Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Slow Demise of Global Services (Yes? No?) ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slow Demise of Global Services (Yes? No?) ....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I got to ride on a colleague's GS coattails today and have to say I'm impressed. We were both on the same late departure and arrived at DEN Gate 80 with very tight connections. GS agent was waiting for him and as he and Iwere chatting while waiting for our gate-checked carry-ons (CRJ200), she offered to take me to Gate 24 with him if my bag came up with his. It did so we scrambled to the Benz, drove across the airport and scrambled up the stairs to Gate 24 where he boarded his aircraft and I made my way to Gate 20 where I got to my aircraft just before they closed the door. They must have held the aircraft because I actually got to the gate about 2 mins past when boarding was supposed to end.
I realize some of the old-timers feel like services have gone downhill and they probably have compared to several years ago but I must say that it's still a helluva lot better than being just a Gold (much less the Silvers or no-status).
dshafiee likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by 5khours
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I never show up at the airport more than an hour before an international flight. I usually try to get there 45 minutes before my flight but sometimes give it more for traffic (e.g. Brooklyn to EWR) or some airports like HKG. Frankly, EWR is not that bad. Recently I've never waited more than 5 minutes for pre-check. Also, if you're flying international F, most airlines treat you better than UA treats GS and will wait if your running late.

I get that GS works for some people, but objectively if you're flying a lot and booking in the front to start with, there really is almost no value in GS.
You make a lot of good points.

Yeah UA is a subjective choice. As Newark is my 'home' airport (LGA is not good as I travel mainly int'l and JFK is a lot further), United works for me. I realize I hold top status (and I'm a pretty relaxed fella) so I feel my United experiences are different than others. But my 3 main destinations are all served nonstop by UA, and no one else so that is hard to beat. United is getting better finally, after 20 years of decline.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Some good points all around here, for sure.

For the most part, GS still works well for me, almost exclusively because I take pretty frequent advantage of the opening up of Saver Space / clearance of a GPU when I am in paid J ... it’s great to take my family along on various trips with me. With my MM status as well, my better half takes advantage of the same benefits and extends them to family.

I still get great service out of SFO, LAX, LHR, BOS. IAH is consistently the worst hub for GS service, at least for me - never met, can never find anyone.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by bldr1k
Three years ago my upgrade percentage as GS was 90%. This year it is less than 20%. I rarely get upgraded as GS domestically. The rest of the benefits are similar.
Ditto. I'm seriously shocked this isn't being mentioned more in this thread. Are all you GS not noticing this? The advance upgrades are vastly diminished. Even with RPU/GPU. I've sat in coach so much more in the last 1-2 years than I have in the last 10 years.

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
I would venture a guess that is a result of other people buying into the seats while the economy continues to boom and not a change on UA's part of how they allocate upgrades.
It may have a bit to do with the overall economy, but way more to do with the stingy upgrades, cheap buy-ups and lower priced F product. They're selling off the GS perks and hoping we shut our mouths with a free snackbox and beverage.

Originally Posted by globetraveler
- No lounge access for GS? You have a customer spending $100k/yr yet you don’t offer comp United Club access? This is an embarrassment and a great example that UA just doesn’t get it. Who is making this decision?

Wholeheartedly agree. It's one of the things that baffles most people when I explain the perks (or lack thereof). I'd venture to guess most GS are flying international mostly anyhow (with lounge access provided)....how much more would it cost to provide comfort to the "highest valued" customers for the times they're flying domestically (especially with irrops due to united operations...that one has pissed me off multiple times).

I also second the comments about loss of GFL exclusivity. Now us GS are mixed in with all of Polaris class.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:16 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1015-1k
Ditto. I'm seriously shocked this isn't being mentioned more in this thread. Are all you GS not noticing this? The advance upgrades are vastly diminished. Even with RPU/GPU. I've sat in coach so much more in the last 1-2 years than I have in the last 10 years.

It may have a bit to do with the overall economy, but way more to do with the stingy upgrades, cheap buy-ups and lower priced F product. They're selling off the GS perks and hoping we shut our mouths with a free snackbox and beverage.

Wholeheartedly agree. It's one of the things that baffles most people when I explain the perks (or lack thereof). I'd venture to guess most GS are flying international mostly anyhow (with lounge access provided)....how much more would it cost to provide comfort to the "highest valued" customers for the times they're flying domestically (especially with irrops due to united operations...that one has pissed me off multiple times).

