Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Ending LAX-SIN, going 2x daily SFO-SIN, 27 OCT 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Ending LAX-SIN, going 2x daily SFO-SIN, 27 OCT 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
A silver lining to SFO's stratus problem: misconnecting to SIN you'll only be delayed by, instead of 24 hours, only about 12 hours...
Use to fly LAX/SFO - SIN regularly but being based out of SFO I obviously prefer SFO. My wife unfortunately still makes the run several times a year and this was good news for her. A lot of tech companies in the Bay Area do heavy business out of Singapore and Asia in general so I am sure this had something to do with the switch. I use to hate having to fly to or from LAX just to get my LAX-SIN flight.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM
Yikes - the UA Website is wrong I guess. https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-upgrades.html

Just read this in the FT wiki:
LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
Appears this also applies to use of UA GPUs IF booked as native flight number on LH or UA ticket stock.
Presently UA is not converting codeshare to native flight numbers, as required for this process, if P or Z fare

Glad to know that for the future. I just missed out on applying an upgrade on a recent LH/UA itinerary because I didnt know about this change.

Good to know that you need to pick the flight combo with LH flight number to avail yourself of this GPU opportunityty in the future.

----------------------

Moderator Note -- Please let's focus further discussion of the LH/GPU usage in Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic (How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,...)
Thanks

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 2, 2018 at 2:53 pm Reason: Moderator Note
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I guess UA couldn't compete with SQ out of the LAX market. And, as someone noted upthread, it appears UA won't fight too hard for x-LAX traffic going internationally to Asia.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Well, this might be true. UA still has LAX-PVG and LAX-NRT flights. It code-shares with Air China on a number of LAX-PEK flights a day, with NH on a number of LAX-NRT flights. It is a disappointment for ex-LAX flyers. Hopefully, LAX-BKK will be added soon.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by mh3265a
I guess UA couldn't compete with SQ out of the LAX market. And, as someone noted upthread, it appears UA won't fight too hard for x-LAX traffic going internationally to Asia.
Yes, most LAX-Asia markets are somewhat larger in sheer size, but SFO-Asia is often by far the stronger TPAC market for yields. This is partly driven by the Bay Area's comparatively more affluent customer base, and partly due to the fact that competition at SFO is somewhat less intense. TBH LAX-Asia flying is a bloody race to the bottom at the moment, as the mainland Chinese carriers + ME3 are undercutting like crazy on price.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Yes, NH is a fine airlines and have won many fans, but it just does not do it for me.
I found their service too slow for my liking, and their fine food does not gel with me. I love flying SQ and BR, and their services are more intuitive vs NH's rigid approach. (SQ was the same before, but has improved a great of deal).
One trivial thing that bothers me is lack of footrest in its business suite. The current configuration has a cubby hole only. One has to fully extend the legs to rest the legs in a sitting position vs having a footrest build into the seat so one can switch to a lounge chair position.
Fair point. Though personally given the 2-4-2 config of the UA 777-200 versus the every seat has aisle access of a NH, I'm willing to forgo the footrest issue. So until UA has Polaris seating, NH still wins.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by mh3265a
Or as others have pointed out, maybe they’re chasing higher yields? SFO-SIN is an insanely difficult upgrade.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Hopefully, LAX-BKK will be added soon.
I frequently visit BKK for my business travel, and I noted business cabins on the intra-Asia flights seem fairly light except for NRT-BKK. Not sure UA will get good yield from the US on an year-round LAX-BKK service.

BTW, I flew TG A350 from PEK to BKK last month. Love the TG business cabin. I have the PEK transit routine and timing figured out. It is now my preferred routing to BKK from the US: IAD-PEK/NRT-BKK. It beats IAD-SFO-SIN-BKK in terms of timing and one less connection.. I get good sleep on PEK/NRT-BKK, versus the short flight from SIN to BKK.. Also flatbed seats all the way!
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by SFOdelayed
Or as others have pointed out, maybe they’re chasing higher yields? SFO-SIN is an insanely difficult upgrade.
Given rising oil prices the pressure is now on the airlines to increase yield. We're starting to see that different airlines are taking different approaches to this problem. AA is reducing the number of routes trimming, away the unprofitable Asia and regional routes. UA has taken a slightly different approach of refocusing existing routes to their hubs to maximize yield/load factor. DL has taken yet another track and have refocused routes to destinations they feel could deliver more profits like Bombay.

It'll be interesting to see which airlines approach ends up winning (if any of them) given the industry's record of burning cash at breakneck speed when they face economic shocks.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Fair point. Though personally given the 2-4-2 config of the UA 777-200 versus the every seat has aisle access of a NH, I'm willing to forgo the footrest issue. So until UA has Polaris seating, NH still wins.
Yes, I think you're spot on. It’s too bad United cant find a way upgrade the SIN frames to Polaris sooner. With 2 flights a day + Polaris seats + Premium Economy, i think they could push SQ out of SFO... In an odd numbered Polaris seat and a set of Bose headphones, the remaining SQ/UA differences become a non-issue.

Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
What TYO routes are still using the UA 3 class 777?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by uastarflyer

What TYO routes are still using the UA 3 class 777?
ORD, IAD and HNL
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
It is now my preferred routing to BKK from the US: IAD-PEK/NRT-BKK. It beats IAD-SFO-SIN-BKK in terms of timing and one less connection.. I get good sleep on PEK/NRT-BKK, versus the short flight from SIN to BKK.. Also flatbed seats all the way!
IAD-PEK-BKK will no longer be your preferred routing the first time you misconnect in PEK due to a military closure of the airspace or just the general incredibly high volume of traffic there.

Be careful to select the NH 787-9, not the 787-8, for the NRT-BKK flight, and then hope you don’t end up with an equipment swap.

Neither IAD-PEK-BKK nor IAD-SFO-SIN-BKK sound like something that UA would sell on a single ticket without a very high fare. Are these award tickets?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by truncated
ORD, IAD and HNL
Thanks. Maybe the revenue sharing influences these choices. As well as crew base and airframe pairings
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Thanks. Maybe the revenue sharing influences these choices. As well as crew base and airframe pairings
I figured it had more to do with ORD and IAD being pmUA hubs. I know they’ve mixed it up a little, but I’ve never seen sUA 772s at EWR except to BRU and FRA every now and then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.