Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Miles or Wait?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Buy Miles or Wait?

I currently have 43,000 miles and need 37,000 more to fly first class with EVA. My flight is one way from TPE-LAX in early December so I have some time. I'm definitely not going to spend enough money to get 47,000 but any historical data showing that United will offer another bonus program during the next few months?

Thanks!
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:06 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MyCoalFlyerTalk
I currently have 43,000 miles and need 37,000 more to fly first class with EVA. My flight is one way from TPE-LAX in early December so I have some time. ...
Be aware award space can disappear at any time. Remember 'a bird in the hand, ..."

any historical data showing that United will offer another bonus program during the next few months?...
While incomplete, that data on FT can be found in
Purchase Miles (RDMs) sales / discounts / bonuses [Consolidated 2018]

Purchase Miles (RDMs) sales / discounts / bonuses [Consolidated 2017]

Purchase Miles (RDMs) sales / discounts / bonuses [Consolidated 2016]

Purchase Miles (RDMs) sales / discounts / bonuses [Consolidated 2015]

However, there is a cheaper but a bit more complex, not as flexibility alternative that is always available - Award / Premier Accelerator and Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions

United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2018]
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I currently have 43,000 miles and need 37,000 more to fly first class with EVA. My flight is one way from TPE-LAX in early December so I have some time. I'm definitely not going to spend enough money to get 47,000 but any historical data showing that United will offer another bonus program during the next few months?

Thanks!
Is there nonstop flight availability on the day that you want? If not, you definitely shouldn't buy the miles. If there is, I'd suggest buying the miles rather than waiting, as no sale that UA offers is going to make up for losing the award seat.

If you search the forum for Award Accelerator (ed: HT to WineCountryUA for providing the links), you can find a method that will allow you to buy miles for between 1.9-2.5 cents each (although you can't easily control how many miles you're offered). That's a major savings over what UA charges to buy them directly.

Also, note that EVA doesn't have First Class, but that their Royal Laurel Business Class service is superb.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Okay my fear is that I'm going to lose my seat. Thanks everyone I'll just buy the miles, it's still going to be cheaper than if I bought the tickets outright.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.