Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to earn miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChrisHubbard
From taking to my co-worker, once he knows the city pairs he will start looking at flights on kayak or whatever, and once he finds one he likes he'll email our travel department and request it. Like I said, I am a little hesitant to do so myself being that I'm new to the company.
I agree; I'd hesitate too. However, if you're good at finding useful alternatives, most people will happily accept help. Once you get to know the people in the travel department, I'm sure you'll get a sense for whom you can approach without stepping on anybody's toes.

Since it's already August, you likely won't qualify for Global Services or its equivalent this year anyway. It might make sense to go with the flow for the next several months and see which program you prefer; then, in January, you might think about testing the waters on pointing your travel department in the direction you'd prefer.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
I agree; I'd hesitate too. However, if you're good at finding useful alternatives, most people will happily accept help. Once you get to know the people in the travel department, I'm sure you'll get a sense for whom you can approach without stepping on anybody's toes.

Since it's already August, you likely won't qualify for Global Services or its equivalent this year anyway. It might make sense to go with the flow for the next several months and see which program you prefer; then, in January, you might think about testing the waters on pointing your travel department in the direction you'd prefer.
This is good advice. I will have a much better feel for things in a couple of months .
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ChrisHubbard
I will know potentially a week in advance what my city pairs might be, and then roughly 24-48hrs prior to departure I will know my PNR and airline. I do not book anything myself. One upside is that they are buying fairly late minute meaning high PQD and usually full fare J.

From taking to my co-worker, once he knows the city pairs he will start looking at flights on kayak or whatever, and once he finds one he likes he'll email our travel department and request it. Like I said, I am a little hesitant to do so myself being that I'm new to the company.
Along those same lines, once you get a city pair, you can use kayak or google flights and then find a flight you want, then ask for maybe a travel time of 4pm or something like that. Kind of like not asking for a specific flight, but if they come down to a choice and everything else is relatively equal, but they know you prefer X time, it might be enough to steer them to get you the flights you want.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Along those same lines, once you get a city pair, you can use kayak or google flights and then find a flight you want, then ask for maybe a travel time of 4pm or something like that. Kind of like not asking for a specific flight, but if they come down to a choice and everything else is relatively equal, but they know you prefer X time, it might be enough to steer them to get you the flights you want.
Unfortunately this will not work. They are free to book us at any time they choose as long as it works for subsequent scheduling.

I just got my travel details for FRA-DFW, it is on DL in C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.