Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GPU upgrade availability

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by j2simpso
In creating the spreadsheet I found there were three general strategies used to secure those GPUs:
  • Booking far enough in advance (i.e. months) to cherry pick the dates/routings that have R space available so that the upgrade can be confirmed at booking
  • Change or better yet (free) SDC to another flight/routing once R availability pops up after they've booked
  • Hang on for the (waitlist) ride and hope the upgrade clears by the time you get to the gate

I certainly appreciate the work you've done James, thank you!

It's just frustrating to try to use GPUs (mostly EU to US and back) several times and never have them clear.

Currently I'm trying to book flights 2 months out (I've actually been looking at this since 3+ months out) and have seen no R availability for instant upgrades at all.

Another poster said this is availability from LHR a few days/weeks out so maybe I just need to waitlist and hope.

The flights from DUB almost *always* travel full on all classes, so I wouldn't be surprised if United just didn't want to open up upgrade space. It's pretty much guaranteed to sell here.
And I think that's why the frustration exists.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Aloomatar
I certainly appreciate the work you've done James, thank you!

It's just frustrating to try to use GPUs (mostly EU to US and back) several times and never have them clear.

Currently I'm trying to book flights 2 months out (I've actually been looking at this since 3+ months out) and have seen no R availability for instant upgrades at all.

Another poster said this is availability from LHR a few days/weeks out so maybe I just need to waitlist and hope.

The flights from DUB almost *always* travel full on all classes, so I wouldn't be surprised if United just didn't want to open up upgrade space. It's pretty much guaranteed to sell here.
And I think that's why the frustration exists.
use them on LH ... they clear almost always. Haven't had a single one fail for me.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
use them on LH ... they clear almost always. Haven't had a single one fail for me.
Out of curiosity can you double GPU on L (i.e. Y -> F)? I suspect if that's the case than you'd have an appealing argument to make for connecting through FRA and dealing with the gong show there!

-James
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Out of curiosity can you double GPU on L (i.e. Y -> F)? ...
on LH, no

I is not eligible fare class for the use of GPUs
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Out of curiosity can you double GPU on L (i.e. Y -> F)? I suspect if that's the case than you'd have an appealing argument to make for connecting through FRA and dealing with the gong show there!

-James
no, but you can upgrade P --> O which is a ridiculous value for a GPU.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
no, but you can upgrade P --> O which is a ridiculous value for a GPU.
Yes, LH allows this, if booked as an LH flight number.

Just to prevent questions on this, this will not work for UA codeshares presently -- as UA is not agreeing to change to LH native flight numbers to take advantage of this and UA website has not been changed to reflect this possibility.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.