Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United lying about flight delay {sitting on runway, phone agent not seeing delay}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United lying about flight delay {sitting on runway, phone agent not seeing delay}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
"Lying"? What evidence do you have that UA is being deliberately untruthful? These are usually IT/comm errors.
You mean if you don't mean to say something false it is not a lie? Is whether someone is lying a matter of intent or is there actually an objective measure?
Or do you mean the computer doesn't lie?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by s0ssos
You mean if you don't mean to say something false it is not a lie? Is whether someone is lying a matter of intent or is there actually an objective measure?
In its normal use, "to lie" means to deliberately and knowingly make a false statement.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by 1P
(b) Gate agents book a flight out when it leaves the gate. They don't hang around to see whether it actually takes off. IMO this needs to change. Gate agents should be "responsible" for the flight until it physically departs
The only way an agent knows if an airplane has departed is by looking at the FLIFO (posted above) in the computer and seeing an "OFF" time.

When an airplane is waiting for an ATC release it can be difficult to predict when it will takeoff. A flight could be delayed under a call-for-release, EDCT, or ground-stop.

Call-for-release is for flights into congested airports from nearby airports. IND-ORD, for example. Everytime a flight taxis out the controller calls for a release time. The delay, if any, in usually short and is not known until the airplane taxis.

EDCT is Expect Departure Clearance Time. When an airport is scheduled over capacity (for the current weather and runway configuration) the airport is put into a ground delay program (GDP). Flights departing from the specified regions will receive an EDCT time. EDCT times are often changed by ATC as conditions and traffic changes. Airlines can also shuffle their EDCT arrival slots between different flights for various operational reasons. i.e. prioritizing flights with more passengers, international connections, or crews that are closer to timing out.

If the congestion exceeds the ability of a GDP a ground-stop (GS) can be issued. During a GS, no flights are allowed to depart and no EDCTs are issued. The GS has an "update" time and a probability of extension but that's it. Nobody knows when the GS will be lifted, only that an update will be published at, or before, the specified update time.

You can see active GDPs, GSs, and other related information real-time at this link.

https://www.fly.faa.gov/ois/

Mainline flights have the ability to send an expected off time via ACARS. Express aircraft probably don't have that function so would have to pass it on to their dispatcher and they'd have to enter it. The problem is, what do you enter when even the pilots don't know when they will be able to takeoff?

We need better IT both at the airlines and at the FAA. The FAA needs to develop systems which can give the airlines better information about when a flight will be able to go and the airlines need better systems for taking that data and pushing it "downline" in a logical manner. i.e. not OFF yet means it can't get there until NOW + enroute time and all the cascading delays that this will cause on later flights for the airplane and crew.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Call-for-release is for flights into congested airports from nearby airports. IND-ORD, for example. Everytime a flight taxis out the controller calls for a release time. The delay, if any, in usually short and is not known until the airplane taxis.
Reminds me of a funny story I heard on the radio at SFO... there were departure delays due to the air show (I think) and so departing flights had to call metering to get permission to push.

"San Francisco metering, United xxx ... you have an expected time for us to push? We'll be ready to go in 10 or 15 minutes"
"United xxx ... call me back when you are ready to push and I can give you a time."
"Metering, we're.. uh.. ready to go right now actually."
"Okay, your release time will be xx past the hour [something 25 minutes in the future and consistent with the other assignments]"

Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by expressboy
... flight has been sitting off the runway at IAD for more than an hour and a half. United status says flight left on time and arrived 30 minutes ago in LGA.
Doors close or push back is the measure for departure.
Doors open or brakes off is the measure for arrival.
Wheels up - wheels down is not part of the schedule: just information for those who need to know:- flight crew, dispatchers and the like.
Not for gate agents. When the door is closed the GA's job is done. Onto the next flight

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 4, 2018 at 2:32 pm
Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:30 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by 1P
Here we have the issue of when does a flight actually leave? If the airline says it has left because it has left the gate, when you are sitting on the tarmac for an hour and a half, waiting for wheels up, then any reasonable person would say that the flight has in fact not yet left.

The twofold problem is this:

(a) How to make phone agents understand what's going on. It's quite ridiculous that the phone agents can't check up on Flightaware, or similar, to see the status of the plane, if the airline's own system cannot see that the plane is still parked at a holding apron. That's what I'd ask them to do.