I also second the comments about loss of GFL exclusivity. Now us GS are mixed in with all of Polaris class.
I hate to say it, but the complaints in your post boil down to wanting something for nothing.
  • Upgrades are supposed to be for the extra premium inventory that would otherwise go un-monetized; they are not some sort of elite or GS entitlement (do I sound like someone familiar?) If you are not clearing upgrades on hard routes, that means that those seats are going to passengers who are forking over $$ in one form or another to UA for those seats. Obviously, if you paid for a premium seat, you would be sitting in a premium seat. A coach ticket buys a coach seat. A 90% upgrade chance was never a GS benefit, it was an unsustainable bounty that UA gave to its travelers who are most able and willing to pay that extra little bit for more comfort. Why should they give it away for free? Those on corporate coach travel policies don't necessarily always have their choice of carrier anyway.
  • Same goes for United Club access. The clubs are overcrowded. There are likely over 10,000 GS members. How many do you think already pay for it? Club memberships are $500 per. Are you really making a $5 million decision for UA for the purpose of a little goodwill in a thunderstorm? GS already has staff and offices in the hubs for irregular operations; you want a premium place to sit and get food and drink? Again, pay for it. That is the US club model. HON circle is a different model.
  • The demise of the Global First Lounge. Yes, you are lumped in with the "Polaris crowd". How terrible; you have an improved lounge product that is less personal but is miles above what the GFL used to offer in terms of quality. Even the bathrooms are better. I have more sympathy for those who complain about the cabin going away (and regularly paid for those F/A tickets-- good for you if you did) than for those who complain that they don't get free access to a lounge for a cabin that had to be eliminated because apparently no one paid to travel in it.
Global Services is about service. If their service levels are declining, that is a serious problem. They should offer service above and beyond, especially when things go wrong. But if they aren't giving away the house for free, that's called staying in business.
wxguy and FlyHighInTheSky like this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: United 1K
The perks of GS are irreplaceable, IMO and a huge reason I stay with United despite their weak business class product. I've called the GS line and had them change my flights, bend over backwards to accommodate me, book companion travel for my wife, it's really super important to the benefits of GS. I also find that they usually greet me by name on planes and FAs usually go out of their way to thank me for being a GS.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
Originally Posted by Ari
I hate to say it, but the complaints in your post boil down to wanting something for nothing.
  • Upgrades are supposed to be for the extra premium inventory that would otherwise go un-monetized; they are not some sort of elite or GS entitlement (do I sound like someone familiar?) If you are not clearing upgrades on hard routes, that means that those seats are going to passengers who are forking over $$ in one form or another to UA for those seats. Obviously, if you paid for a premium seat, you would be sitting in a premium seat. A coach ticket buys a coach seat. A 90% upgrade chance was never a GS benefit, it was an unsustainable bounty that UA gave to its travelers who are most able and willing to pay that extra little bit for more comfort. Why should they give it away for free? Those on corporate coach travel policies don't necessarily always have their choice of carrier anyway.
  • Same goes for United Club access. The clubs are overcrowded. There are likely over 10,000 GS members. How many do you think already pay for it? Club memberships are $500 per. Are you really making a $5 million decision for UA for the purpose of a little goodwill in a thunderstorm? GS already has staff and offices in the hubs for irregular operations; you want a premium place to sit and get food and drink? Again, pay for it. That is the US club model. HON circle is a different model.
  • The demise of the Global First Lounge. Yes, you are lumped in with the "Polaris crowd". How terrible; you have an improved lounge product that is less personal but is miles above what the GFL used to offer in terms of quality. Even the bathrooms are better. I have more sympathy for those who complain about the cabin going away (and regularly paid for those F/A tickets-- good for you if you did) than for those who complain that they don't get free access to a lounge for a cabin that had to be eliminated because apparently no one paid to travel in it.
Global Services is about service. If their service levels are declining, that is a serious problem. They should offer service above and beyond, especially when things go wrong. But if they aren't giving away the house for free, that's called staying in business.
I think to a degree some issues are being conflagrated or whatever the fancy word is.

Maybe in one sense, the GS crowd believe that they aren't getting something for nothing, but they have already paid in advance for it: spend $x on tickets where UA makes lots of cents per mile traveled, then maybe that is like a downpayment on some benefits in the future, like the upgrades.. if you look at the profitability of a customer, which is what I thought GS did, rather than just miles flown, or even spend, then in some senses, UA should have scope to bump these profitable folks into domestic F, or throw lounge access, which is basically a free deal for UA, at them.

