Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Economy Plus for Companions if on separate PNR [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The elite benefit to guesting companions into E+ is clear IF on the same PNR
Silver - 1 companion at check-in
Gold - 1 companion at booking
Plat/1K/GS -- up to 8 companions at booking

What is the story if the companion(s) are not on the same PNR, so-called "off-PNR"?
There is no known published policy for this. It was there for pmUA but it disappeared after the merge and there were rumors it was gone.
Since then, elites have generally been able to get the same equivalent benefit even if the companions are not on the same PNR.
There are a few general requirements
-- The elite and companions need to on the same flight (this is essentially an absolute)
-- The elite and companions need to be in the same cabin at the time of the request (there has been some reported wiggly room on this but best to assume it is a hard requirement)
------ in the distant past, at one time, pmUA required the elite to be seated adjacent to the companions, that requirement disappeared years before the merger.
-- If a seat sweep occurs (due to an aircraft change and in some cases a schedule change) the companions may lose their E+ seats -- but the elite can call and get them re-assigned

Occasionally, an agent will claim this is not policy. Don't push it, as there is no written policy, but HUCA

Related threads Economy Plus for Companions: Now must be on same PNR -while this was first reported after the merger and turned out not to be true, it was likely pmCO agents or confusion do the lack of a published policy
Print Wikipost

Economy Plus for Companions if on separate PNR [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mayday23
So one more question...If i have a flight at 210p today, can I SDC to the same flight Friday at 210p (SMF-ORD)? I would think "no" since I need to SDC right when the plane is taking off today.....
No, you will not be able to do that with a single SDC.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by mayday23
All the fares before 210p Friday are very expensive, so i can't SDC to those. Unless I'm missing something.
You are 1K, correct? If so, fare *price* doesn't matter, as long as the same fare CLASS is available. For example, if you're in a G fare, and there's a G fare on the new flight before 2:10, then you can switch to that flight for free. Or, maybe I'm missing something and not understanding your question...
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
You are 1K, correct? If so, fare *price* doesn't matter, as long as the same fare CLASS is available. For example, if you're in a G fare, and there's a G fare on the new flight before 2:10, then you can switch to that flight for free. ....
Very doubtful the is a G fae available for purchase this closeinfor a domestic fare. The "high fares" are probably also higher fare class -- OP will need for the lower fare classes to open up for SDC and there is a risk that may not happen if flights are heavily booked.

In a quick survey, most alternatives on Friday are sold out in economy or all zeros for fare classes below H, probably best to get on the phone and hopefully an agent can find somthing. Ultimate getting to the 2:0 Friday non-stop looks challenging as it is H1 and then all zeros.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 28, 2019 at 1:09 pm
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Is there a United rule defining "companion" for E+ purposes?

Today I called the premier line to move my colleague into E+, who is on the same itinerary, but different PNR, as I am. The agent lectured me telling me that companions must be family members, not friends or colleagues. The agent made the change, but made a big deal about waiving the E+ fee "just this one time" and that as a Platinum I "should know better" and should only call in to move family members into E+.

I think the agent was totally mistaken, perhaps from the Continental-side and is somehow...it's 2019 now...still unfamiliar how the companion rule works.

Anyone else get push back from phone agents when moving people into E+, but not sitting next to them?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: United Premier Plat
HUACA

Originally Posted by Wuke

Today I called the premier line to move my colleague into E+, who is on the same itinerary, but different PNR, as I am. The agent lectured me telling me that companions must be family members, not friends or colleagues. The agent made the change, but made a big deal about waiving the E+ fee "just this one time" and that as a Platinum I "should know better" and should only call in to move family members into E+.

I think the agent was totally mistaken, perhaps from the Continental-side and is somehow...it's 2019 now...still unfamiliar how the companion rule works.

Anyone else get push back from phone agents when moving people into E+, but not sitting next to them?
I say it’s a total HUACA situation - I’ve granted E+ bumps to plenty of friends and colleagues, and each time I was open about who they were. I was never told no, as long as they were on the same flight as me & E+ seats were available.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Wuke

The agent was making things up. There is n restriction on who your companion for upgrading to E+ must be. The agent should know better.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Can you so this at check-in or is it better to call in? I ask as I have a companion travelling on different PNR but same flights. I applied an RPU for them so I suspect they will be upgraded as I normally get a CPU for the flight and would rather just ask at the airport.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Can you so this at check-in or is it better to call in?.....
You can do this any time you are eligible for E+ access on the same flight. At purchase, before travel, at the airport.
You will need to talk to an agent to do this and if done early, you may need to check from time to time if there has been a seating sweep and the non-elite was pushed back to E-.
The later you wait may limit access to "better" seats.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: United 1K
As a 1k, I was able to request economy+ for a companion on the same flight, but in a different cabin.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Resonant Programmer
As a 1k, I was able to request economy+ for a companion on the same flight, but in a different cabin.
An accommodating agent can do almost anything -- but as an unwritten rule YMMV.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Just to make sure - I'm planning to call in at T-24 to change both my and my companion (on a different PNR) to E+. 2 flights, both flying & connecting together.

do we

a) both need to be checked in first to be able to assign E+ or can we check in later?
b) can we change seats for both flights on our itinerary at T-24 or do we have to call again once our second, connecting flight reaches T-24? I'm hoping to just call in once to assign all 4 seats for the 2 flights.

EDIT: Only UA Silver atm hence the check-in for E+ restriction.

Last edited by Smiley90; Dec 8, 2019 at 5:35 pm
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Just to make sure - I'm planning to call in at T-24 to change both my and my companion (on a different PNR) to E+. 2 flights, both flying & connecting together.

do we

a) both need to be checked in first to be able to assign E+ or can we check in later?
b) can we change seats for both flights on our itinerary at T-24 or do we have to call again once our second, connecting flight reaches T-24? I'm hoping to just call in once to assign all 4 seats for the 2 flights.

EDIT: Only UA Silver atm hence the check-in for E+ restriction.
To answer my own questions:

A) No we didn't need to be checked in
B) could assign seats for the second flight even though it was >T-24

However the agent said she was making "an exception" and that UA doesn't provide free E+ for companions on separate PNRs. Not sure how accurate that was but ALAS.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 4:18 pm

My brother and I have two different tickets to go to the same place. Just called and was able to get my brother to be upgraded to Economy Plus for Free.

Premier Gold here.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by UACPAFlier
My brother and I have two different tickets to go to the same place. Just called and was able to get my brother to be upgraded to Economy Plus for Free.

Premier Gold here.
Yes, very standard

Do watch the seat assignment because this is not a hard assignment and during aircraft changes an off-pnr companion can be moved back to regular economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.