Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF sector on RTW ticket

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
Remember also, that Australians don't have Global Entry, even though we let USA people use SmartGate - isn't life unfair?
Australians can use the US APC kiosks, presuming you are on ESTA/VWP and have entered at least once before on VWP.
Old May 31, 2018, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Originally Posted by stevenshev
Seriously, though, why not AKL as mentioned above? Solves both problems, no?
I didn't go via NZ because a) there is a 5 hr stopover, b) no space available in the RTW booking class on that day. But thanks for the suggestion

Originally Posted by docbert
Australians can use the US APC kiosks, presuming you are on ESTA/VWP and have entered at least once before on VWP.
Yes I do use them, but there is only a small saving in time, still two long lines for inspection and then customs exit. Also about 1/3 of the time I am told by staff not to use the machines if not a citizen - arguing doesn't help
Old May 31, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1k
as part of a RTW ticket issued on UA stock.
I'm confused. My previous Star Alliance Round the World tickets issued on 020 (lufthansa) stock, so it was disappointing for United status. How did you get this on 016 (United) stock?
Old May 31, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hilmar Lehnert
I'm confused. My previous Star Alliance Round the World tickets issued on 020 (lufthansa) stock, so it was disappointing for United status. How did you get this on 016 (United) stock?
If you call UA, you can book a RTW ticket on 016 stock. The online booking tool will put them on 220 stock.

UA used to have a RTW desk with agents who specifically supported this product, but I believe that's long-gone now, so you have to hope that you get a good agent when you call.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
RTW tickets on UA stock and tips

Actually, the rate desk handles RTW tickets now. So you can't call them directly, but only requesting transfer from an agent. On the other hand, these are all very experienced knowledgeable agents.

There is sometimes a $100 or $200 difference in total fares between LH booking online and UA stock, depending on which airlines you are flying, but in the overall picture of a total fare of $8000 and up, this is not a big deal.

Another tip I recently learnt, is that if you set up the itinerary on the staralliance site, and quote the reference number (about 12 characters), the agent can pick it up and manually enter the same flights - much faster than feeding them over the phone.

The last piece of lore I would share, (I have done quite a few RTW tickets), is that some partner airlines take 24 hours to confirm bookings - you must wait until all booked segments are confirmed before ticketing, otherwise you can end up with an invalid ticket ! This can be avoided by asking the agent the expiry time of the booking, ensuring that it is at least 24 hours, or asking them for longer. Then call back close to 24 hrs after booking to ticket, or wait more than 24 hrs and ticket online on the UA site. This does not apply to UA and LH and possibly a few other partner flights, where they have a "seamless" connection between their systems, and confirmation is immediate.

Lastly, read the fare rules carefully - it is really a good fare! (attached is a sample)
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
CRWSTAR1 fare rules.pdf (169.7 KB, 36 views)
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.