I would speculate that most GS flyer wouldn't even show up at lounges on many domestic flights, being the people who would more likely show up at the last possible moment, and just get on the plane to go where they needed to go.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
I fully understand all your points. All the above (minus the UC) were generally functioning as perks ("something for nothing" if that's what you want to call it) for many years. I'm simply pointing out that they have declined substantially in the last two years. It's to the point where their "120-hour upgrade processing" is mostly a joke. The service, experience and perks are getting much closer to 1K or lower. Isn't that the topic of this thread??
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:10 pm

I fully understand all your points. All the above (minus the UC) were generally functioning as perks ("something for nothing" if that's what you want to call it) for many years. I'm simply pointing out that they have declined substantially in the last two years. It's to the point where their "120-hour upgrade processing" is mostly a joke. The service, experience and perks are getting much closer to 1K or lower. Isn't that the topic of this thread??
I pay for GS but not for the UC's as they suck. I fly internationally mainly so there is no need for UC, and EWR now has a Polaris Lounge. Maybe it is easier for int'l fliers but if I am headed overseas I am not going to risk buying coach and hope to upgrade. I know United dangles GPU's in front of us. But if I want to be in Polaris I purchase it. I don't think I'm the only one.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
Let's keep it all friendly banter eh, since this is a serious first world problem :-)
Mother in Law Limeyflyer had the displeasure of the check in dragons at EWR with myself and Mrs Limeyflyer getting to EXACTLY 50lbs on a third (paid for since MIL Limeflyer has no status) bag. (UA really needs to realize that they need to treat Mrs Limeyflyer and MIL Limeyflyer better than me.. if they are happy, then I am happy even if I get crappy service).
This should not be underestimated and is potentially a very powerful distinction, draw and influencer if UA is able to hone in on making GS experience for spouses and partners special, especially when not traveling with primary GS member. "Happy wife, happy life" (sorry I don't know the corresponding ditty for husband or partner).
laxmillenial likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by adambrau
I pay for GS but not for the UC's as they suck. I fly internationally mainly so there is no need for UC, and EWR now has a Polaris Lounge. Maybe it is easier for int'l fliers but if I am headed overseas I am not going to risk buying coach and hope to upgrade. I know United dangles GPU's in front of us. But if I want to be in Polaris I purchase it. I don't think I'm the only one.
I was generally referring to CPUs, hence the 120-hr window comment. I assume most GS are already in paid C/F internationally (well, not F for much longer).

Many, including myself, would argue that those GS flying exclusively paid Polaris are not getting much more in the way of service than a 1k (or even a non-member). There is little difference and those distinctions are further declining.

Last edited by 1015-1k; Jul 17, 2018 at 11:02 pm
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:17 am

I was generally referring to CPUs, hence the 120-hr window comment. I assume most GS are already in paid C/F internationally (well, not F for much longer).

Many, including myself, would argue that those GS flying exclusively paid Polaris are not getting much more in the way of service than a 1k (or even a non-member). There is little difference and those distinctions are further declining.
OK understood. I never have used all my CPU's in a year and several that expire at the end. Wish they had kept that pmUA rule whereby your unused regional upgrades got converted to miles (I think 500) each.

On the benefits of GS, the confirmed upgrade of your travel companion to Business when they fly with you, is a great perk. While Global First is all but gone/going, I find the true Polaris seats better so even though I cannot upgrade from business to first that is more of a conceptual loss with the better seats. GS check in and passage thru security at EWR are another great perk (for me).

Thanks!

Adam
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by Often1
Not sure what OP's beef is.

UA made a mistake, it admitted that it made a mistake. The mistake could have been made for a first-time flyer or someone with a $100K cash spend.

OP has only been GS for 5 years, so he doesn't really know what it was like back before GS was a published status. In those days, a supervisor would have found the empty F seat, written a paper BP, walked the passenger onboard and explained the issue to the FA.
It's these types of attitudes that encourage to ineptitude.
They KNEW of the issue and had a chance to fix it. They chose NOT too.
Shame on UA.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by adambrau
OK understood. I never have used all my CPU's in a year and several that expire at the end. Wish they had kept that pmUA rule whereby your unused regional upgrades got converted to miles (I think 500) each.

On the benefits of GS, the confirmed upgrade of your travel companion to Business when they fly with you, is a great perk. While Global First is all but gone/going, I find the true Polaris seats better so even though I cannot upgrade from business to first that is more of a conceptual loss with the better seats. GS check in and passage thru security at EWR are another great perk (for me).

Thanks!

Adam
I think you're confusing CPUs with RPUs. Complimentary Premier Upgrades are freely distributed when space is available on North American flights. The problem is that the space is less and less available.
Agreed on your other points. There are certainly a few perks that are still exclusive to GS.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:25 am
Original Poster

wow..... 6 pages..... didn't expect that. Skimmed through the comments - too many to quote - but it's interesting the varying service levels (either real or perceived) experienced by others. For those that are experiencing the greatest service ever, I'd like to ride along with you (or vice versa) to see what happens.

Yes, United was very apologetic after the incident and gave a significant discount - but that's beside the point; they had the opportunity to make it right from the beginning and blew it (I was the only GS on the flight). Kind of like punching somebody in the face then saying you didn't mean to do it and expect everything to be cool.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.