Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Slow Demise of Global Services (Yes? No?) ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slow Demise of Global Services (Yes? No?) ....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by s0ssos
It is funny all those who think GS is great are those who are not (well, mostly). Case of the grass being greener on the other side
You don't think it's better than 1K? Or that there's a better status level (greener grass) at any other US carrier?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:40 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Um, so what did they do to fix their mistake? Nothing? How is that acceptable? If you go to a store and they charge you extra, you point it out and the cashier apologizes but does not return your money or change anything, is that a good resolution for you?

It is funny all those who think GS is great are those who are not (well, mostly). Case of the grass being greener on the other side
Not true, I think GS is great. My domestic upgrade percentage out of SFO is still greater than 95%. I’ve gotten the Mercedes gate transfer 3 times this year already. Only mishap I’ve had is once where the gate agent called for GS preboarding with group 1. I wasn’t GS during the golden age either but compared to 1K benefits, there is absolutely nothing to complain about.

For those GS that CONSTANTLY complain about UA, I don’t understand why they don’t just take their business elsewhere? Maybe CK or 360 would fit their needs better and make them less unhappy?
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:18 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Yes, a booming economy combined with static or nearly static premium cabin inventory results in more paying pax.
I was just on a flight with a guy who had paid cash for his international Polaris flight who knew nothing about how to use GPUs/RPUs. He was bemused that I had been upgraded to biz using a GPU and asked me how to do it. He told me that he was a 1K, but that he had equal status on 2 other carriers, and that he didn't really pay attention the the FF benefits on any of them.
Thank goodness for the rest of us!

​​​

Originally Posted by Collierkr
I feel for the OP, not because the are GS, but because what happened to them shouldn’t happen to any status flyer. As a 1K I would have been in the face of a lot of people over this. The one thing I expect is to not have my seat or reservation screwed up. If I don’t get an upgrade or PDB, I’ll live.
On my SFO-HKG flight yesterday , I had wandered down the back and was talking with the FAs when a gentleman came in and asked if they had anything to eat. They were about to serve the midflight snack to Y but it was meat.

The passanger was a 1K (in Y) and he orders Indian vegetarian (or something like that), it is in his profile for special meals but catering had not bordered his meals for the flight. 13 hours is a long time without a meal when there are two + snack in Y.

I was very impressed by the proactive FA who asked for his reservation to ensure the meal was noted (something about a code) and then he was going to file a report. He also put some "goodies" together for the passenger.

So exemplary service by the FA, with limited resources in the air, but how does United screw that up for a 1K?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 13, 2018 at 11:26 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:11 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Not to take this to far off topic, but given....
  • No more GF
  • No more GFL
  • Relatively inexpensive domestic F fares
  • Never book paid or award economy tickets anymore
  • Rarely need to speak to any kind of agent
  • Access to United Clubs with Chase card
  • Totally noncompetitive international premium product (last two trips were CX and JL F)
  • Massive devaluation of mileage redemption for premium partner awards
  • Have Pre-Check, GE and ABTC
  • Used to be GS, now Platinum.....
I have to say that other than getting to board 15 seconds ahead of other F pax, I see zero difference in treatment or benefit in being GS even compared to Platinum.
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:38 am

Global services to me are angels watching over us! Global services is second to none! I am a high segment flyer and they literally take care me every single week! No one negative thing to say about the people that always go above and beyond to take care me, I know one thing for sure if wasn’t for Global services I could not do what I do!!
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by tryathlete
I wonder how many GS there are now versus 5 years ago.
Originally Posted by TexasAggie02
This is my first year as GS and as with everything I get spotty recognition and treatment.
For the life of me, I don't understand why people flip, flop, and fly so hard to achieve a label that gets them so little, so often from an airline that cannot execute consistently for anyone -- not even its allegedly most valuable customers.

