Search

Gutted over loss of GFL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Gutted over loss of GFL

So sad that IAD Global First Lounge (GFL) is closing at the end of the month. Always quiet and exclusive.

The GFL and formerly First International Lounges and Arrivals locations used to be almost secretive, boutique havens in major airports around the world. It is like the end of an era. Remember the Butler is the old LHR FIL?

Others have memories of favorite UA first class, arrivals or 1K rooms that have closed?
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by BOStonTravels
So sad that IAD Global First Lounge (GFL) is closing at the end of the month. Always quiet and exclusive.

The GFL and formerly First International Lounges and Arrivals locations used to be almost secretive, boutique havens in major airports around the world. It is like the end of an era. Remember the Butler is the old LHR FIL?

Others have memories of favorite UA first class, arrivals or 1K rooms that have closed?
Outside of the new LHR GFL, only saw SFO and IAD in their waning years -- honestly they both struck me as pretty dumpy and I never quite understood the excitement around them.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Outside of the new LHR GFL, only saw SFO and IAD in their waning years -- honestly they both struck me as pretty dumpy and I never quite understood the excitement around them.
back in the day (before 2001) UA’s First and Arrivals lounges were the “gold standard” across the industry. There continued to be a certain allure and a reminder of separate services for First class rather than a blended lounge concept. The service provided in the old 1K secret rooms unmatched...
Markie, Eastbay1K and greg99 like this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...back in the day (before 2001) UA’s First and Arrivals lounges were the “gold standard” across the industry. There continued to be a certain allure and a reminder of separate services for First class rather than a blended lounge concept. The service provided in the old 1K secret rooms unmatched...
You'll never make the best of today if you live in the past. UA GFL Lounge the "gold standard"? I guess you never visited Singapore's top lounge in that timeframe.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
With F being dumped as a class of service, a bit hard to justify a F lounge. UA is doing to an all J premium cabin and building out a new J lounge at IAD (all branded as Polaris, because that takes some of the sting out of not having F).

In fairness, it would have been better to have dumped F before it went down hill. But, really doesn't matter going forward.

The IFL / GFL's were hardly exclusive or secret. They were open to all F (international).
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
UA could do a better job at least keep the IAD GFL open until the “ still to be planned” Polaris Lounge is operational.

All three IAD United Clubs are packed and badly need a refresh to meet the current demand.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
UA could do a better job at least keep the IAD GFL open until the “ still to be planned” Polaris Lounge is operational...
100%. They could direct GSs and int'l front-cabin 1Ks to it in order to alleviate some of the crowding at IAD UCs.
Billygreg likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
According to the blogger from View From the Wing -

per a post i have scheduled for later today, the IAD Global First lounge will be a United Club to facilitate construction on polaris lounge
Old Jun 17, 2018, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
100%. They could direct GSs and int'l front-cabin 1Ks to it in order to alleviate some of the crowding at IAD UCs.
there is always LH and TK ... albeit with a walk involved. But agreed, they should have kept it open.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 3:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
there is always LH and TK ... albeit with a walk involved. .....
and just as crowded or more so,
Old Jun 17, 2018, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by JMBResona
According to the blogger from View From the Wing -
I don’t seem to be able to find that post from View Frkn the Wing. Which blogger reported?
Old Jun 17, 2018, 3:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You'll never make the best of today if you live in the past. UA GFL Lounge the "gold standard"? I guess you never visited Singapore's top lounge in that timeframe.
UA had a wonderful International First Class product back in the day and made a terrific effort to have separate International First Lounges around the USA and globe. I like remembering those experiences.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 6:21 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I think of airlines (and a lot of companies) like people. They actually do get old and senile, and their children have to sell off their belongings (or lounges) when it gets too bad and they can't take care of themselves.

There really is something to the notion of companies aging along with their employees. Some companies manage to hold on for it longer because of their culture, their choices when they were young, their finances, etc.

Time to try new and younger airlines to rekindle your memories of UA when it was in it's prime, huh?
Ripper3785 and BOStonTravels like this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

UA had a wonderful International First Class product back in the day and made a terrific effort to have separate International First Lounges around the USA and globe. I like remembering those experiences.
And some of the FAs my wife talked to on our international long hauls this year also remember proudly the International First Class product back in the day.
BOStonTravels likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by TA
I think of airlines (and a lot of companies) like people. They actually do get old and senile, and their children have to sell off their belongings (or lounges) when it gets too bad and they can't take care of themselves.

There really is something to the notion of companies aging along with their employees. Some companies manage to hold on for it longer because of their culture, their choices when they were young, their finances, etc.

Time to try new and younger airlines to rekindle your memories of UA when it was in it's prime, huh?
I like your analogy, but not the final sentence. The young airlines are like millennials.. and as a millennial, I say avoid at all cost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.