Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Onboard employee attention to a passenger friend -- When does it go too far?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

as recently on a UA international flight in J and witnessed what I consider to be an uncomfortable level of FA / PAX PDA -- both before and during the flight. The FA's friend was upgraded at the gate and he was very happy (we spoke before we got on the plane and this seemed to be his first premium cabin experience).

We were VERY delayed and every five minutes events like these pics occurred. While I don't mind a little bit of personal interaction between couples to me it was so over the top I actually took pictures -- these are just the ones before departure and not nearly as bad as it got -- it actually escalated during flight.... I could see that the other FA's weren't comfortable with it either, but I said nothing.... What would you have done?

Last edited by Supima; Aug 11, 2018 at 9:31 am Reason: Want to close topic
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I don't see a PDA. I see some friends taking a selfie and talking...

What am I missing? Oh, wait....I think I know....

Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I don't see a PDA. I see some friends taking a selfie and talking... What am I missing? Oh, wait..I think I know....

I didn't think it was appropriate to post those pictures -- which as I have now found out are actually in violation of UA's rules.... Let's just say that every five minutes the FA was checking in on his friend... And for the mod's - if this breaks some rule of the community please delete the thread....
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
In defense of the OP, it doesn't seem like he was taking on a position on the LGBQT community. If the OP's comments are indeed true, I think I would have an issue if this was heterosexual couple as well (they should instead take advantage of the privacy of the lavatories since this looks like a widebody aircraft without the space flex lavs ).

My take on this particular situation is if the FA provided good inflight service then I think you should let it go, if not, you should highlight the service deficiencies rather this his interactions with his S/O.

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I don't see a PDA. I see some friends taking a selfie and talking...

What am I missing? Oh, wait....I think I know....

DutchessPDX likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 764toHI
In defense of the OP, it doesn't seem like he was taking on a position on the LGBQT community. If the OP's comments are indeed true, I think I would have an issue if this was heterosexual couple as well (they should instead take advantage of the privacy of the lavatories since this looks like a widebody aircraft without the space flex lavs ).

My take on this particular situation is if the FA provided good inflight service then I think you should let it go, if not, you should highlight the service deficiencies rather this his interactions with his S/O.
LOL Thanks - I honestly hadn't even considered that angle as my industry is incredibly diverse and completely supportive of LGBQT (I work in Fashion and design).... No it was obvious to everyone who the number one passenger was in the J cabin and I didn't say a word - and that's why I didn't mention the flight or day or anything - just wanted to know what people would have done - and if nothing that's fine.... And yes - just to be clear - had this been a man and woman my feelings would be 100% the same...
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Did the FA focus his entire attention on the friend while ignoring other customers, or delivered a different level of service to the friend vs others?
Did the FA work with the GA to upgrade the friend ahead of Elite customers or their companions?
Did the FA and friend start smooching during the flight or practice some other form of real PDA?

If none of the above, then I really don't see anything to post or complain about, but is there something else we're missing?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:29 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
I don't see any PDA here.
tuolumne and goodeats21 like this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Did the FA focus his entire attention on the friend while ignoring other customers, or delivered a different level of service to the friend vs others?
Did the FA work with the GA to upgrade the friend ahead of Elite customers or their companions?
Did the FA and friend start smooching during the flight or practice some other form of real PDA?