Originally Posted by Collierkr
I feel for the OP, not because the are GS, but because what happened to them shouldn’t happen to any status flyer.
Correction: any customer. Nobody should be vulnerable to ruined reservations, invol downgrades, and the high hand from CS. The idea that these are somehow OK tricks to pull on GMs or regular bog-standard people, or that they are rightfully vulnerable to UA screwups because they don't fly / spend enough, is pernicious. (The sentiment above from GSunitedloyal -- "If it wasn't for Global Services I do not know what I would do!" -- speaks to this directly. Isn't that another way of saying that United is intolerable unless you have GS as a kind of prophylactic shield against its everyday awfulness? What kind of business model is that?)

Originally Posted by globetraveler
I think the issue here is United overall, not necessary a GS thing.
This. I have concluded nobody can fix United.
MrAndy1369 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by 5khours
Not to take this to far off topic, but given....
  • No more GF
  • No more GFL
  • Relatively inexpensive domestic F fares
  • Never book paid or award economy tickets anymore
  • Rarely need to speak to any kind of agent
  • Access to United Clubs with Chase card
  • Totally noncompetitive international premium product (last two trips were CX and JL F)
  • Massive devaluation of mileage redemption for premium partner awards
  • Have Pre-Check, GE and ABTC
  • Used to be GS, now Platinum.....
I have to say that other than getting to board 15 seconds ahead of other F pax, I see zero difference in treatment or benefit in being GS even compared to Platinum.
ok I vote for this instead of the “horrific CS experience thread” as the most hyperbolic post in recent memory. Five letters for you:

PN vs R

UK Stages, nnn, demkr and 4 others like this.

Last edited by SFOdelayed; Jul 13, 2018 at 7:06 am
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bldr1k
Three years ago my upgrade percentage as GS was 90%. This year it is less than 20%. I rarely get upgraded as GS domestically. The rest of the benefits are similar.
As a UA Gold who is not hub captured (any more). I would attest to the TOD and low F fares as being a large part of this. I often buy-up a few weeks or days ahead of a flight for both myself and MrsAce. I have to assume that there are many others doing the exact same. UA is doing it's best to monetize those seats and I'm one of the people that the tactics are working on.

Originally Posted by fosbibr

Flying to ATL from DEN earlier this week and the gate agent calls my name prior to the commencement of boarding. Goto the counter and she asks me if I'm going to check in. With a confused look, I tell her I'm already checked in and show my boarding pass. She then hands me a paper boarding pass showing an economy seat - despite my 1st class purchase and checked in reservation. At nearly the same time, my phone refreshes and the seat assignment changes. Although I requested a GS agent to come to the gate to understand why I'm being bumped out of of my reserved seat, she places a call. The agent on the phone indicates that due to my change in my reservation earlier that day (for the return only) the whole reservation has been changed. Further, the change in the return, which was also a 1st class purchase, more than doubled the overall fare. Despite asking various questions - can we just change back to the original reservation, is another GS taking my seat, are there other GS' in the 1st class cabin, etc.; they would not honor my reservation and place me in coach.

Maybe my expectations are out of line, but the overall feel of GS has changed. Other than getting to board 1st and the special phone line (I get the same service from our travel agent) - there's nothing premium about the service. The only time I have seen a GS agent was in Philly and I was taken aback - I told her I thought they had stopped the pre-plane greeting a long time ago.
I have not been status on UA for that many years but I would compare my current mid tier with the customer service I used to expect as a non-status pax 10 or 20 years ago. It seems to be the trend. That said I think UA is worse on consistency then DL but better than AA. The feel I generally get is that a minority segment of UA staff hold on to a certain culture of 'I only do my job not someone else's' and they continue to define their role more narrowly every year. There are IME a majority of UA staff who will go far out of their way to help a situation/customer. It is an enormous organization so there will always be some recalcitrant elements but DL seems to be on the ball with the way staff treat guests across the board, not sure what the fix is but that's my perspective.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
I would venture a guess that is a result of other people buying into the seats while the economy continues to boom and not a change on UA's part of how they allocate upgrades.
It is the result of them selling First at very low prices on many routes as well as TODs on many routes. For example, DEN-SJC on the 31st an M fare is $579 one way. Discounted first is $353. With my last company I would just switch the refundable to FC once I knew the trip was definite. In my new job I can't do this. 3 years ago I would get upgraded 100% of the time in this situation.

