Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fasttrack to 4MM and Lifetime Global Services

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fasttrack to 4MM and Lifetime Global Services

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
I think the (unnecessary) damage to your health would be a big enough reason not to do this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Baze
Since when has UA been logical. They will do whatever they want with the program as witnessed in 2012 when they decimated the lifetime program. If they determine giving lifetime GS for 4MM is no longer beneficial to them they will stop.
You're letting your cynicism cloud your judgement. When you achieve LT GS, it's United who wins.

1. It take ~30 years to achieve LT GS -- putting folks close to retirement years.
2. In retirement, you typically fly off-peak -- WIN for United as they fill unattractive inventory
3. In retirement, you'll buy W as you're basically guaranteed an upgrade -- WIN for United as it's tough sell W fares in economy off-peak.
4. In retirement, you'll travel to leisure destinations -- WIN for United as it let's them support year-round flights to places like Tahiti, Hawaii, Cancun, Raycevick, etc.
5. When you have a choice of who to fly, you'll still fly United because you'll want more upgrade certs to fuel #3 -- WIN for united

In summary, United will not devalue this perk as it's really a win for them. I could even see the requirement coming down to 3.5M vs 4M, as 30 years is too long. Should be closer to 25 years.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by fivevsone
Food for thought:
3,650,000 miles at ~500mph = 7,300 hours in air. Which is 304 24h days entirely flying.

This is a super heroic endeavor.

This is why we all secretly (and not so secretly) admire Tom's BIS number. (17M?)
I think he's hitting 20M this year?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Darlox
Put me into the "I just don't get it" crowd. You say that in retirement, you're planning to travel nonstop. One would presume that means you're doing a lot of Int'l travel, and not just bopping back-and-forth from the East Coast to the West Coast. That GS status is really only going to behoove you on economy tickets, domestic. If you're already buying J tix Int'l, there's not a whole lot in terms of experience-enhancing perks that will get you with partners, and of course you get nothing at all with non-partners.

But $400k is a lot of cheddar! Shove that into an account at $50k per year, earning a modest 7%, and you'l have ~$620k at the end of 8 years.

Not including interest you'd earn beyond that point, that means you could buy a ~$5k J ticket 6+ times per year for the next 20 years, and not run out of money that you otherwise would have spent chasing status. (And during that process, you would of course earn ongoing status anyhow -- probably on multiple airlines!!) Plus the freedom to fly on anyone you chose, without having to be loyalty-locked. (EK's J product is still pretty sweet!!)

I mean, I'm hardly one to put anybody down for having crazy hobbies. If this will make you happy, by all means have at it! I just can't see how the economics of this would ever work out in your favor, and that has nothing to do with the value or longevity of GS itself. *shrug*
Totally agree with this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
In summary, United will not devalue this perk as it's really a win for them. I could even see the requirement coming down to 3.5M vs 4M, as 30 years is too long. Should be closer to 25 years.
Good luck with that.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I always find this topic interesting. I crossed 2 million in Feb 2015. At that point I had always been 1K and I do travel for work every week. I made the decision then that I wanted to hit 3 million. I thought that would be a good lifetime status for when I quit traveling for work. Fast forward to today and I am at 2.886 million so I should get the 3 million this year. I have done a few mileage runs to maintain the pace of about 300k BIS each year and I do take some strange routings sometimes for work. I have been GS for the last 3 years which makes things a lot easier, but I do question how valuable that is when you are not traveling every week for work. So as I close in on 3 million, I am undecided about really trying for 4. I may get close naturally with just work and vacation travel, but I am not ready to commit to a bunch of MRs to get there. I think for me, as long as I travel for work it is more important to maintain GS status.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
But for someone based in the United States and flying domestically (and not on BA aircraft); are the benefits close to what GS offers?
lifetime OWE is not the same as lifetime GS. GS seems more like CK on AA.

Last edited by boerne; Jul 5, 2018 at 6:35 pm
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by boerne
lifetime OWE is not the same as lifetime GS. GS is more like CK on AA.
Yeah I understand that GS / CK are program equivalents from a different alliance.

Just didn't get the reason (explained a few posts above) by the poster why the focus on BA and getting BA lifetime Gold. I didn't see why BA lifetime Gold was > or = to trying for GS.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA GS
This won't work. The Fri flight arrives Sun morning. The new fare rules prohibit immediate turnaround. You would have to leave Thursday night...or return Sunday night.
Do you know when the new fare rules are effective? As a test I tried 3 random dates SFO/SIN/SFO, Friday night departure, Sunday morning return, July 20/22, August 24/26, October 5/7. All three dates allowed an itinerary with an immediate turnaround.

You're letting your cynicism cloud your judgement. When you achieve LT GS, it's United who wins.

