FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Fasttrack to 4MM and Lifetime Global Services (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1918209-fasttrack-4mm-lifetime-global-services.html)

flyme2theriver Jul 4, 2018 6:32 pm

Fasttrack to 4MM and Lifetime Global Services

My wife thinks I'm absolutely insane, but I have a goal to reach Lifetime Global Services with 4MM on United before we retire in 8 years. I'm 1k out of SFO, I don't travel much for work maybe 45k miles a year but I have an itch to get this done before retirement when the wife and I will pretty much just travel almost full time.

Current United Lifetime: 349,679 (in the past rarely flew United metal)
Budget: ~$50k/year (contemplating Pass Plus to get Global Services ASAP)

I'm calculating I need to fly 420k/miles a year. In mostly business class, I think I can get that done with $50k a year but would love to get thoughts from the community.

Year 1 Plan
East Coast 10 times - 50k
Europe 10 times - 200k
Asia 3 times - 80k
Sydney x 2 - 64k
Singapore - 30k
Total: 424

Looking at this I am feeling batshit crazy, please tell me there are others out there that think this would be cool..

BTW: please don't flame me about what GS is worth or not, or god forbid how awful United is - I'm thinking of this as a challenge that is worthwhile.

DELee Jul 4, 2018 6:37 pm

Making Lemonade Out of Lemons (How I made lifetime GS)

David

MSPeconomist Jul 4, 2018 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by flyme2theriver (Post 29938872)
My wife thinks I'm absolutely insane, but I have a goal to reach Lifetime Global Services with 4MM on United before we retire in 8 years. I'm 1k out of SFO, I don't travel much for work maybe 45k miles a year but I have an itch to get this done before retirement when the wife and I will pretty much just travel almost full time.

Current United Lifetime: 349,679 (in the past rarely flew United metal)
Budget: ~$50k/year (contemplating Pass Plus to get Global Services ASAP)

I'm calculating I need to fly 420k/miles a year. In mostly business class, I think I can get that done with $50k a year but would love to get thoughts from the community.

Year 1 Plan
East Coast 10 times - 30k
Europe 10 times - 200k
Asia 3 times - 80k
Sydney x 2 - 64k
Singapore - 30k

Looking at this I am feeling batshit crazy, please tell me there are others out there that think this would be cool..

BTW: please don't flame me about what GS is worth or not, or god forbid how awful United is - I'm thinking of this as a challenge that is worthwhile.

Where are you getting your lifetime status miles per trip calculations?

Depending somewhat on the route and your location, a RT in coach to Europe at 100% miles earning is unlikely to yield 20,000 status miles per RT. Similarly, Asia from the west coast won't normally be over 25,000 status miles per RT at 100% earning. Purchasing business class or extremely expensive coach fares such as FULL Y will earn more miles, but exceed your budget.

Will the time commitment interfere with your current and presumably full time job?

sbm12 Jul 4, 2018 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by flyme2theriver (Post 29938872)
...would love to get thoughts from the community...

Do you want feedback or not?? :confused:

I don't believe you can hit the numbers on your budget, and the time spent will be significant. You're probably better off just buying tickets smart when you want them going forward.

ecofreak Jul 4, 2018 6:48 pm

Your "year 1 plan" won't give you 420K BIS miles on UA/UAX metal, assuming base SFO.

flyme2theriver Jul 4, 2018 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29938894)
Where are you getting your lifetime status miles per trip calculations?

Depending somewhat on the route and your location, a RT in coach to Europe at 100% miles earning is unlikely to yield 20,000 status miles per RT. Similarly, Asia from the west coast won't normally be over 25,000 status miles per RT at 100% earning. Purchasing business class or extremely expensive coach fares such as FULL Y will earn more miles, but exceed your budget.

Will the time commitment interfere with your current and presumably full time job?

Unfortunately, Lifetime is BIS miles so not affected by class. I pulled the rough calculations by looking at PQMs from previous flights. SFO to BCN as an example is 26k PQM depending on routing. I'm going to have to get really creative on schedules but I have unlimited vacation and the ability to work remotely so think I can cover without sacrificing my job.

docbert Jul 4, 2018 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by flyme2theriver (Post 29938911)
I pulled the rough calculations by looking at PQMs from previous flights. SFO to BCN as an example is 26k PQM depending on routing.

SFO to BCN may or may not be 26K PQM (depends on class), but it's only ~13K BIS miles, which is what lifetime is based on.

Sydney is 7,417 miles from SFO (a little more if you route via LA). ~15K return. ~30K if you do it twice. Not the 64K you've quoted.

Somewhere your math is way off...

Kmxu Jul 4, 2018 6:54 pm

Economy fares to Asia, especially, PVG and PEK, are very cheap from SFO. You can get a 10-yr Chinese visa for $140. You can take PVG trips in low seasons every weekend. You may likely get an E+ bench seat (3 seats in a row). You will need 40 such trips to get 0.5 M BIS miles. Assumed that each trip costs $500, the total will be $20K.
good luck.

PsiFighter37 Jul 4, 2018 6:55 pm

My feedback: I agree with your wife.

gene2632 Jul 4, 2018 6:56 pm

To be honest, I think you are crazy.....I retired 3 years ago but we have been fortunate to be able to travel a lot including Asia and Europe trips. So now I am sitting on almost 850,000 life time miles and not even thinking about trying to make a million and life time gold. Forget the cost, it is just not worth my time to spend that much time sitting on airplanes.

You asked for opinions....

flyme2theriver Jul 4, 2018 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 29938902)
Do you want feedback or not?? :confused:

I don't believe you can hit the numbers on your budget, and the time spent will be significant. You're probably better off just buying tickets smart when you want them going forward.

Yes, feedback is appreciated, but I was anticipating a certain crowd that is down on United and/or GS changing the topic to why GS is not worth it. Sorry of that is confusing to you.

laxmillenial Jul 4, 2018 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29938894)
Purchasing business class or extremely expensive coach fares such as FULL Y will earn more miles, but exceed your budget.

I thought for lifetime: it's BIS miles; not PQM miles.

Meaning even though the OP will earn 2x for a P or higher fare for PQM yearly calculations; he'll only earn 1x for the BIS aka lifetime miles. Is my understanding correct? So buying business fares won't really help him?

docbert Jul 4, 2018 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by laxmillenial (Post 29938949)
So buying business fares won't really help him?

With the amount of travel he'd need to do this, business fares will absolutely help him! But no, not in terms of the number of flights needed to hit 4MM, just in terms of sanity while taking those flights...

flyme2theriver Jul 4, 2018 7:05 pm

you're right - thx I was conflating PQM with BIS.

Live4Upgrade Jul 4, 2018 7:06 pm

It's BIS miles. You probably should factor in the cost of a divorce if you actually try to pull this off.