The net result of this is that I no longer buy expensive refundable fares and always buy the cheapest advance fare. Excluding international (where I purchase business), my domestic spend on United will be 25-30K less this year than last year.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by SFOdelayed
ok I vote for this instead of the “horrific CS experience thread” as the most hyperbolic post in recent memory. Five letters for you:

PN vs R
Sorry I must have missed something. Could you explain how this is a benefit to someone who never books paid or award economy tickets?
kilo likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by 5khours
Sorry I must have missed something. Could you explain how this is a benefit to someone who never books paid or award economy tickets?
For family members booked in economy and upgraded with GPUs, or for a companion traveling in Polaris (convert T to XN and then applying GPU to award ticket; or something like that).
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
You don't think it's better than 1K? Or that there's a better status level (greener grass) at any other US carrier?
As others noted, it becomes where you are chasing status for status sake. Sure, there are some benefits. But like levels in games, the most desirable benefit is bring able to say you are at the next level.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu
For family members booked in economy and upgraded with GPUs, or for a companion traveling in Polaris (convert T to XN and then applying GPU to award ticket; or something like that).
Was there something ambiguous about "never books paid or award economy tickets?"
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
As others noted, it becomes where you are chasing status for status sake. Sure, there are some benefits. But like levels in games, the most desirable benefit is bring able to say you are at the next level.
As someone who "chased" GS and made a point to take certain trips on pmUA so as to keep GS, the benefits were worth it. Flying 200+K miles, mostly domestically, GS (a) addressing IRROPS proactively, inducing finding me a J/F seat where the issue was UA's (b) upgrading me (at the time I often traveled on last minute Y tickets, high c/mi, but in Y per company policy); and (c) gave me very usable miles, that allowed me to take a family trip (or two) overseas in J each year. Putting up with the particular issues UA presented was worth it, because the benefits made it worthwhile to concentrate my travel on UA.

For me the option was not did I stay GS on UA vs CK/360, the question was whether I flew UA or simply flew whomever offered the best deal/schedule/product at any time.

UA IMHE gutted the benefits of GS in 2012, IRROPS got far worse and the handling far worse too, UA stated to sell upgrades and I found myself in the back on some high fares where TODs took those seats, and UA cut award availability and also dramatically increased the miles required for an award. This combined with gutting the product quality make flying UA not such a good deal. I started flying DL and VX and just paying for F on longer flights. I actually found that I was getting a better experience as a Gold, then PLT on DL than I was as a GS on UA.

There are a certain limited number of customers who not only fly on high fares, but fly on a LOT of them (high spend + high c/mi) AND are potentially "reachable" by UA. Nearly all of these folks are not "chasing status" they are looking for an airline that fits their needs and makes them feel like their business is appreciate. These customers (and the 1Ks flying on higher fares) are not fungible, and United does itself no good when they end up flying DL or better foreign carriers over United.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by spin88

UA IMHE gutted the benefits of GS in 2012, IRROPS got far worse and the handling far worse too, UA stated to sell upgrades and I found myself in the back on some high fares where TODs took those seats, and UA cut award availability and also dramatically increased the miles required for an award. This combined with gutting the product quality make flying UA not such a good deal. I started flying DL and VX and just paying for F on longer flights. I actually found that I was getting a better experience as a Gold, then PLT on DL than I was as a GS on UA.

There are a certain limited number of customers who not only fly on high fares, but fly on a LOT of them (high spend + high c/mi) AND are potentially "reachable" by UA. Nearly all of these folks are not "chasing status" they are looking for an airline that fits their needs and makes them feel like their business is appreciate. These customers (and the 1Ks flying on higher fares) are not fungible, and United does itself no good when they end up flying DL or better foreign carriers over United.
+1. I spend a $100k a year on air tickets. UA used to get nearly all of it. Now they get less than 10%. I used to love UA. They had a great hard and soft product and a great FF program. But spin88 hits the nail exactly on the head.....they simply are no longer a good choice for high spend customers who fly a lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.