Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fasttrack to 4MM and Lifetime Global Services

Fasttrack to 4MM and Lifetime Global Services

Old Jul 4, 18, 6:32 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: UA 1k, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Platinum, MLIFE Platinum
Posts: 100
Fasttrack to 4MM and Lifetime Global Services

My wife thinks I'm absolutely insane, but I have a goal to reach Lifetime Global Services with 4MM on United before we retire in 8 years. I'm 1k out of SFO, I don't travel much for work maybe 45k miles a year but I have an itch to get this done before retirement when the wife and I will pretty much just travel almost full time.

Current United Lifetime: 349,679 (in the past rarely flew United metal)
Budget: ~$50k/year (contemplating Pass Plus to get Global Services ASAP)

I'm calculating I need to fly 420k/miles a year. In mostly business class, I think I can get that done with $50k a year but would love to get thoughts from the community.

Year 1 Plan
East Coast 10 times - 50k
Europe 10 times - 200k
Asia 3 times - 80k
Sydney x 2 - 64k
Singapore - 30k
Total: 424

Looking at this I am feeling batshit crazy, please tell me there are others out there that think this would be cool..



BTW: please don't flame me about what GS is worth or not, or god forbid how awful United is - I'm thinking of this as a challenge that is worthwhile.
am1108 and canadiancow like this.

Last edited by flyme2theriver; Jul 4, 18 at 6:54 pm
flyme2theriver is offline  
Old Jul 4, 18, 6:37 pm
  #2  
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 5,062
Making Lemonade Out of Lemons (How I made lifetime GS)

David
DELee is offline  
Old Jul 4, 18, 6:41 pm
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 88,855
Originally Posted by flyme2theriver View Post
My wife thinks I'm absolutely insane, but I have a goal to reach Lifetime Global Services with 4MM on United before we retire in 8 years. I'm 1k out of SFO, I don't travel much for work maybe 45k miles a year but I have an itch to get this done before retirement when the wife and I will pretty much just travel almost full time.

Current United Lifetime: 349,679 (in the past rarely flew United metal)
Budget: ~$50k/year (contemplating Pass Plus to get Global Services ASAP)

I'm calculating I need to fly 420k/miles a year. In mostly business class, I think I can get that done with $50k a year but would love to get thoughts from the community.

Year 1 Plan
East Coast 10 times - 30k
Europe 10 times - 200k
Asia 3 times - 80k
Sydney x 2 - 64k
Singapore - 30k

Looking at this I am feeling batshit crazy, please tell me there are others out there that think this would be cool..



BTW: please don't flame me about what GS is worth or not, or god forbid how awful United is - I'm thinking of this as a challenge that is worthwhile.
Where are you getting your lifetime status miles per trip calculations?

Depending somewhat on the route and your location, a RT in coach to Europe at 100% miles earning is unlikely to yield 20,000 status miles per RT. Similarly, Asia from the west coast won't normally be over 25,000 status miles per RT at 100% earning. Purchasing business class or extremely expensive coach fares such as FULL Y will earn more miles, but exceed your budget.

Will the time commitment interfere with your current and presumably full time job?
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jul 4, 18, 6:46 pm
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,198
Originally Posted by flyme2theriver View Post
...would love to get thoughts from the community...

BTW: please don't flame me about what GS is worth or not, or god forbid how awful United is - I'm thinking of this as a challenge that is worthwhile.
Do you want feedback or not??

I don't believe you can hit the numbers on your budget, and the time spent will be significant. You're probably better off just buying tickets smart when you want them going forward.
sbm12 is offline  
Old Jul 4, 18, 6:48 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: CT
Programs: UA1K
Posts: 351
Your "year 1 plan" won't give you 420K BIS miles on UA/UAX metal, assuming base SFO.
ecofreak is offline  
Old Jul 4, 18, 6:49 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: UA 1k, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Platinum, MLIFE Platinum
Posts: 100
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Where are you getting your lifetime status miles per trip calculations?

