Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Onboard employee attention to a passenger friend -- When does it go too far?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Onboard employee attention to a passenger friend -- When does it go too far?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FLYMSY

Agreed. I really don’t see much of anything in this particular situation, but the rest of us weren’t there. Anyone who flies the same route regularly will get to know the flight attendants and probably have a friendly relationship with them. In turn, the FAs will recognize them as regulars and stop by to talk during the flight, maybe comp them a drink , if in economy, etc. I’ve come to know many flight attendants on my regular routes and have had many personal conversations about family, pets, work, shown photos of kids, grandkids, cats, dogs, vacations, etc. and received hugs and kisses. With that said, in my experience, the FAs don’t let it interfere with doing their job properly.

Does anyone think that Tom Stuker doesn’t get preferential treatment on a plane? I’m sure that he’s not the only very frequent flyer that does.
So you've witnessed kissing and touching and significantly improved service (extra drinks, etc) between passengers and FA's? That's why I brought it up - I've seen everything you've referred to for years - this was a new level (to me).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 10, 2018 at 12:55 pm Reason: removed response to deleted content
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:42 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
OP - does PDA mean something other than "public display of affection" to you? Was something lost in translation here?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
OP - does PDA mean something other than "public display of affection" to you? Was something lost in translation here?
Nope -Kissing and touching and tons of attention with zero attempt to hide -- what I call PDA but I know I'm old lol...
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Supima, if what you saw made you uncomfortable, and you seem to have a number of years of flying experience, then I would contact Customer Care at United and share with them your experience. You can tell them you have the photos if they would like you to share those with them. I personally do not think PDA is appropriate by someone who is working, they are there to represent their employer. However, I also do not think FT is the place to get the issue resolved. If you were uncomfortable in the environment created by a United employee then you need to let United know.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:23 pm

Wow, this is petty even for FT. Unless the FA was behaving in an unsafe manner, ignored other passengers, or otherwise provided bad service you should delete those photos and MYOB
tuolumne, schley and Imstevek like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 10, 2018 at 1:42 pm Reason: discuss the issue;not the poster(s)
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Supima
I could see that the other FA's weren't comfortable with it either, but I said nothing.... What would you have done?
In this case, I would have also mentioned it to an FA in a casual manner like "They're getting cozy in 3B, aren't they?" to let them know that passengers were also noticing.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The OP has explicitly stated in subsequent post that s/he witnessed kissing and touching between the FA and passenger. That is the definition of PDA, so I’m really confused by all the people saying this was not PDA.

Its also irrelevant to the topic, which is whether or not such PDA is appropriate, and I am of the camp that it is absolutely not appropriate for an on duty employee in uniform to act that way in the workplace. I would consider this a fireable offense, tbh.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
The OP has explicitly stated in subsequent post that s/he witnessed kissing and touching between the FA and passenger. That is the definition of PDA, so I’m really confused by all the people saying this was not PDA.

Its also irrelevant to the topic, which is whether or not such PDA is appropriate, and I am of the camp that it is absolutely not appropriate for an on duty employee in uniform to act that way in the workplace. I would consider this a fireable offense, tbh.
Most questioning of whether this was PDA came before Supima's subsequent post. The OP, pics included, was ambiguous, by Supima's own admission in an attempt not to be inflammatory.
Yellowjj likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles

OP clarified in subsequent posts but if we were to judge solely by the pictures he posted, there wasn't any PDA.

However only if the service received was inadequate in comparison to this one passenger would I make a complaint. Otherwise some things you just let go. OP stated that the other FA's saw; if there indeed was a issue, the lead would write up a report if need be.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
If you have PDA photos, submit them along with your complaint to UA, especially if it seemed he was upgraded out of turn.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
If you feel service was lacking due to a specific emphasis on a passenger (for whatever reason), then submit a complaint based on that. You could offer your own experience (seemed to give specific attention to a friend/fellow passenger) and that took away the level of service that you received personally. That would be my advice. I think the advice offered in post #21 is good as well. Alerting the crew in-flight could inform them that passengers are noticing as well.

It's not petty to post this thread, put yourself in his/her shoes. If you felt like you didn't receive a level of service that you were supposed to (the OP is not a DYKWIA, let's get that out of the way now), wouldn't you feel 'wronged' or 'meh' at least? That's what the OP is going through. Focus on one specific seat of the cabin led to a degraded service level for the rest. Who cares if there was PDA? Who cares what PDA is/was/will be/etc? Who cares if they were only taking selfies every 10 minutes? Who cares if they simply talked every 5 minutes? It doesn't matter, don't get lost in the details. The OP felt like there was a service issue because of this and is asking for advice on what could have been done to gently let the crew or this specific FA know that others are noticing.

But now we're turning this post into a "let's bash non-rev passengers" thread or a "the OP is petty" thread.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 10, 2018 at 4:11 pm Reason: discuss the issues, not the poster{s}
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:12 pm

Isn't the real problem here a lack if professionalism from the FA? Would an employee consorting with family and friends in full view of other customers be acceptable in any other premium customer service environment? If I were the OP I'd submit a constructive complaint.
txaggiemiles likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:42 pm

At the hospital where I work, we are admonished about any PDA between employees (Physician/Physician, Physician/Nurse, Nurse/Nurse, etc.).

For the simple fact that the optics of it look wrong,

In fact HR even said, it does not matter that the PDA does not affect patient care, the optics are wrong and thus it is inappropriate and could result in disciplinary action if reported.

I can more than understand the Flight Attendant's whatevers excitement, I too was once excited by Business class. However, the Flight Attendant should have showed more professionalism and not taken selfies with him nor given him any special treatment at the detrement of other passengers.

Maybe he should have quietly said, hey enjoy and once we land and my duties are completed we can take selfies, etc. but now I have to work and need to pay attention to all the passengers and not just you.

One of the nurses husband is a Flight Attendant and my wife and I happened to be flying a flight he was working. We saw him upon boarding and said, he asked where were seated and wished us a nice flight.

Another flight attendant was handing out drinks and she slipped us doubles and then fake charged our credit card. While that was showing us preference it was done in a quiet not ostentatious way and did not disturb any other passengers and while one could argue just as inappropriate, it was done in much more appropriate fashion.
​​​
Does it happen all the time, absolutely, is there anything that can really be done about it, no probably not. With that said, Flight Attendants want to be considered professionals who are here primarily for our safety and security, and thus should show more professionalism or they aren't being professional and should not be taken as such.

​​​​​​Maybe I am being harsh, but it is truly how I see it.

Last edited by kmersh; Aug 10, 2018 at 3:49 pm
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Even if one feels excessive PDA was happening - my opinion is photos are completely unnecessary. One can make a complaint and a point by writing customer care with details - pictures, especially the ones posted in this thread - seem way over the top.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Please post all PDA photos. We will decide if they are appropriate or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.