Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

App display of early cleared upgrades changed? Waitlists on gate monitors going away?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

App display of early cleared upgrades changed? Waitlists on gate monitors going away?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
it is possible that a cleared upgrade is invisible and included in the Booked total.
This was my experience. I'm upgraded on one of my flights for tomorrow (cleared at T-96), but I wasn't on the list. Even after check-in, I'm not on the list. I thought it might be because I'm on an award (1K w/Explorer card), but it seems like it may be more widespread than that.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Anecdotally, it feels like this is now the case on domestic flights, but I don't have any upgraded domestic segments active right now so I cannot confirm. Sounds like we're close to confirmation though.

This is a mildly disappointing change, as it decreases visibility into load factors, but I guess that might be the point.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I’m upgraded on two flights this coming Saturday and don’t show up. Now I have to actually view my reservation since upgrade emails are often delayed 6-12 hours.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
They are just chipping away regularly enough now to make it begin to feel that it is accelerating towards becoming a low cost carrier mentality airline.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
It can be frustrating when you're 1K, spend a lot on a flight, #1 on the upgrade list, but first class is already full and none of those passengers got upgraded. It seems to me that this is what they're trying to solve. They want the ability to cheaply sell all (or most) of the first class cabin and not have anybody know this.
KDS777 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:20 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Upgrade List on the app and web has been modified to only show confirmed upgrades after checking in. Major downgrade.

Just a reminder on the behavior of the gate waitlist in the recent past.

For CPU eligible flights, the display waitlist will show early cleared upgrades and JN awards even prior to check-in. Waitlisters are not shown until they check in
(this was true for my flight yesterday)

For non-CPU eligible flights, earlier upgrades will not show even once check-in has started. The only folks shown cleared with be those cleared at the gate.

Once the flight has closed, all waitlisted passenger names will disappear and only those that were shown ad clear will continue to be displayed.

Note it has been reported some previously CPU eligible Hawaii flights continue to show the CPU eligible approach even after they were changed to non-CPU eligible. Inlcudingthe displayof upgrades cleared a few days prior to departure.

As of yesterday, there was no change in the display waitlist for my CPU eligible flight. Including the display of upgrades cleared a few days prior to departure.
drewguy and sexykitten7 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 8, 2018 at 9:26 am Reason: my recent flight
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Just a reminder on the behavior of the gate waitlist

For CPU eligible flights, the display waitlist will show early cleared upgrades and JN awards even prior to check-in. Waitlisters are not shown until they check in

For non-CPU eligible flights, earlier upgrades will not show even once check-in has started. The only folks shown cleared with be those cleared at the gate.
Once the flight has closed, are waitlisted passenger will disappear and only those that were shown ad clear will continue to be displayed.

Note it has been reported some previously CPU eligible Hawaii flights continue to show the CPU eligible approach even after they were changed to non-CPU eligible.

As of yesterday, there was no change in the display wait for my CPU eligible flight.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but for my two domestic cleared upgrades, I wasn't shown before or after check in. Both flights are via CPU. Those that haven't cleared yet, but are waitlisted are showing, but the rest of us that cleared in advance aren't showing.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's the thing -- this is no longer true -- at least, not systemwide.

I'm upgraded on a Skywest flight tonight; I got a CPU at T-96, I'm checked in, and I've never been on the list. I got a CPU on a mainline flight this coming Sunday -- same deal; I'm not on the list. And, I've got a cleared RPU for travel on CPU-eligible flights on 6/24; two segments, both cleared, and I'm on neither list.

I don't know whether it's a deliberate or accidental change, but it's definitely new behavior. I've written to 1K voice to ask them either to fix it (if it's unintentional) or rethink it (if it's a new policy). I encourage others to contact UA also.

Last edited by jsloan; Jun 8, 2018 at 10:01 am Reason: clarified which Sunday
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:30 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There may have been a change, but folks have been confused about this behavior in the past so wanted to have a baseline for this discussion.

And my flight yesterday followed the previous CPU eligible flight pattern.

To tell if there is a change and for what circumstances, we are going to need more info on these flights with different behaviors.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:44 am

There may have been a change, but folks have been confused about this behavior in the past so wanted to have a baseline for this discussion.

And my flight yesterday followed the previous CPU eligible flight pattern.

To tell if there is a change and for what circumstances, we are going to need more info on these flights with different behaviors.
My PHX-DEN flight yesterday (May 7th) appeared as normal, in other words cleared upgrades had name and check mark, waitlisted without the check mark. Tomorrow's COS-DEN, and DEN-SNA doesn't show any cleared names, just those that are checked in and waitlisted. I'm cleared on both (at the 48 hr mark).
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Not quite on topic (for the heading) but for my GPU on Tuesday (June 5), the domestic leg SFO-SAN listed my upgrade in the flight status in the app (did not check the monitor) but the international leg LHR-SFO never showed me as upgraded. The domestic UG came through very soon after booking the reservation. The international UG came through at T-96.

I think I also noticed this same phenomena on the flight out in May: SAN-DEN-LHR. Domestic upgrade was reflected in the flight status but the international upgrade did not shown in the flight status. The UGs came through soon after booking the flights. Again, did not look at the monitor as I was already upgraded.

Agree, it is fun to see the list, especially the FT competition of longest UG list. Perhaps it is the fault of FT that this has been removed?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's definitely a change for all of my flights, starting today, as detailed in my previous post. I have two CPU'd legs and two RPU's legs on CPU-eligible routes, and I'm not on the upgrade list on any of them.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Domestic upgrade was reflected in the flight status but the international upgrade did not shown in the flight status.
That has long been the behavior for non-CPU eligible flights, as WineCountryUA stated, and has definitely been the source of some confusion.

Last edited by jsloan; Jun 8, 2018 at 10:04 am Reason: Added response to new message
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K - 1MM, DL Gold - 2MM, AA Plat - 2MM
My confirmed RPU upgrade is not listed on my CPU eligible flight tomorrow. I think there has definitely been a change.

I should add ... there are NO upgrades listed but definitely an upgrade wait list.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: UA GS
I will have a data point later today. Upcoming flight is booked 7/16 in FC. On similar flights at T-120 (GS CPU window opening) with 9 seats available for sale I have always received an upgrade. I'll report system behavior at the T-120 mark.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: UA GS
If this is a permanent change, a post from UA Insider would be appropriate, especially given the fundamental shift in eliminating the transparency of the upgrade process. Major fail here.
SFO 1K, fezzington and KDS777 like this.

Last edited by LAXOGG; Jun 8, 2018 at 10:34 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.