Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United adding new colors to branding palette

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United adding new colors to branding palette

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan
You want United to adjust for gamma and hue differences between your desktop monitor and your cell phone...?

I suppose they could embed a color profile into the image, but they'd still be relying on your hardware being calibrated properly.
No. I want them to check how the colors display on a wide variety of common devices before making the final design choices. We do this routinely every time we role out a new web page to make sure that we've chosen colors that are less prone to device variation. Sometimes is doesn't matter, sometimes two colors that were meant to be very different display almost identically on some monitors.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Pacific Blue sounds like an East Asian low cost carrier.
According to this, Pacific Blue Airlines was a low cost carrier in NZ, which got renamed to Virgin Australia in 2011.

Now, I swear I had an SN route served by a Pacific Blue 767 for a DKR-BRU segment in 2012, but I just can't find a record of it. I remember looking for it at the time and finding it was a German? charter carrier, like Thomas Cook. I must misremember the name.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:26 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by milepig
No. I want them to check how the colors display on a wide variety of common devices before making the final design choices. We do this routinely every time we role out a new web page to make sure that we've chosen colors that are less prone to device variation. Sometimes is doesn't matter, sometimes two colors that were meant to be very different display almost identically on some monitors.
Considering most of the roll out will be on non-web applications (e.g., uniform, signage, linen, aircraft interior, etc.), device calibration is probably not high on their priority. Also, they probably have specific Pantone or or CMYK set for each of the color.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Now I know why my steaks were always that color....they were made to be "Runway Gray"
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by EWR764
I believe we are progressively moving in the direction of a new color scheme on the airplanes. I think the company wants to avoid rolling it out prematurely.. No need to fix now something that’s arguably less broken than other aspects of the company.
Far better to fix the fundamentals first, then upgrade branding / livery as a capper, than to do branding / livery first and stand accused of prioritizing trivialities while ignoring fundamentals.

As for the tulip - they retired it at merger time because pmUA had such negative connotations. Now the meatball stands for worse and it would be smart to defrost the tulip -- but only to cap a comeback, per above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.