Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GPU upgrade availability

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:07 am
Original Poster

GPU upgrade availability

Is there a tricky to finding availability more easily than searching for a route on United's site, and then clicking "Details" for every result hoping to see something other than "R0" ?
I have 12 GPUs in my account, and haven't been able to use any for almost a year now since i started accruing them.
Mostly I'm flying from DUB, sometimes via LHR, to hubs in the US (SFO, ORD, EWR...).
Sometimes it feels almost pointless to have GPUs and i'm wondering if I'm doing it wrong :-(
mdtakamine likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Aloomatar
Is there a tricky to finding availability more easily than searching for a route on United's site, and then clicking "Details" for every result hoping to see something other than "R0" ?
I have 12 GPUs in my account, and haven't been able to use any for almost a year now since i started accruing them.
Mostly I'm flying from DUB, sometimes via LHR, to hubs in the US (SFO, ORD, EWR...).
Sometimes it feels almost pointless to have GPUs and i'm wondering if I'm doing it wrong :-(
GPU Availability = √-1

Totally imaginary.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
They are not imaginary. There are threads like "RPUs and GPUs are totally useless" as well as threads such as "RPU success" or "GPU success" for the year. Your mileage may vary. Many of us are happy (myself) with them. Many of us are horribly upset (nomad420 and yourself).

It comes down to: flexibility. Are you booking on business heavy days where the plane is 100% sold out? Are you booking last minute? I've been upgraded to LHR both ways from LAX/SFO, so it does exist. It's not "imaginary"

A better way to search would be going to "Advanced" and then selecting "GPU" as an Upgrade. It will then give you green/yellow icons to indicate available GPU space or waitlisted GPU space respectively. Might be a bit faster than scrolling through each flight looking for R space.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
A few thoughts, noting this is already in the GPU availablity thread.

1. Look by segment, and not by route.
2. You will rarely find R on popular routes.
3. A pseudo-proxy for R is IN. If the seat's available in Saver Business, it's most likely in R. Then you can search via award calendars.
3. If you have 12 GPUs this year, you're above 150K and clearly a 1K.
4. But if you are that high and a GS, a totally different set of circumstances exist.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only trick is to be flexible -- dates, locations, and connections, whenever possible -- and search between gateway cities. If you can't find anything on DUB-EWR or LHR-EWR, try BRU-EWR or AMS-EWR or LHR-IAD or.. etc.

Note that you can also use your GPUs on Lufthansa.

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
GPU Availability = √-1

Totally imaginary.
UA must have some complex seats, then, since all of the GPUs I've used this year have cleared at booking.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes, expert mode is really the only good way to search for R. TATL to the west coast can be a challenge, but it does exist. Seen it recently on SFO-LHR, FRA, and ZRH.

Originally Posted by aacharya
A pseudo-proxy for R is IN. If the seat's available in Saver Business, it's most likely in R. Then you can search via award calendars.
I wouldn't recommend that. Just based on what I've seen, I'd guess that IN availability is something like 1/10 R availability. In other words, you'll miss something like 9/10 upgrades if you base the search on award availability.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Welcome to FT and to my pain.
Call me cheep but the difference between a GPU up gradable flight and a business ticket hasn't been great enough for me to bite. I have found them great for domestic UG's and 'gifting' friends who are not permitted to but business/first.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
In my recent searching.....R availability is currently poor to Europe but better for Asia. A few years ago it was the opposite. So searching and not seeing anything may just indicate no availability.

My most frequent domestic routes almost never have R availability at booking but I did find space for DCA-IAH for travel on Tuesday of this week, booking about ten days out. And the IAH-DCA leg on Monday cleared six days before departure. I cleared one ORD-IAH Thursday afternoon flight earlier this year which I considered a near miracle. As expected IAH-LAS and LAS-IAH did not clear earlier this summer.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:23 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
The LHR flights to/from DEN usually have R>1. No Polaris lounge though.

Just did a quick search for a couple of days out and seeing R>1 confirmable on LHR to DEN, EWR, IAD, IAD, IAH, LAX, and ORD.

Edit: found SFO with R9 about a week out:

Also seeing DUB-EWR with R7:

Last edited by mr8; Aug 16, 2018 at 10:38 pm
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mr8
The LHR flights to/from DEN usually have R>1. No Polaris lounge though.

Just did a quick search for a couple of days out and seeing R>1 confirmable on LHR to DEN, EWR, IAD, IAD, IAH, LAX, and ORD.

Edit: found SFO with R9 about a week out:

Also seeing DUB-EWR with R7:
these both prove my IN theory correct
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It shows that if there's IN/I, there will be R. But that's a given. If that's not true, it's an inventory error.

There will be many, many times, however, when flights are R>0 and IN0, I0. Using your theory, you'll miss a very high percentage of upgradeable flights.

Example:

Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:57 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
It's not always correct though.

I booked LAX-MEL-LAX and LAX-SIN-LAX. GPUs on both directions (separate trips). IN was 0 for all segments. R was 9, 1, 3, 1 respectively. Your theory is decent, but you risk cutting yourself off of flights that might have space, mainly the R=1-4.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 5:41 am

Absolutely not pointless, GPUs and to a lesser extent RPUs are making me seriously reconsider my re-qualification strategy for UA (i.e. why not fly the extra 50K miles to get 6 global upgrades every year, it'll more than pay for the capital outspend you have). If you don't believe me, I'd encourage you to look at the spreadsheet I put together tracking the GPU successes on FT this year (click GPU Offers tab) - you'll see there were over 275 legs that were upgraded this year thanks to GPUs. In creating the spreadsheet I found there were three general strategies used to secure those GPUs:
  • Booking far enough in advance (i.e. months) to cherry pick the dates/routings that have R space available so that the upgrade can be confirmed at booking
  • Change or better yet (free) SDC to another flight/routing once R availability pops up after they've booked
  • Hang on for the (waitlist) ride and hope the upgrade clears by the time you get to the gate
GPUs aren't for the faint of heart. If you want an easy upgrade system go with BA cash+points Avios upgrade or AC's eUpgrade system but don't come back complaining when you find the options to upgrade are limited and require you to jump through many hoops.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
It's not always correct though.

I booked LAX-MEL-LAX and LAX-SIN-LAX. GPUs on both directions (separate trips). IN was 0 for all segments. R was 9, 1, 3, 1 respectively. Your theory is decent, but you risk cutting yourself off of flights that might have space, mainly the R=1-4.
Yep, I get that it will miss something. But the OP (and many others) don't wish to look day by day as you and others might. It's a helpful tool for a quick search as long as one understands the limitations.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by Kacee
It shows that if there's IN/I, there will be R. But that's a given. If that's not true, it's an inventory error.

There will be many, many times, however, when flights are R>0 and IN0, I0. Using your theory, you'll miss a very high percentage of upgradeable flights.

Example:

Yup.

I never watch waitlisted flights when P=0. When PN > 0, I start to get interested. If PN=9, an UG is almost a certainty.

P opens before PN which opens before R which opens well before I(N).

So, it is absolutely true that the existence of I space in predictive of R, but the converse is not true. Consider IN a "square" and R a "rectangle". If you're only searching for squares, you're gonna miss a lot of rectangles. Focus on the parallelograms (PN) instead (which you can't search for, I don't think) for better indicators.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.