(b) Gate agents book a flight out when it leaves the gate. They don't hang around to see whether it actually takes off. IMO this needs to change. Gate agents should be "responsible" for the flight until it physically departs, even if they are handling subsequent departures. Otherwise you get the scenario (as happened to a friend of mine recently) when the last flight of the day is delayed taking off, and eventually returns to the gate and is canceled because of a mechanical. Long before then, the gate agents have packed up and gone home, and there is no one left at the airport to service the passengers' overnight needs and get their luggage back, let alone rebook them the following day.
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Doors close or push back is the measure for departure.
Doors open or brakes off is the measure for arrival.
Wheels up - wheels down is not part of the schedule: just information for those who need to know:- flight crew, dispatchers and the like. Not for gate agents.
gate agents meet aircraft by driving jet bridges. The “on” time is very much for gate agents. A “wheels up” time is also important as it makes them look at rebooking downline connections as well as to initiate a conversation with the crew and ops as to when they’d actually like to push, subtract from that a boarding duration, and coordinate a boarding time. None of the 4 measured items are in their control, but all of them are important for them to know

Last edited by fastair; Jun 4, 2018 at 3:44 pm
Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
The only way an agent knows if an airplane has departed is by looking at the FLIFO (posted above) in the computer and seeing an "OFF" time.

When an airplane is waiting for an ATC release it can be difficult to predict when it will takeoff. A flight could be delayed under a call-for-release, EDCT, or ground-stop.

EDCT is Expect Departure Clearance Time. When an airport is scheduled over capacity (for the current weather and runway configuration) the airport is put into a ground delay program (GDP). Flights departing from the specified regions will receive an EDCT time. EDCT times are often changed by ATC as conditions and traffic changes. Airlines can also shuffle their EDCT arrival slots between different flights for various operational reasons. i.e. prioritizing flights with more passengers, international connections, or crews that are closer to timing out.

If the congestion exceeds the ability of a GDP a ground-stop (GS) can be issued. During a GS, no flights are allowed to depart and no EDCTs are issued. The GS has an "update" time and a probability of extension but that's it. Nobody knows when the GS will be lifted, only that an update will be published at, or before, the specified update time.

You can see active GDPs, GSs, and other related information real-time at this link.

https://www.fly.faa.gov/ois/

Mainline flights have the ability to send an expected off time via ACARS. Express aircraft probably don't have that function so would have to pass it on to their dispatcher and they'd have to enter it. The problem is, what do you enter when even the pilots don't know when they will be able to takeoff?

We need better IT both at the airlines and at the FAA. The FAA needs to develop systems which can give the airlines better information about when a flight will be able to go and the airlines need better systems for taking that data and pushing it "downline" in a logical manner. i.e. not OFF yet means it can't get there until NOW + enroute time and all the cascading delays that this will cause on later flights for the airplane and crew.
all this stuff so we can fly small airplanes between big cities.... makes absolutely no sense
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by findark
In its normal use, "to lie" means to deliberately and knowingly make a false statement.
In the context of IT/comm (as the poster had said), what does that mean? Do computers lie? Do people tell them to lie?

You can't blame everything on technology (well, you can, but that gets you nowhere). As of now, people are still in charge of the technology.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Forget it Jake, it's LGA. I can't count the number of times my DCA-LGA flight pulled out of the gate on-time and then parked near the end of the runway because LGA wasn't accepting flights due to traffic/weather/miscellaneous.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
In the context of IT/comm (as the poster had said), what does that mean? Do computers lie? Do people tell them to lie?

You can't blame everything on technology (well, you can, but that gets you nowhere). As of now, people are still in charge of the technology.
The thread title says "United lying" (which OP has now acknowledged was more an expression of frustration than a fact based assertion).

It's really not that complicated. But thanks for your valuable addition to the thread.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
The FAA did, with CACR/CTOP. The airlines said meh and never did their side of the work.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
I completely understand United really has no control over ATC delays.

But what frustrates me is (usually at smaller outstations) when flying to hub a flight may pushback 10 minutes late but causes them to miss their ATC window to fly into a busy city causing them a 30-60 min delay getting re-sequenced.

They will blame ATC for the delay and not the initial United's fault pushing back late.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
The thread title says "United lying" (which OP has now acknowledged was more an expression of frustration than a fact based assertion).

It's really not that complicated. But thanks for your valuable addition to the thread.
Actually, it is. Sometimes your flight shows on-time. But you are sitting on the plane and it isn't leaving.

This is basically "alternative facts" or whatever you want to call it. You can call it "slow updating" but if you put a stock trade in and the "computer" delayed it by a few minutes and the stock price changed drastically, is that a big deal? According to you no.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, it is. Sometimes your flight shows on-time. But you are sitting on the plane and it isn't leaving.

This is basically "alternative facts" or whatever you want to call it. You can call it "slow updating" but if you put a stock trade in and the "computer" delayed it by a few minutes and the stock price changed drastically, is that a big deal? According to you no.

The only point of contention is whether or not the word 'lying' applies as a description of the phone agent's response. If the phone agent knew what was happening but would not acknowledge it, then the agent was lying; but if the agent saw an incomplete summary and unwittingly came to the wrong conclusion, the agent was not lying.

Nobody disagrees that it is not good that the computer systems don't fully reflect or communicate what is happening with the flight.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:42 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester

I don't think anyone is claiming there was no impact to the OP, just that "lying" is qualitatively different from "mistaken" or "misinformed".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.