If none of the above, then I really don't see anything to post or complain about, but is there something else we're missing?
1. His entire attention - no. More than 50 percent of it - yes
2. Don't know and don't care -- I only mentioned it because we spoke before boarding and he was excited and I that's how I knew the FA was his BF
3. Yes they did - but it didn't bother me when it occurred (not during a meal service or something)) and if it had been a couple next door that were both passengers it wouldn't have either.... Just seemed odd that an employee working and a passenger would engage this way - but maybe I'm just old....
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As reported and photoed, this is not PDA. This is preferential treatment by an FA to a friend.
Like that hasn't happened a gazillion times on airplanes.
And yes it can mean other pax suffer less attentive service as so much attention is bestowed on their acquaintance. Actually, full rev, non-status passengers often notice this disparity in their service compared to "elites." And I might point to the everlasting thread concerning cases of "Shena."
Air travel is perhaps the last bastion of Victorian-style class distinction, with the sneering of the upper class towards those "below" them intact and accepted. Preferential treatment of certain passengers is a part of air travel, and should really only be upsetting if in fact it impacts your actual service.
This thread title is misleading, imo
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rickg523
As reported and photoed, this is not PDA. This is preferential treatment by an FA to a friend.
And yes it can mean other pax suffer less attentive service as so much attention is bestowed on their acquaintance. Actually, full rev, non-status passengers often notice this disparity in their service compared to "elites." And I might point to the everlasting thread concerning cases of "Shena."
Air travel is perhaps the last bastion of Victorian-style class distinction, with the sneering of the upper class towards those "below" them intact and accepted. Preferential treatment of certain passengers is a part of air travel, and should really only be upsetting if in fact it impacts your actual service.
This thread title is misleading, imo
So now I've been accused of being anti-gay and an elitist with disdain towards those "below me" lol. I honestly felt like I got less service because of this and wasn't trying to start anything other than to see what other people would have done - because I did nothing and said nothing to anyone and was careful to hide any real details.... I posted the relatively benign pics to show that it was, in fact, real and I wasn't trying to be inflammatory.... I have no idea what "Shena" is and don't care - considering some of the threads on this board I thought this could be a useful discussion -- perhaps I was wrong....
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Supima
So now I've been accused of being anti-gay and an elitist with disdain towards those "below me" lol. I honestly felt like I got less service because of this and wasn't trying to start anything other than to see what other people would have done - because I did nothing and said nothing to anyone and was careful to hide any real details.... I posted the relatively benign pics to show that it was, in fact, real and I wasn't trying to be inflammatory.... I have no idea what "Shena" is and don't care - considering some of the threads on this board I thought this could be a useful discussion -- perhaps I was wrong....
Whoa - no such accusation meant in my post. The only thing I accuse you of is mistitling your post based on the report and photos you gave.
What I was saying is that the type of favoritism you witnessed is endemic to air travel. This has nothing to do with your attitude towards fellow travelers. I have no idea what those might be and certainly don't presume you're a big fat DYKWIA.
Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Whoa - no such accusation meant in my post. The only thing I advise you of us misstating you're post based on the report and photos you gave.
What I was saying is that the type of favoritism you witnessed is endemic to air travel. This had nothing to do with your attitude towards fellow travelers. I have no idea what those might be and certainly don't presume you're a big fat DYKWIA.
Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.
Then I'm sorry I misunderstood - really. After being labeled as anti-gay in the first post I guess it threw me off.... Yes I have more inflammatory pics -- I really didn't see the need to post it here as I really think I know how that would have been perceived.... I've been travelling for over 30 years and I've seen my share of employee favoritism -- but hadn't experienced anything like this before -- and I guess the way I posed it has turned out to be more important than why....
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If the FA and customer were engaging in actual PDA - meaning, smooching, for lack of a better word, that is really unprofessional and inappropriate behavior and the FA should know better. Gender is not the issue here, but offering special treatment over and above what other customers are receiving, the mere possibility the friend was upgraded in place of someone on the list, and the fact they were engaging in sexualized conduct, is really grounds for a report.

Let's be clear - if two men, two women, or a man and a woman are both passengers and doing any form of PDA that doesn't include joining the mile-high club in their seats, it's really none of our business, but when an on-duty employee has basically appeared to hop into their companion's seating area for some one-on-one personal time, that's really not appropriate by any stretch.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Supima
Then I'm sorry I misunderstood - really. After being labeled as anti-gay in the first post I guess it threw me off.... Yes I have more inflammatory pics -- I really didn't see the need to post it here as I really think I know how that would have been perceived.... I've been travelling for over 30 years and I've seen my share of employee favoritism -- but hadn't experienced anything like this before -- and I guess the way I posed it has turned out to be more important than why....
If there were actual PDAs going on, that's totally inappropriate, whether between FA and passenger, two FAs, or two passengers.
I myself find it annoying and will even sometimes pretend to be recording it on my phone if it's over the top. But I don't let it get to me unless it materially affects my flight.
That's why I mentioned the status/service disparity. Occasionally, I fly J on an airline I have no relationship with and I don't appreciate actually not receiving standard benefits of flying that cabin because status flyers are served to the detriment of those who simply paid full price for the ticket.
Btw, "Shena" is shorthand for the shenanigans that seemingly happen regularly surrounding the awarding of upgrades. I'm talking about the GA busting the published priority list to accommodate a friend or coworker. Now that's annoying.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:19 pm

Preferential treatment of certain passengers is a part of air travel, ....
Agreed. I really don’t see much of anything in this particular situation, but the rest of us weren’t there. Anyone who flies the same route regularly will get to know the flight attendants and probably have a friendly relationship with them. In turn, the FAs will recognize them as regulars and stop by to talk during the flight, maybe comp them a drink , if in economy, etc. I’ve come to know many flight attendants on my regular routes and have had many personal conversations about family, pets, work, shown photos of kids, grandkids, cats, dogs, vacations, etc. and received hugs and kisses. With that said, in my experience, the FAs don’t let it interfere with doing their job properly.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 10, 2018 at 12:55 pm Reason: OT; discuss the issue;not the poster(s)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.