Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Opt out of emails for entertainment options on your upcoming flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC

I have my Mileage Plus account set to not send me emails for anything except upgrade notifications. I get tons of these "entertainment options on your upcoming flight" emails, and each email says "Your privacy and communication preferences are very important to us. If you previously opted not to receive promotional emails, we will continue to respect that request. However, you will continue to receive non-promotional, service-related emails. If you would like to opt out of receiving promotional emails from United and MileagePlus in the future, you can update your email subscription preferences."

So, presumably they are calling these "service emails" when, in fact, they are nothing but ads for in-flight entertainment. Is there any resolution other than to report via CAN-SPAM and expect the usual nothing to happen?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
You could also setup an inbox rule to automatically delete any incoming e-mails that contain "Entertainment Options on your Upcoming Flight" in the subject line.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
You could also setup an inbox rule to automatically delete any incoming e-mails that contain "Entertainment Options on your Upcoming Flight" in the subject line.
It already gets put in Clutter, but I prefer to nip these things at the source. Then I can spot the things that mistakenly end up in Clutter more easily.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I think these are useful to remind me to charge my tablet if no DirecTV or not a wide-body.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA: Plat, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
I used to receive these types of emails. I called up the Platinum line (as I was Plat at the time) and told them in no uncertain terms that I never wanted to see another of those emails again. They tried their hardest to get me to remain in the group that still receives them, but I held firm. They did remove me from whatever it was. I still get emails reminding me to check in for my flights (which I need to go do right now), and of gate changes/delays...But no more emails about entertainment options on upcoming flights.

-mvitale
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
You are lucky if you get so few other irrelevant unwanted emails that these ones incrementally bother you!
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mvitale
I used to receive these types of emails. I called up the Platinum line (as I was Plat at the time) and told them in no uncertain terms that I never wanted to see another of those emails again. They tried their hardest to get me to remain in the group that still receives them, but I held firm. They did remove me from whatever it was. I still get emails reminding me to check in for my flights (which I need to go do right now), and of gate changes/delays...But no more emails about entertainment options on upcoming flights.

-mvitale
Lucky you - it sounds like you have hit the jackpot. I hate UAs incessant advertising of stuff that is totally irrelevant to me.
mvitale likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:24 pm

Citibank does the same thing to me. Every month, I get what is essentially an advertisement for their products. For some unknown reason, they classify the email as "service". Didn't matter who I spoke with (or whether they agreed with my position). It was essentially impossible to stop them from sending these emails because of their internal classification.

Is it wrong that companies can do this to skirt existing regulations? Yes. Is it worth spending time trying to convince the company or a governmental organization to do something about it? That's up to you.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Besides, the email subject ought to read: "Entertainment options on your upcoming flight (should it happen to actually work, and likely after several reboots)...
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by narvik
Besides, the email subject ought to read: "Entertainment options on your upcoming flight (should it happen to actually work, and likely after several reboots)...
No, the word "entertainment" shouldn't even be in the subject.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.