Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No more local & now no more papers in UC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more local & now no more papers in UC?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I'm not much of a twitter guy (ok, not at all), but why doesn't someone fire the question directly to UA via that route?

"Cleveland UC today and there were no local papers or USA Today. Was told by the front desk that this was a quiet announcement to eliminate the local papers and USA Todays and only offer Wall Street Journal." is this accurate?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I guess I'll be in the minority - but isn't the removal of physical newspapers a good thing?

In my opinion, the physical impact to the environment is huge. Trees don't magically become a physical newspaper - the carbon emissions are huge - they've got to be thrown away - it is just an environmental huge impact.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I guess I'll be in the minority - but isn't the removal of physical newspapers a good thing?

In my opinion, the physical impact to the environment is huge. Trees don't magically become a physical newspaper - the carbon emissions are huge - they've got to be thrown away - it is just an environmental huge impact.
If you're reading a newspaper in the club, you're about to get on (or just got off of) an aeroplane.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
The USA Today disappearing is no loss to me, but I will miss the local papers. It's not a replacement to say that you can read them online - many/most local papers now have paywalls such that at most you can read a handful of articles.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by TCD
Wait, people take the papers away with them? I always assumed that they should stay in the club for everyone to enjoy. What about magazines like the Economist, would you take those away also?

While I think that's it poor form for UA to remove things that people are using in the clubs, I also think its not their place to provide in-flight reading material. That should be on the flyer, not on the club.
The papers are usually stacked rather high, suggesting they are not limited in number. If they appeared meaningfully limited then I would agree, but I have always assumed the UC (like airlines that provide papers) have an arrangement for a serious discount (up to free) which the papers provide because of the increased exposure to travelers. The DC-NY-Bos shuttles used to have loads of clearly free papers and magazines because the publications assumed (correctly) that many fliers on those routes were an attractive audience. Presumably the same for the UC, which has mainly frequent travelers who probably are more attractive audience than typical.

Now, it may well be that all newspapers other than the WSJ decided the value proposition is no longer there . . .
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:08 pm

I will not miss newspapers being brought on board a flight. It is a bit of a nuisance when the person next to me is rustling, folding, unfolding, flipping their newspaper.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
Apologies if posted already but I didn't see it anywhere.

Stopped in Cleveland UC today and there were no local papers or USA Today. Was told by the front desk that this was a quiet announcement to eliminate the local papers and USA Todays and only offer Wall Street Journal. This started on June 1.

Anyone else noticing this at other clubs? Yes, I know many people don't read a physical paper but I find them very convenient while traveling and this would be a definite loss for my membership.

​​​​​​Sorry but I just hat to LOL at how small a world it is... I'm almost 100% certain I was in the club while you were asking (in the first cube/niche just to the left of the desk).

The only club where I've heard someone ask is CLE where it was also asked when I flew out on Sunday; didn't see any in EWR yesterday (wasn't looking) or DEN today (meant to check but miscalculated my connection time and had to go bat-out-of-hell mode to make my connectoon).

FWIW, ifve appreciated the presence of the papers but I've never actually touched one in the club. Though the PD I occasionally get from Park Place can make for some nice inflight reading (as long as I remember I stuffed it in my bag...)
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
If you're reading a newspaper in the club, you're about to get on (or just got off of) an aeroplane.
Very true. I wonder if HNLbasedFlyer has thought about his carbon footprint (all that flying from HNL) before commenting ...

Originally Posted by Miggles
I will not miss newspapers being brought on board a flight. It is a bit of a nuisance when the person next to me is rustling, folding, unfolding, flipping their newspaper.
Protest too much???
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1M, 1K,AA 2M,HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
I couldn't find any newspapers in EWR Club (around gate 75) yesterday around 3:30 PM, and in the DEN Club (east side) a few hours later there was only the WSJ.
I didn't ask anyone if that was new, just presuming it was later in the day and they all had walked off already.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Miggles
Hopefully you and I will not be seated next to each other on a flight . . .

(well, also because that probably means one of us is stuck in a middle seat . . . )
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:24 pm

SFO Polaris lounge. No papers. Was directed to an app to read them. Not quite the same. Still like the ink on my fingers.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
This stinks.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
Was told by the front desk that this was a quiet announcement to eliminate the local papers and USA Todays and only offer Wall Street Journal.
Bah, the Club just hasn't been the same since they stopped offering printed OAGs. (And, yes, I took them with me; there were plenty, and it definitely seemed to be a "free for the taking" situation ).
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
I will miss getting the puzzles from the USA today. That was always a small pleasure when having access to a club and then getting on a flight.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by malgudi
Very true. I wonder if HNLbasedFlyer has thought about his carbon footprint (all that flying from HNL) before commenting ...

I'm not thrilled about my carbon footprint from flying either - but that is a complete and separate issue.

Planes are getting more efficient and if airfare needs to go up to advance even more flying efficiencies I'm all for it.

Regardless, all those newspapers in a United Club (and hotels - which many stopped leaving at doors a long time ago) seemed like such a huge waste to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.