Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gutted over loss of GFL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
Although I know this has been said Ad Nauseum, but why did they close the GFL at IAD?

According to an article I read a couple of days ago United will build a Polaris lounge close to the aerotrain entrance at concourse C, but knowing UA and MWAA this may take a while... seems like they expect the structure to appear tomorrow.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by am1108
Although I know this has been said Ad Nauseum, but why did they close the GFL at IAD?...
Because UA no longer has GF and it was too small to be a Business Class lounge -- so it was convert to UC (lowering the crowding in the UCs).
UA First lounges/GFL have closed now that GF/PF is gone -- what happens to the space?
am1108 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mduell
KLM lounge at KIAH has a self service bar with liquor.
Not to mention the UC in ATL.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by VWang1111

Not to mention the UC in ATL.
Only beer & wine though. No liquor.

At any rate, you can’t say any of this is due nationally to legal requirements. Liquor laws in the US vary wildly by state, city, county, locality, phase of moon... and there have been plenty of lounges with self service everything that makes that theory moot.

The self serve bars at the UA GFLs are sorely missed.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Because UA no longer has GF and it was too small to be a Business Class lounge -- so it was convert to UC (lowering the crowding in the UCs).
UA First lounges/GFL have closed now that GF/PF is gone -- what happens to the space?

I wish they had done what they did in the other airports and turned it into a VIP lounge till Polaris is done. At least it would have stayed as an oasis of quiet for GS. As it stands, I avoid IAD like the plague.
am1108 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:56 am

I will be gutted once the PL arrives at LHR since that likely means UCs will likely become Domesticated. Oh well, at least there will still be 3 other *Gold lounges to choose from (only managed to try UA and SQ so far).

-James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.