Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Slow Demise of Global Services (Yes? No?) ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slow Demise of Global Services (Yes? No?) ....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Ah, a new level of service: #GSBotchy .

David
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

FWIW - I was a GS for a couple of years a decade ago then didn't travel for a few years; the level of service has generally declined in the past year. Before, seems like I would not have had the problem I had earlier this week. As others have noted, the consistency of service has changed.

Due to my travel schedule - I'm flying 3 out of 4 weeks and often a couple of cities, so I probably do see more varied things. Thankfully, I'm not connecting often, so I rarely see that process.

I'm out of DEN, so there's no expedited lane. Yes, in ORD and EWR it is helpful.

For all intents, I'm traveling on my own dime. I've flown with Delta, American (neither of which I have any status) and Lufthansa in the past year and have received equal treatment. Or said another way, I didn't feel I was being treated any worse or better than being a GS (and I don't want to be fawned over).

I've tried using the upgrades which are available to me and they've rarely worked - the exception is month plus out travel - and that's very much the exception for my schedule. My business partner, who is also GS, tried using vouchers for a recent family trip and could not get them to work.

I have other experiences - those were just the bigger ones beyond the normal dealing with travel.

And if I see how the GS service is - I can only imagine what it would be for the 1k's. Maybe there's just more GS', maybe I'm being sensitive, maybe United has changed their approach to GS, maybe everything just seemed better in the past.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fosbibr
I've tried using the upgrades which are available to me and they've rarely worked - the exception is month plus out travel - and that's very much the exception for my schedule. My business partner, who is also GS, tried using vouchers for a recent family trip and could not get them to work.
Hope you decide to hang around here and soak up some of the knowledge. There may be perks and tricks that you're not aware of. This thread is a good start: Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions [2018]

With just a little knowledge and flexibility, you should be able to make good use of those GS GPUs.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
A key difference from the past, including 3-4 years ago, is there is less flexibility in the system. AU and all airlines are doing a better job of using there capacity and with a generally positive economy, there are more and more paid for the front of the plane. The net is if something goes wrong that is less UA can do about even if it tries to pull rank.

Such as in the OPs first case, the cabin was full of GS -- not much room there to respond.

This is particular an issue when UA makes a self-inflicted mistake.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 4 million miler; Hilton goldMarriott platinum elite
I have been GS continuously since the category was created 15 (?) years ago. There has been some deterioration in benefits—for example relatives/friends traveling on award tickets using my miles no longer automatically get seats in economy plus or Mercedes gate to gate transfers. But I don’t see any decline in treatment I receive from UA. If anything treatment has improved.u
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ugs/dca/iad
I have been GS continuously since the category was created 15 (?) years ago. There has been some deterioration in benefits—for example relatives/friends traveling on award tickets using my miles no longer automatically get seats in economy plus or Mercedes gate to gate transfers. But I don’t see any decline in treatment I receive from UA. If anything treatment has improved.u
Three years ago my upgrade percentage as GS was 90%. This year it is less than 20%. I rarely get upgraded as GS domestically. The rest of the benefits are similar.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by bldr1k
Three years ago my upgrade percentage as GS was 90%. This year it is less than 20%. I rarely get upgraded as GS domestically. The rest of the benefits are similar.
I would venture a guess that is a result of other people buying into the seats while the economy continues to boom and not a change on UA's part of how they allocate upgrades.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
I feel for the OP, not because the are GS, but because what happened to them shouldn’t happen to any status flyer. As a 1K I would have been in the face of a lot of people over this. The one thing I expect is to not have my seat or reservation screwed up. If I don’t get an upgrade or PDB, I’ll live.
canadiancow and GDL like this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
I would venture a guess that is a result of other people buying into the seats while the economy continues to boom and not a change on UA's part of how they allocate upgrades.
Yes, a booming economy combined with static or nearly static premium cabin inventory results in more paying pax.
I was just on a flight with a guy who had paid cash for his international Polaris flight who knew nothing about how to use GPUs/RPUs. He was bemused that I had been upgraded to biz using a GPU and asked me how to do it. He told me that he was a 1K, but that he had equal status on 2 other carriers, and that he didn't really pay attention the the FF benefits on any of them.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
I've been GS for 4 years so I can't compare to the golden era.

