Search

Miles+CoPay or wait for TOD Buy UP

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Miles+CoPay or wait for TOD Buy UP

Hi FT,

Sorry mods (I couldn't find the miles + copay thread)

Taking a flight at end of July from LAX - SFO - HKG - CAN, there's 5 confirmed seats for a 30,000 + 550.00 copay, and the cabin is pretty empty in business. What's the best wisdom say here? Should I wait for a TOD upgrade? or should I just bite the bullet for the confirmed seat now with the miles+copay?

Thanks in advance for the insight!

Last edited by Rumples; Jul 9, 2018 at 5:20 pm Reason: routing was wrong
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
UA doesn't fly LAX-HKG? Do you mean LAX-SFO-HKG-CAN?

Although a TOD could be cheaper than the 30,000 + 550 co-pay, there is no guarantee that it will be. Hopefully others can provide insight as to the prices they see for TOD offers.

What day of the week is your flight? If on a peak day, aka not a Tues/Wedn, I would pull the trigger now. Why put it to chance?

It's really a preference of the amount of risk you're willing to take. For me, a confirmed seat in Business is what I strive for. I try to eliminate the "guessing" games, the dice rolling, the "maybe's" as much as possible. Yes, I probably could have gotten a business seat for cheaper (saving $100-200 or so), but when I travel on long flights, I do not want to sit in economy if I do not have to.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
UA doesn't fly LAX-HKG? Do you mean LAX-SFO-HKG-CAN?

Although a TOD could be cheaper than the 30,000 + 550 co-pay, there is no guarantee that it will be. Hopefully others can provide insight as to the prices they see for TOD offers.

What day of the week is your flight? If on a peak day, aka not a Tues/Wedn, I would pull the trigger now. Why put it to chance?

It's really a preference of the amount of risk you're willing to take. For me, a confirmed seat in Business is what I strive for. I try to eliminate the "guessing" games, the dice rolling, the "maybe's" as much as possible. Yes, I probably could have gotten a business seat for cheaper (saving $100-200 or so), but when I travel on long flights, I do not want to sit in economy if I do not have to.

absolutely right - sorry! I have monday brain from the long weekend

It's a sunday flight, so I should just pull the trigger it sounds like. I have a PEK - SFO - LAX as well about 10 days later that I need to decide as well.

Thanks for the insight i'll probably end up pulling the trigger and not worrying.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
This thread may be helpful to figure out a typical TOD offer. You will probably have to flip through a lot of pages to get the information to make your decision. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...rture-tod.html
When is your travel? There is not a lot of business travelers to China for the first week of October.
Good luck.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
At $800 to $1,200 for the TOD, the mileage upgrade is a slightly losing offer on a cents-per-mile basis, but I think the peace of mind more than makes up for the difference. Plus the upgrade applies to the domestic segment if you use the miles.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by findark
At $800 to $1,200 for the TOD, the mileage upgrade is a slightly losing offer on a cents-per-mile basis, but I think the peace of mind more than makes up for the difference. Plus the upgrade applies to the domestic segment if you use the miles.
If your upgrade doesn't clear keep a lookout for cheap P/Z fares. They let me refund the miles and copays and rebook/upfare an L into P fare without a change fee before. Though I guess YMMV
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Even if a TOD ends up being available, there’s no guarantee that it’s as good of a seat as may be available today (not that seat assignments are guaranteed, but still). And if UA has misforecast the demand, or there happens to be a big GS family trip that day... you’d really hate Y knowing you could have pulled the trigger on J.
findark likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Just to close the loop here on the thread - I did some searching through the TOD google doc - I just put down the 60K and 1,050.00 for round trip. Company paid for the W and V fares, so I figure I have some miles to burn and it's not that much for a peace of mind.

Thanks everyone!
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Even if a TOD ends up being available, there’s no guarantee that it’s as good of a seat as may be available today (not that seat assignments are guaranteed, but still). And if UA has misforecast the demand, or there happens to be a big GS family trip that day... you’d really hate Y knowing you could have pulled the trigger on J.
Probably worth like 5 if you're 1K haha. Maybe close to 2 if you're GS.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

I'd also just like to say and add - you guys are amazing - always appreciate the help and the kind replies every time I post a stupid question here, so please don't think it goes unappreciated!

Hope everyone had a safe 4th and safe flights to everyone traveling!
laxmillenial, Kacee and COSPILOT like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.