Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Do Intra Europe Swiss Air Flights count Towards PQD?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do Intra Europe Swiss Air Flights count Towards PQD?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Its not UA insisting on full fare - it’s LX. The fare rules they create don’t allow it to be ticketed on UA stock. So it’s not actuallly UA ‘insisting’ on anything - it’s UA selling the only fare for that route that LX will let them.
LX will only offer the IATA multilateral interlineable fares, and they will be discontinued soon.

LH offers interlineable fares that can be freely used in the LH group (with max permitted mileage restriction), can be ticketed on 016 (PQD-eligible) and are significantly cheaper than the IATA fares, so probably a better option.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mozilla
LX will only offer the IATA multilateral interlineable fares, and they will be discontinued soon.

LH offers interlineable fares that can be freely used in the LH group (with max permitted mileage restriction), can be ticketed on 016 (PQD-eligible) and are significantly cheaper than the IATA fares, so probably a better option.
I assume you mean the Y77 fare? In this particular case, it's not that much cheaper than the IATA YY fares, but if you're going to buy a Y fare anyway, I suppose that's the one to buy.

I'm having trouble understanding the flight application, though. For this specific example, AMS-ZRH, I find that I cannot use LH Y77 on the nonstop LX flight, but rather I'm required to travel via either FRA or MUC (more expensive due to MPM). I do seem to be able to route on LX metal from FRA/MUC to ZRH and vice versa, though. These results are consistent between United.com and the ITA Matrix -- one-stop itineraries but not non-stop.

Still, since these tickets are a good 8x-10x more expensive than discount fares, I imagine most people would rather just buy them directly from Swiss and forfeit the PQD. (Or: use 8K miles each way for an award ticket).
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by jsloan

Still, since these tickets are a good 8x-10x more expensive than discount fares, I imagine most people would rather just buy them directly from Swiss and forfeit the PQD. (Or: use 8K miles each way for an award ticket).
That is exactly what I am doing. Buying directly from LX for Intra-EU P fare. It is impossible to get them on 016 stock based on my experience. Others may have successful but not me.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
I'm having trouble understanding the flight application, though. For this specific example, AMS-ZRH, I find that I cannot use LH Y77 on the nonstop LX flight, but rather I'm required to travel via either FRA or MUC (more expensive due to MPM). I do seem to be able to route on LX metal from FRA/MUC to ZRH and vice versa, though. These results are consistent between United.com and the ITA Matrix -- one-stop itineraries but not non-stop.
While I'm not sure what is causing this, it does seem to require at least one LH flight number on the ticket, be it an LH metal or codeshare number. After that, only the MPM requirement remains, making about every IATA-carrier flight in the EU, be it *A or not, available for 016 ticketing (with exceptions here and there I guess).

You can ticket a nonstop itinerary on LH.Y77 if there is a nonstop LH codeshare operating the segment, e.g. nonstop BRU-HAM flown on SN metal using the LH codeshares. Unfortunately, there is no LH codeshare for the nonstop LX flights AMS-ZRH, hence the requirement for a connection to add a LH flight number on the ticket.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Wow. Thanks for all the great answers and information. Very interesting.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Ironically, I just had an 016-plated LX intra-Europe segment post as "ineligible" for PQD, so this thread seemed topical

At the end of the day I still got even more PQD from other segments on the ticket than I deserved in total, plus distance-based RDMs for the LX segment, so I won't be calling to fix anything, but still strange.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
Ironically, I just had an 016-plated LX intra-Europe segment post as "ineligible" for PQD, so this thread seemed topical
Was it Helvetic operated?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
Was it Helvetic operated?
Nope, Swiss mainline on a 320. My receipt notes it as operated by "SWISS INTERNATIONAL AIR LINES LTD dba SWISS" -- I can't keep track of Swiss's corporate structure but I assume that's mainline. What's stranger is I could have sworn it posted with PQD and then was retroactively changed to "Ineligible" once a later LH segment posted that had several hundred more PQD than it should. This was all on the same force-reissued ticket that got a UA domestic segment to credit as "ZP class" so I just chalk it up to gremlins in the system. Since I came out ahead on all categories, I'm letting sleeping dogs lie.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Nope, Swiss mainline on a 320. My receipt notes it as operated by "SWISS INTERNATIONAL AIR LINES LTD dba SWISS" -- I can't keep track of Swiss's corporate structure but I assume that's mainline. What's stranger is I could have sworn it posted with PQD and then was retroactively changed to "Ineligible" once a later LH segment posted that had several hundred more PQD than it should. This was all on the same force-reissued ticket that got a UA domestic segment to credit as "ZP class" so I just chalk it up to gremlins in the system. Since I came out ahead on all categories, I'm letting sleeping dogs lie.
That's just weird. There were some issues a while back with "Swiss Global" flights (that's the sub that holds the 77Ws) but Swiss International should be fine.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only other oddity is that I was op-upped on that flight, but as far as I know an op-up is just a change of seat assignment and doesn't actually touch the coupon.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
The only other oddity is that I was op-upped on that flight, but as far as I know an op-up is just a change of seat assignment and doesn't actually touch the coupon.
no, that's it. It messes up things. Ask for credit and you will get it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.