Spotting Basic Economy in Fare Rules?

Old Aug 7, 22, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Spotting Basic Economy in Fare Rules?

Is there a reliable way to spot a Basic Economy ticket in the Fare Rules?

I am trying to book a specific transatlantic itinerary (from Europe to US and back) in Economy class. When I go through kayak.com to united.com, I can find the itinerary I want. However, I want to avoid Basic Economy. Kayak isn't clear if that's avoided or not, and that specific checkout-page of united.com doesn't even mention the cabin class at all.

The fares I get are TNCDXE8/DXT1 and LNCDXE8/DXT1. I think it is Economy, because the 1st piece of checked luggage is included. But is that sufficient? I kow that travel agencies can book different packages, so maybe there is a transatlantic Basic Economy with prepaid luggage?

TNX
Old Aug 7, 22, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sokolov View Post
Is there a reliable way to spot a Basic Economy ticket in the Fare Rules?

I am trying to book a specific transatlantic itinerary (from Europe to US and back) in Economy class. When I go through kayak.com to united.com, I can find the itinerary I want. However, I want to avoid Basic Economy. Kayak isn't clear if that's avoided or not, and that specific checkout-page of united.com doesn't even mention the cabin class at all.

The fares I get are TNCDXE8/DXT1 and LNCDXE8/DXT1. I think it is Economy, because the 1st piece of checked luggage is included. But is that sufficient? I kow that travel agencies can book different packages, so maybe there is a transatlantic Basic Economy with prepaid luggage?

TNX
The ticket endorsements are probably the most foolproof way: this is from a sample AMS-IAH fare:

THE ORIGINAL AND THE REISSUED TICKET MUST BE ANNOTATED
- NRF-BE/NOCHGDAFTDPT/NOASR - IN THE ENDORSEMENT BOX.

That’s Non-ReFundable Basic Economy; NO CHanGes AFTer DeParTure; NO Advanced Seat Reservation. For TATL, the fare basis will also end in LGT, although it’s the endorsements that carry the meaning.

Your fare does not appear to be BE.
sokolov and scottpenderson like this.

Last edited by jsloan; Aug 7, 22 at 10:22 pm
Old Aug 7, 22, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
The ticket endorsements are probably the most foolproof way: this is from a sample AMS-IAH fare:
THE ORIGINAL AND THE REISSUED TICKET MUST BE ANNOTATED
- NRF-BE/NOCHGDAFTDPT/NOASR - IN THE ENDORSEMENT BOX.
Thats Non-ReFundable Basic Economy; NO CHanGes AFTer DeParTure; NO Advanced Seat Reservation. The fare basis will also end in LGT, although its the endorsements that carry the meaning.

There's a 'D' (the first one) missing in your lovely acronym.

Perhaps NO CHanGes alloweD AFTer DeParTure?
scottpenderson likes this.
Old Aug 7, 22, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, Marriott Titanium
For TATL market, you are good as long as the main part of the fare rule not ending with LGT.
Old Aug 7, 22, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje View Post
There's a 'D' (the first one) missing in your lovely acronym.

Perhaps NO CHanGes alloweD AFTer DeParTure?
LOL, I didnt even notice, and I cant imagine what thats for.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 8, 22, 9:44 am

Can you use google flights to find the same itinerary? Then you can book via the carrier's sight (much smarter than booking third party anyways) and you can confirm fare class.
Old Aug 8, 22, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Thats Non-ReFundable Basic Economy; NO CHanGes AFTer DeParTure; NO Advanced Seat Reservation. For TATL, the fare basis will also end in LGT, although its the endorsements that carry the meaning.

You would think. It shows that it includes free checked luggage, and the fare rules have nothing about no changes. And it does not say a word about Basic Economy - unless I get to to the page where I have to pay. THERE, it suddenly says "Basic Economy". That website is so fugged up.

Originally Posted by DutchessPDX View Post
Can you use google flights to find the same itinerary? Then you can book via the carrier's sight (much smarter than booking third party anyways) and you can confirm fare class.
I *am* booking on united.com.
If I go through Google Flights, I always get

Error

Were sorry, but united.com was unable to complete your request.

• Please try again later or contact Web Support in the U.S. and Canada at 800-825-2296, in the U.K. at 0800 028 5003 or elsewhere at the local phone number.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 8, 22 at 2:00 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 8, 22, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You would think. It shows that it includes free checked luggage, and the fare rules have nothing about no changes. And it does not say a word about Basic Economy - unless I get to to the page where I have to pay. THERE, it suddenly says "Basic Economy". That website is so fugged up.
Book it and then see what endorsements show on the receipt.

If it turns out to be Basic Economy, you have 24 hours to cancel for a full refund.
Old Aug 8, 22, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

I finally found a fare where it does not switch to Basic Economy on the payment page. So I clicked "Buy now". But it does not buy, it changes the price again to the lower fare (that was Basic Economy before but now does not show Basic Economy, instead it is a Senior Fare now). Clicking Buy on that results in an error message.

This is insane.
SPN Lifer and scottpenderson like this.
Old Aug 8, 22, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I finally found a fare where it does not switch to Basic Economy on the payment page. So I clicked "Buy now". But it does not buy, it changes the price again to the lower fare (that was Basic Economy before but now does not show Basic Economy, instead it is a Senior Fare now). Clicking Buy on that results in an error message.

This is insane.
At this point, I'd be calling web support rather than wrangling with the website.
Old Aug 8, 22, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

At this point, I'd be calling web support rather than wrangling with the website.
I tried, but the wait time was so long I eventually gave up. I'll try booking KLM tonight.
Old Aug 8, 22, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold
For domestic flights, the second to last letter indicates if it's basic economy or not, unsure if this applies to international flights. If it's "B", then it's a basic economy fare. Most "normal" economy fares have "E" for domestic but occasionally it is "D" and I'm not sure what the difference is. The last letter N or M signifies whether the fare is restricted vs. unrestricted.

"RULE APPLICATION AND OTHER CONDITIONS" section will also mention "BASIC ECONOMY" somewhere in there.

In your case, TNCDX"E"8 is most likely NOT a Basic Economy fare.
Old Aug 8, 22, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leftysauce View Post
For domestic flights, the second to last letter indicates if it's basic economy or not, unsure if this applies to international flights. If it's "B", then it's a basic economy fare. Most "normal" economy fares have "E" for domestic but occasionally it is "D" and I'm not sure what the difference is. The last letter N or M signifies whether the fare is restricted vs. unrestricted.

"RULE APPLICATION AND OTHER CONDITIONS" section will also mention "BASIC ECONOMY" somewhere in there.

In your case, TNCDX"E"8 is most likely NOT a Basic Economy fare.
The 'B' in second to last letter is only true for domestic fares. As noted above, for TATL fares the fare basis code will end in "LGT" for BE fares.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and sokolov like this.

Search this Thread