1. It take ~30 years to achieve LT GS -- putting folks close to retirement years.
2. In retirement, you typically fly off-peak -- WIN for United as they fill unattractive inventory
3. In retirement, you'll buy W as you're basically guaranteed an upgrade -- WIN for United as it's tough sell W fares in economy off-peak.
4. In retirement, you'll travel to leisure destinations -- WIN for United as it let's them support year-round flights to places like Tahiti, Hawaii, Cancun, Raycevick, etc.
5. When you have a choice of who to fly, you'll still fly United because you'll want more upgrade certs to fuel #3 -- WIN for united

I see your logic of expanding the universe of Lifetime (LT) GS members nearing retirement age, However, I believe this would be actually be a Net Loss for United. As you pointed out many LT 4 million mile, GS members are at or nearing retirement age. However, the demographics of LT GS members are skewed to higher skilled/educated, Professional/Executive workers, the type of people where working in their 70's and 80's is not unusual.

If you assume that United will try to keep GS exclusive, with a cap on the number of GS members, will these LT GS will "crowd out" "legitimate" GS candidates? Eventually some high spending/value 1k's will/have become frustrated enough to go to other carriers. If you were United, would you prefer to grant GS status to someone who is purchasing high fares, or GS status to a 4 million mile member who may be buying cheap tickets? And remember, these LT GS members will take up slots for the next 10-20+ years.

What we don't know is how closely the Global Service program adheres to a zero sum game. By its very nature/design, to keep GS exclusive, when you include some people, you are also excluding others. Does a 4 million mile member gets one of these exclusive GS "slot"? Does this mean the $ spend increase (ever so slightly) to the rest of the members in order to be invited?

Originally Posted by IAHMCI
I always find this topic interesting. I crossed 2 million in Feb 2015. At that point I had always been 1K and I do travel for work every week. I made the decision then that I wanted to hit 3 million. I thought that would be a good lifetime status for when I quit traveling for work. Fast forward to today and I am at 2.886 million so I should get the 3 million this year. I have done a few mileage runs to maintain the pace of about 300k BIS each year and I do take some strange routings sometimes for work. I have been GS for the last 3 years which makes things a lot easier, but I do question how valuable that is when you are not traveling every week for work. So as I close in on 3 million, I am undecided about really trying for 4. I may get close naturally with just work and vacation travel, but I am not ready to commit to a bunch of MRs to get there. I think for me, as long as I travel for work it is more important to maintain GS status.
The question you need to ask is how you would feel when you lose your Global Service status? Since you have been a GS member for 3 years, you know and have become accustomed to its perks and benefits. How would you feel when you drowgrade to 1k? It appears you are likely flying on expensive tickets for work, However, when you travel on vacation, you may be more price sensitive and buy inexpensive tickets. As a GS on a cheap ticket, your chances for upgrades are very good. As a 1k, not so much.

Last edited by PBAudit; Jul 5, 2018 at 9:10 pm
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PBAudit
Do you know when the new fare rules are effective? As a test I tried 3 random dates SFO/SIN/SFO, Friday night departure, Sunday morning return, July 20/22, August 24/26, October 5/7. All three dates allowed an itinerary with an immediate turnaround.
They’re allowed, sure; the question is, are they allowed on a discount fare, or does the price go up dramatically? I haven’t looked, but I know UA was writing some 12-hour stay rules into the deep discount fares a while back, both in Y and J.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I'm in the process of trying to exactly what you're proposing (on a way smaller budget) but the difference is that I'm currently at 2.2MM. Hoping to hit 3M in four years and 4M five after that, 200K per year. I do lots of Asia RTs (in coach!) so it seems doable.

I have to agree with everyone else . . . it's just too crazy given how far away you are from the 4MM. I think that your life would be miserable trying to do this. I really don't see how you would do it and retain your health.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:44 am

Let's take a step back here. Why are you aiming to get lifetime status in the first place? Presumably you want all the perks that come with having mid-top tier status like priority everything, lounge access and upgrades without having to fly the crazy number of miles UA requires for us to get that privilege. Depending on the benefits you're looking for (i.e. lounge access or upgrades) it may end up being cheaper and more rewarding to pay out of pocket on an as needed basis. As other UA flyers have noted, there are often ToDs for kettles, especially on long haul routes that are more affordable than the route many elites take to get those "upgrade certificates". In addition airlines have been known to have decent sales in J which allow you to experience J without having to play a lottery with certificates/awards/ToD. Similarly lounge access can be had by holding the right credit card (i.e. AmEx Platinum) which also allows you to visit the lounge regardless of airline or if your'e flying domestic. If you haven't already you may want to look at signing up for government frequent traveller programs like GlobalEntry/Nexus (which gives you PreCheck security and quick immigration), APEC Business Card and other such schemes since those cut across airlines and will always come in handy.

