Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Bag allowance for Austrian award flight booked with UA miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bag allowance for Austrian award flight booked with UA miles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
Just spent 70,000 miles on a business class award from New York to Croatia. Flying business from EWR to VIE on OS, then connecting to SPU in coach. I pulled my reservation on Austrian's website to double check details. I noticed that in the baggage section, it showed that I am only entitled to 1 8 kg hand bag and no checked bag. Is this a new policy or is this an error? ....
Common issue with OS site for awards, you will get you *G allowance
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What does your e-ticket receipt say? It will show the charges, if any, for the first and second bags. That is what the check-in agent will see.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum

Originally Posted by Often1
What does your e-ticket receipt say? It will show the charges, if any, for the first and second bags. That is what the check-in agent will see.
The UA e-ticket shows 2 free bags at 70 pounds each.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
The UA e-ticket shows 2 free bags at 70 pounds each.
That's what a Business Class passenger should get. *G should get you an additional 32 kg bag.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 2:59 am

Programs: UA PG, IHG Diamond Amb
I am 1K and booked an award flight for my non-status daughter MEL-PEK-VIE-TLV.
The MEL-PEK leg is Air China and the others are Austrian.
The Austrian legs are showing 8KG hand luggage only when i access the booking on Austrian website (I understand that this is an IT glitch).
Air China allows 2PCS between Australia and Asia.
United confirmation shows 1st bag free and 2nd bag $287.

Will Air China likely allow the 2 bags all the way through to TLV, or will they check Austrian allowance?
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by thedon
I am 1K and booked an award flight for my non-status daughter MEL-PEK-VIE-TLV.
The MEL-PEK leg is Air China and the others are Austrian.
The Austrian legs are showing 8KG hand luggage only when i access the booking on Austrian website (I understand that this is an IT glitch).
Air China allows 2PCS between Australia and Asia.
United confirmation shows 1st bag free and 2nd bag $287.

Will Air China likely allow the 2 bags all the way through to TLV, or will they check Austrian allowance?
As United is not the operating carrier or really involved much at all, probably not the best place to ask this, but I'll give it a go...

As this itinerary does not touch the USA, the DOT rule does not apply and instead IATA Resolution 302 states that the MSC of the journey sets the baggage allowance. In this case that would be OS, since it operates PEK-VIE, the first segment to cross out of Area 3. OS defers to the marketing carrier if it is the operating carrier, but since this is a UA award the marketing carrier is also OS. Technically speaking, your allowance should be 1x23 kg.

However, CA may at its election use its own allowance if it is more generous (which it is), so it is possible but not guaranteed they will permit 2x23kg. That would be a question for CA.
jsloan, Often1 and narvik like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 3:10 am

Programs: UA PG, IHG Diamond Amb
Just to update CA allowed her to check 2 bags through to TLV. Much relieved.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 12:47 am

Programs: UA 1k MM, KLM Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Platinum
Hello FTers,

I just booked award tickets on UA for a VIE-CDG itinerary in January. The flights are on Austrian Airlines and Eurowings. The email confirmation from UA says one piece of checked luggage is free. However, when I try to manage the booking on the Austrian or Eurowings sites, the tickets are shown as "no checked luggage allowance". Has anyone found this discrepancy? I assume the carrier rules apply but it's a problem because you can't book award tickets in specific fare codes so it's impossible to know when you book whether luggage is included or not.

Update: I just got off the phone with the 1K Desk. I don't even know where to start. A supervisor got involved and after about 20 minutes, the answer was still "it's up to the carrier to set baggage rules". Am I the only person thinking it's weird that UA will "sell" a reward ticket to a passenger without having any idea OR communicating to the passenger whether they have free checked luggage or not? I'm glad I checked because I would have found out at the airport.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 23, 2019 at 4:23 pm Reason: merged update / consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 23, 2019, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jade_BR
Update: I just got off the phone with the 1K Desk. I don't even know where to start. A supervisor got involved and after about 20 minutes, the answer was still "it's up to the carrier to set baggage rules". Am I the only person thinking it's weird that UA will "sell" a reward ticket to a passenger without having any idea OR communicating to the passenger whether they have free checked luggage or not? I'm glad I checked because I would have found out at the airport.
The receipt is required by law to be correct (although it's sometimes wrong anyway). 1K desk supervisors aren't.

In this case, UA happens to be correct, and the other site is incorrect. For whatever reason, some other airlines seem to get very confused with United mileage tickets, and list them as "light" fares. Bag allowance for Austrian award flight booked with UA miles
Old Sep 23, 2019, 1:52 am

Programs: UA 1k MM, KLM Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
The receipt is required by law to be correct (although it's sometimes wrong anyway). 1K desk supervisors aren't.

In this case, UA happens to be correct, and the other site is incorrect. For whatever reason, some other airlines seem to get very confused with United mileage tickets, and list them as "light" fares. Bag allowance for Austrian award flight booked with UA miles
Thank you. I think the issue is further complicated by the fact that the flights do not originate in the US, therefore DOT rules are not applicable as far as OS is concerned. But I'm relieved to see that others have found it to be an IT glitch rather than policy. Thank you for pointing me to that thread.

On a related note I've seen quite a few posts about *G and the extra luggage allowance, but it's been my experience that luggage privileges do NOT apply for intra-Europe flights. Learned it the hard way when showing up for a SAS flight ARN-AMS and being charged 60 euro.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
On a related note I've seen quite a few posts about *G and the extra luggage allowance, but it's been my experience that luggage privileges do NOT apply for intra-Europe flights. Learned it the hard way when showing up for a SAS flight ARN-AMS and being charged 60 euro.
This is completely false on its own. *G baggage allowance is absolutely honored on all *A flights, including intra-Europe. But we don't have enough info to help explain why you were possibly charged. Were you on a paid "light" fare intra-Europe? If so, no baggage.

-RM
Old Sep 23, 2019, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Award tickets are never light fares. Ignore the partners notes.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Hello FTers,

I just booked award tickets on UA for a VIE-CDG itinerary in January. The flights are on Austrian Airlines and Eurowings. The email confirmation from UA says one piece of checked luggage is free. However, when I try to manage the booking on the Austrian or Eurowings sites, the tickets are shown as "no checked luggage allowance". Has anyone found this discrepancy? I assume the carrier rules apply but it's a problem because you can't book award tickets in specific fare codes so it's impossible to know when you book whether luggage is included or not.
If you do a quick search you will find this is frequently displayed incorrectly at partner airlines. Award tickets with EW and OS include a checked bag. Don't bother calling UA, their agents are clueless.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Well known UA error.

Best explanation I've seen is by nerdbirdsjc: UA Award Ticket - Baggage Allowance on LX
Old Sep 23, 2019, 10:23 am

Baggage allowances when you have multiple partners operating your itinerary would depend on whichever airline is flying the majority of the distance. For instance, suppose your EuroWings flight is intra-Europe whilst the TATL portion is SAS. Then SAS baggage policy would apply for the entire itinerary since they're the longest segment in the itinerary.

Generally speaking, an award flight should book into a normal economy bucket for *A partners which may or may not have baggage allowance. I believe OS regular economy Trans-Atlantic gives you at least 1 checked bag gratis regardless of frequent flyer status.

Safe Travels,

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.