Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA MP Award Itinerary - baggage rules with mixed metal segments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL Med, Marriott Plat

I have a UA MP award itin using mixed metal. None of the flights are codeshares. I have zero status with MP, and don't currently have the Explorer card.
  1. LAX-CDG UA metal
  2. BRU-CPH SN metal (Brussels Airlines) Fare: Flex & Fast (Y)
  3. CPH-LHR SK metal (Scandinavian SAS)
  4. LHR-LAX UA metal
I have a multiday layover in BRU.

I'm most concerned with Brussels Airlines. They have no free baggage, all involve fees. According to a UA rep, normally the UA policies would govern. But in my case, as I have a layover and am checking into Brussels Air on segment 2, then Brussels Air baggage policy will govern. The rep was unsure and not confident, so I'm now left with more doubt than before.

Has someone flown something like this? Do I have UA baggage allowances on Segment 2?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by former1k
Has someone flown something like this? Do I have UA baggage allowances on Segment 2?
You'll get the baggage allowance printed on your receipt, which should be the same for all segments -- specifically, UA's. On a reservation that touches the US, DOT requires that the baggage allowance be at least as great as what would be offered by the marketing carrier of the first segment on the itinerary. That's UA.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
On a reservation that touches the US, DOT requires that the baggage allowance be at least as great as what would be offered by the marketing carrier of the first segment on the itinerary. That's UA.
Thanks for that tip- I just looked at my receipt. Confusion there too, unfortunately. No wonder the rep was unsure. The receipt language says the opposite. Instead of being required to have a consistent baggage policy, UA is deferring to Brussels Air. But the chart shows that I do in fact get 1st bag free. It's hard to read the chart, but it pasted correctly in the reply but gets munged later by the board software.

More conflicting info from UA. lol.

Baggage allowance and charges for this itinerary. Baggage fees are per traveler

In compliance with U.S. Department of Transportation regulations, checked baggage policies for your current itinerary have been deferred by the marketing carrier, (United Airlines), to the operating carrier. As a result, your baggage policies will be determined by Brussels Airlines. Visit united.com/baggage for more information.

Origin and destination for checked baggage 1st bag2nd bagMaximum weight and dimensions per piece of baggage
Max wt / dim per pieceLos Angeles, CA (LAX) to Paris, France (CDG)0.00 USD100.00 USD50.0lbs (23.0kg) - 62.0in (157.0cm)Brussels, Belgium (BRU) to Copenhagen, Denmark (CPH)0.00 USD200.00 USD50.0lbs (23.0kg) - 62.0in (157.0cm)Copenhagen, Denmark (CPH) to Los Angeles, CA (LAX)0.00 USD100.00 USD50.0lbs (23.0kg) - 62.0in (157.0cm)
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by former1k
Instead of being required to have a consistent baggage policy, UA is deferring to Brussels Air.
That text makes no sense. UA is the operating carrier. I don't know why they'd claim that they're deferring to Brussels; they don't have that option.

Anyway, I'd print the receipt and bring it to check-in. One free bag should show up in the Brussels computers, but if not, show them the receipt. If they insist upon charging you, pay the fee and then follow up afterwards. They're not allowed to collect a baggage fee for the first bag on that itinerary.

BTW, "Fast&Flex" would give you a free bag anyway, although I'm not 100% certain that's meaningful, as I don't think awards are included in any of the branded fare categories.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:11 am

Assuming everything is on one ticket, first segment's policy will apply to whole itinerary per 14 CFR 399.87.

Originally Posted by jsloan
BTW, "Fast&Flex" would give you a free bag anyway, although I'm not 100% certain that's meaningful, as I don't think awards are included in any of the branded fare categories.
I agree, it's probably moot per the DOT provision above, but I'm not sure where OP gets the "Flex&Fast" from, nor the "(Y)". Is this something UA/SN gave or was this added by OP? Does (Y) refer to Economy in general - including award classes - or to booking class Y which is always a Flex&Fast booking class on intra-European SN?
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mozilla
I'm not sure where OP gets the "Flex&Fast" from, nor the "(Y)". Is this something UA/SN gave or was this added by OP? Does (Y) refer to Economy in general - including award classes - or to booking class Y which is always a Flex&Fast booking class on intra-European SN?
I got it from logging directly into the partner's website and looking at my res on their system.

Anyway, back here to report my results. I just got back from the trip. I used the self checkin kiosks for SN and SK. I checked in bags on both flights, but was not charged anything. Thanks to everyone for the advice.
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by former1k; Jun 24, 2019 at 8:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.