Depending somewhat on the route and your location, a RT in coach to Europe at 100% miles earning is unlikely to yield 20,000 status miles per RT. Similarly, Asia from the west coast won't normally be over 25,000 status miles per RT at 100% earning. Purchasing business class or extremely expensive coach fares such as FULL Y will earn more miles, but exceed your budget.

Will the time commitment interfere with your current and presumably full time job?
Unfortunately, Lifetime is BIS miles so not affected by class. I pulled the rough calculations by looking at PQMs from previous flights. SFO to BCN as an example is 26k PQM depending on routing. I'm going to have to get really creative on schedules but I have unlimited vacation and the ability to work remotely so think I can cover without sacrificing my job.
flyme2theriver is offline  
Old Jul 4, 18, 6:54 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco/Sydney
Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Posts: 7,118
Originally Posted by flyme2theriver View Post
I pulled the rough calculations by looking at PQMs from previous flights. SFO to BCN as an example is 26k PQM depending on routing.
SFO to BCN may or may not be 26K PQM (depends on class), but it's only ~13K BIS miles, which is what lifetime is based on.

Sydney is 7,417 miles from SFO (a little more if you route via LA). ~15K return. ~30K if you do it twice. Not the 64K you've quoted.

Somewhere your math is way off...
Miggles and boss315 like this.
docbert is offline  
Old Jul 4, 18, 6:54 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ORF, RIC
Programs: UA 1K 2.9 MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
Posts: 3,632
Economy fares to Asia, especially, PVG and PEK, are very cheap from SFO. You can get a 10-yr Chinese visa for $140. You can take PVG trips in low seasons every weekend. You may likely get an E+ bench seat (3 seats in a row). You will need 40 such trips to get 0.5 M BIS miles. Assumed that each trip costs $500, the total will be $20K.
good luck.
Kmxu is online now  
Old Jul 4, 18, 6:55 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NYC (Primarily EWR)
Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Posts: 7,475
My feedback: I agree with your wife.
PsiFighter37 is offline  
Old Jul 4, 18, 6:56 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Posts: 710
To be honest, I think you are crazy.....I retired 3 years ago but we have been fortunate to be able to travel a lot including Asia and Europe trips. So now I am sitting on almost 850,000 life time miles and not even thinking about trying to make a million and life time gold. Forget the cost, it is just not worth my time to spend that much time sitting on airplanes.

You asked for opinions....
oopsz and boss315 like this.
gene2632 is offline  
Old Jul 4, 18, 6:58 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: UA 1k, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Platinum, MLIFE Platinum
Posts: 100
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Do you want feedback or not??

I don't believe you can hit the numbers on your budget, and the time spent will be significant. You're probably better off just buying tickets smart when you want them going forward.
Yes, feedback is appreciated, but I was anticipating a certain crowd that is down on United and/or GS changing the topic to why GS is not worth it. Sorry of that is confusing to you.
flyme2theriver is offline  
Old Jul 4, 18, 7:01 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Posts: 1,692
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Purchasing business class or extremely expensive coach fares such as FULL Y will earn more miles, but exceed your budget.

I thought for lifetime: it's BIS miles; not PQM miles.

Meaning even though the OP will earn 2x for a P or higher fare for PQM yearly calculations; he'll only earn 1x for the BIS aka lifetime miles. Is my understanding correct? So buying business fares won't really help him?
Flying Machine likes this.
laxmillenial is offline  
Old Jul 4, 18, 7:04 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco/Sydney
Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Posts: 7,118
Originally Posted by laxmillenial View Post
So buying business fares won't really help him?
With the amount of travel he'd need to do this, business fares will absolutely help him! But no, not in terms of the number of flights needed to hit 4MM, just in terms of sanity while taking those flights...
Miggles and lincolnjkc like this.
docbert is offline  
Old Jul 4, 18, 7:05 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: UA 1k, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Platinum, MLIFE Platinum
Posts: 100
you're right - thx I was conflating PQM with BIS.
flyme2theriver is offline  
Old Jul 4, 18, 7:06 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: SDF
Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.5 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
Posts: 637
It's BIS miles. You probably should factor in the cost of a divorce if you actually try to pull this off.
greg99, Miggles, cruisr and 10 others like this.
Live4Upgrade is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: