Question Lounge access for UA*G domestic passengers?

Originally Posted by j2simpso
So airport lounge access when flying domestically might be a limited benefit for you based on where you're flying out of. The major airports in the US that allow UA domestic passengers to use lounge are IAD, LGA, LAX, DTW, BOS. The lounges at EWR and ORD can be accessed with some difficulty (i.e. terminal change and re-clearing security) ....
Sorry for the newbie question, but am I reading this correctly? United Club in IAD, LGA, LAX, DTW, BOS (EWR, ORD) is available to UA Gold passengers (without a Club membership; without a credit-card affiliation) traveling domestically?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by US_Usually
Sorry for the newbie question, but am I reading this correctly? United Club in IAD, LGA, LAX, DTW, BOS (EWR, ORD) is available to UA Gold passengers (without a Club membership; without a credit-card affiliation) traveling domestically?
No. However, there are *A partner clubs in those airports that do allow access.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
No. However, there are *A partner clubs in those airports that do allow access.
Thanks. I think I had heard that, but just haven't been in proximity to a partner club where I might try it out.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I personally wouldn’t chase any status beyond what naturally happens. Having done this in the past, and flying as much as I do, I can assure you that even If I was granted unlimited access to the Polaris lounge (been twice and loved it), I wouldn’t extend much beyond what I already fly.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Managed to hit Gold last month in the middle of a RDU-PEK P fare. Yesterday was my first time flying a Y ticket as Gold, I was on a W Fare so I was curious to see where I'd end up on the upgrade list

- DTW-IAD CR7: #3 of 7
- IAD-RDU 319: #7 of 17

Woohoo single digits! After three years of Silver I forgot what those looked like!
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
As the resident 1K with the mythical 100% CPU percentage, upgrades are not impossible
I just counted my UA segments for 2018 so far:

13 upgraded - 10 instruments, 3 CPU
13 paid premium cabin - at least 2 of these were buy-ups when it was obvious CPU wouldn't clear
2 single cabin aircraft
1 economy (SFO-SNA)
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:10 pm

So it looks like I'm going to be about 8K PQM short of gold at the end of the year based on what I have scheduled for Christmas travel.

Does it make sens to do a mileage run in the next couple weeks to get the miles for gold? I fly maybe 4-5 times a year and when I do I typically buy or upgrade to J - mostly domestic.
This year I got a ton of miles for a paid J TPAC trip I took - not likely next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.