I have detected a slight decline in telephone agent adeptness.

Only time I felt operational failure and left to my own was on a YVR-SFO-EWR flight in May where I misconnected due to SFO weather inbound delay, wasn't sure but thought someone might come meet me at gate with options (nope), went to connecting gate where I arrived 5 minutes before STD so understand flight closed and I missed it. I didn't reveal my status but gate agents were just having a bad day. So went to United Club and found an Agent who got me on a PS flight in business class 5 hours later. It's the best they could do, but then that flight was delayed 3 hours so my journey Vancouver to NYC ended up being 20 hours. It happens. I suspect there were so many misconnected people that GS couldn't keep up. But it's the only time I needed UA to come up with a miracle and it didn't happen!
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bldr1k
I’ve noticed this too. Upgrades are definitely stingy. My thought is that they’re saving them for TOD upgrades. I usually find myself waiting for upgrade inside the 24 hour mark with over 4 seats available. Sometimes I clear, sometimes I don’t
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I think the issue here is United overall, not necessary a GS thing. Yes, the GS ranks have swelled in recent years, but I think the various issues described in this thread are proof points that UA doesn’t have their act together on the passenger experience as a whole.

United needs to empower their employees to do the right thing, which they claim they have (and I realize the deep challenges here), but this is where many of the problems reside. There’s a pervasive legacy mindset that doesn’t allow UA to get out of their own way.

Some Random Examples:

- No lounge access for GS? You have a customer spending $100k/yr yet you don’t offer comp United Club access? This is an embarrassment and a great example that UA just doesn’t get it. Who is making this decision?

Non GS related:

- UA Y buy on board domestically is terrible. Pizza, burger or sandwich? No thanks. Can’t you offer some salads etc for those who want to eat healthy?

- Streaming entertainment sucks. DL has seat back which I much prefer- so much easier- gives you flexibility.

- UA is still taking delivery of non Polaris seats on Dreamliner's? Again I respect supply chain considerations here but why would you continue to take delivery of an old product that will ultimately stay with you fleet for years??

- Recent meal reduction fiasco in F? They corrected course here but again, who is making these “passenger focused” decisions?

Maybe if an exec who was making all of these decisions went through a real day in the life as a real passengwr and encountered the amount of friction there is in the UA experience they would make some changes.

Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
There have also been some discounts to buy up Business, sold in the kiosk ,and people are buying. Hence less available for complimentary or coupon upgrades.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RUAMKZ
There have also been some discounts to buy up Business, sold in the kiosk ,and people are buying. Hence less available for complimentary or coupon upgrades.
That's just a small part of it.

Dometic F fares have been reduced substantially the past few years, so more people can afford to buy F. The economy is doing well, so more people are inclined to buy F (especially true here in the bay area). The Y cabins are getting ever more miserable (more seats, more passengers, less padding), so there's more incentive to buy out of them.

Net result, upgrades are getting harder and harder, which creates more demand for paid F, because flying economy is miserable and the upgrade's not going to clear, so might as well suck it up and buy F at booking . . . it's kind of a vicious cycle from the passenger's perspective.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Not sure what OP's beef is.

UA made a mistake, it admitted that it made a mistake. The mistake could have been made for a first-time flyer or someone with a $100K cash spend.
Um, so what did they do to fix their mistake? Nothing? How is that acceptable? If you go to a store and they charge you extra, you point it out and the cashier apologizes but does not return your money or change anything, is that a good resolution for you?

It is funny all those who think GS is great are those who are not (well, mostly). Case of the grass being greener on the other side

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.