FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Bag allowance for Austrian award flight booked with UA miles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1914807-bag-allowance-austrian-award-flight-booked-ua-miles.html)

TLVflyer Jun 17, 2018 1:56 am

Bag allowance for Austrian award flight booked with UA miles

Friends,

My wife is traveling TLV-VIE-JFK next week on a UA mileage ticket. She has no premier status.

I looked at the booking today on Austrian.com and got the impression that she has a ZERO baggage allowance on this flight. Is that really true? Does she not get even one bag for this long haul? Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

cfischer Jun 17, 2018 2:31 am

Originally Posted by TLVflyer (Post 29874853)
Friends,

My wife is traveling TLV-VIE-JFK next week on a UA mileage ticket. She has no premier status.

I looked at the booking today on Austrian.com and got the impression that she has a ZERO baggage allowance on this flight. Is that really true? Does she not get even one bag for this long haul? Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

whatever is printed on the UA ticket should apply, what does it show? Unless there is something strange w/ TLV it should be 1 bag in coach and 2 bags in business on Austrian (their rules apply). Mileage ticket do not book into 'light' fares so for TATL flights you should expect your usual allowance. What is displayed is frequently wrong, don't worry ... it is pretty much inconsequential.

TLVflyer Jun 17, 2018 2:55 am

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 29874899)
whatever is printed on the UA ticket should apply, what does it show? Unless there is something strange w/ TLV it should be 1 bag in coach and 2 bags in business on Austrian (their rules apply). Mileage ticket do not book into 'light' fares so for TATL flights you should expect your usual allowance. What is displayed is frequently wrong, don't worry ... it is pretty much inconsequential.

Thank you. The UA ticket does say that first back is 0.00 USD and second is 100.00 USD. But, it is so irritating that the Austrian website shows it as hand baggage only. I hope it is as simple as you say. (The same thing happens when I fly on partner airlines to UA and it shows that I only get one back despite having my 1K in the profile.)

Thank you so much!

sannmann Jun 17, 2018 3:46 am

It's common for award tickets not to show the correct baggage allowance. At least, I have an Austrian flight booked for this December in business; the Austrian website also shows zero bags allowed. As it's in business, I'm allowed two bags.

3Cforme Jun 17, 2018 4:24 am

Originally Posted by TLVflyer (Post 29874919)
Thank you. The UA ticket does say that first back is 0.00 USD and second is 100.00 USD. But, it is so irritating that the Austrian website shows it as hand baggage only.

By U.S. regulation the ticket receipt must show the baggage allowance.

iandm Jun 17, 2018 6:46 am

1 bag up to 23kg for free 100%

Often1 Jun 17, 2018 6:53 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 29875026)
By U.S. regulation the ticket receipt must show the baggage allowance.

Ignore the OS website. OS does not set the baggage allowance for your wife's ticket.

Her baggage allowance for all segments is the allowance for the marketing carrier of the first segment. That is UA. So long as her e-ticket receipt (not PNR) shows the 1st bag at $0, that is what the check-in agent will see and will be used to check her bag at TLV to JFK.

As is always the case, she should have a paper print out of her e-ticket with her in any event.

Kacee Jun 17, 2018 7:18 am

For some reason, the baggage allowance shows completely wrong on the website and the ticket receipt when you have a UA issued ticket on an LH Group carrier.

Business class passengers are entitled to two bags at 32 kg per bag. Austrian Baggage Allowances

This shows wrong for me even on paid business class tickets as a *G.

DetroitFlyer Jun 17, 2018 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 29875290)
Ignore the OS website. OS does not set the baggage allowance for your wife's ticket.

Her baggage allowance for all segments is the allowance for the marketing carrier of the first segment. That is UA. So long as her e-ticket receipt (not PNR) shows the 1st bag at $0, that is what the check-in agent will see and will be used to check her bag at TLV to JFK.

As is always the case, she should have a paper print out of her e-ticket with her in any event.

You might be confused. Since this is a UA award ticket with flights operated by Austrian, it cannot be UA-marketed. UA does not sell awards with UA marketed codeshares.

Kacee Jun 17, 2018 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 29875290)

Ignore this post ;)

jsloan Jun 17, 2018 10:30 am

Originally Posted by TLVflyer (Post 29874919)
Thank you. The UA ticket does say that first back is 0.00 USD and second is 100.00 USD. But, it is so irritating that the Austrian website shows it as hand baggage only. I hope it is as simple as you say. (The same thing happens when I fly on partner airlines to UA and it shows that I only get one back despite having my 1K in the profile.)

Thank you so much!

So, you haven't actually provided enough information to answer your question.

If this is a one-way flight or the outbound of a round trip, her luggage allowance is determined by OS, and their forum is the best place to ask about it. As others have said, though, mileage tickets don't (currently*) book into the Light fares, so I'd expect a minimum allowance of a single bag at 23kg.

If not -- i.e., if this is a return flight -- the luggage allowance depends upon the first airline on the itinerary.

TLVflyer Jun 17, 2018 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 29875794)
So, you haven't actually provided enough information to answer your question.

If this is a one-way flight or the outbound of a round trip, her luggage allowance is determined by OS, and their forum is the best place to ask about it. As others have said, though, mileage tickets don't (currently*) book into the Light fares, so I'd expect a minimum allowance of a single bag at 23kg.

If not -- i.e., if this is a return flight -- the luggage allowance depends upon the first airline on the itinerary.

This is indeed a one-way. If they don't book into light fares, then way, pray tell, does the OS website say that she's not entitled to a bag? Who knows?

Thanks!

shoeflyer Jun 17, 2018 5:30 pm

Had the same situation with a Brussels Airlines flight from LIS-BRU booked with UA miles (it was in business). UA confirmation said 2 free bags
and the Brussels Airlines reservation said Business Class and no free bags (a most illogical combination). At the end of the day, no issues when
checking in. I chalk it up to IT handshake issues in how the reservation gets shared between the partner airlines.

jsloan Jun 17, 2018 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by TLVflyer (Post 29876469)
This is indeed a one-way. If they don't book into light fares, then way, pray tell, does the OS website say that she's not entitled to a bag? Who knows?

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm going to have to go with "IT glitch." I'd have her bring a copy of the UA receipt, just in case, but I doubt there will be any issues.

BA_Jfan Oct 7, 2018 6:06 pm

Baggage allowance on OS business award tickets

Just spent 70,000 miles on a business class award from New York to Croatia. Flying business from EWR to VIE on OS, then connecting to SPU in coach. I pulled my reservation on Austrian's website to double check details. I noticed that in the baggage section, it showed that I am only entitled to 1 8 kg hand bag and no checked bag. Is this a new policy or is this an error? As a Star Gold flying in long haul business, with a short haul connecting flight in coach its very odd to me to see that I get 0 checked baggage allotment.