If you still feel that acquiring lifetime status is important, I'd recommend sticking with getting lifetime Gold. Fellow UA enthusiasts can correct me if I'm wrong here but my understanding of the MP program is that once you hit Gold the marginal benefit of achieving further tiers diminishes rapidly (i.e. slightly higher upgrade odds, upgrade certificates here and there, etc.). Most importantly GS won't mean much if you're flying on partners like NH, AC or LH (you'll just be getting the Gold benefits)! Gold gets you 99% of what you're looking for: a decent chance at upgrades, priority everything, lounge access when travelling internationally, Economy+ seating, etc. The best part is that only requires 1,000,000 lifetime miles, a goal which I think can be achieved for a couple thousand outlay every year for the next 8 years (I'm pulling in about 40,000 United BIS with about $1,700 USD spend). In my case I made the calculation that committing to UA and going for lifetime Gold makes sense - I'm 30 years old and can always score cheap UA Y flights that will get me the mileage I need to stay Gold and eventually retain it for life.

Another open question to consider are other airline alliances and whether it makes sense to achieve lifetime status with them. I haven't done any research on Lifetime status with those other programs but there may be sweet spots that make sense for you. For instance, Asiana allows you to get lifetime *A Gold by flying 500,000 miles on any *A partner. Perhaps there are similar crazy lifetime programs with OW and ST partner airlines. One thing to remember there is you'll want to have whatever their mid-tier (or better) status is, since it is that status that really comes in handy with a lot of frequent travelling.

Hope that helps.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jul 6, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by PBAudit

I see your logic of expanding the universe of Lifetime (LT) GS members nearing retirement age, However, I believe this would be actually be a Net Loss for United. As you pointed out many LT 4 million mile, GS members are at or nearing retirement age. However, the demographics of LT GS members are skewed to higher skilled/educated, Professional/Executive workers, the type of people where working in their 70's and 80's is not unusual.

If you assume that United will try to keep GS exclusive, with a cap on the number of GS members, will these LT GS will "crowd out" "legitimate" GS candidates? Eventually some high spending/value 1k's will/have become frustrated enough to go to other carriers. If you were United, would you prefer to grant GS status to someone who is purchasing high fares, or GS status to a 4 million mile member who may be buying cheap tickets? And remember, these LT GS members will take up slots for the next 10-20+ years.

What we don't know is how closely the Global Service program adheres to a zero sum game. By its very nature/design, to keep GS exclusive, when you include some people, you are also excluding others. Does a 4 million mile member gets one of these exclusive GS "slot"? Does this mean the $ spend increase (ever so slightly) to the rest of the members in order to be invited?

The question you need to ask is how you would feel when you lose your Global Service status? Since you have been a GS member for 3 years, you know and have become accustomed to its perks and benefits. How would you feel when you drowgrade to 1k? It appears you are likely flying on expensive tickets for work, However, when you travel on vacation, you may be more price sensitive and buy inexpensive tickets. As a GS on a cheap ticket, your chances for upgrades are very good. As a 1k, not so much.
That is the exact question I ask myself and the answer is different everyday. I know life is better as a GS, but is that as important when you are traveling occasionally for leisure.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Bottom line is that GS in J is practically the same as a non--GS in J. I got zero better treatment from EWR-TLV in J last month than anyone else in J.

UA J is fine on some routes, but pales in comparison to better airlines on many routes.

Use the funds and pay for J travel and some occasional F travel on any airline and enjoy your retirement. I think GS would actually hurt in your case as you would feel locked to UA due to the sunk cost, but the benefits would be few and far between given your ability to redirect those funds for paid J.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1K/3.7MM, Hawn Platinum, Hilton Diamond, PC Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Natl Exe Elite
I will finally hit the 3MM plateau in late August or September. Currently at 2.96 (MM) lifetime miles. Based out of Hilo, HI it’s been difficult to find the kind of mileage runs that folks in the continental U.S. can find. Hilo has only 1 direct flight which operates 5-7 days per week depending on the season. Based on my current business and personal travel schedule, I will probably hit the 4MM level in the next 5-6 years.

Like many of you, I sometimes take the longer route to get to the place I’m going just to accumulate more miles. The mileage credits have been great as I use most of my miles to fly my kids back from the mainland where they are attending college. A few years ago when my oldest son just started college in Oregon, the economy RT ticket to bring him home during Christmas break would have been $1900 due to the time of the year. I was able to use 90,000 miles for an award ticket instead.

My wife is also a 1K member and flies about 130-150K per year. This year I will probably end the year just shy of 300K PQM with around 30K in PQD (I sometimes spring for business or first class fares when they are not too outrageous).

I told my wife several years ago that one of my “personal” goals was to reach the lifetime GS level. She fully supports my quest as she is aware that she too will get my GS status when I finally achieve my goal. I applaud all of you who have achieved that status! As a follow road warrior who has seen his share of missed connections and delays...sometimes I “feel the pain” of being on the road a lot.

i enjoy reading this forum and have gotten many ideas and a great deal of information over the years. Many thanks to all of you who post and safe travels!
jsloan and jhayes_1780 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.