Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will baggage be checked through w/ airport change in NYC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will baggage be checked through w/ airport change in NYC

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2018, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Why on earth bother to ask here and then call UA again? It doesn't matter what you are told, it won't happen.

UA will not transport your bags between any of the three NYC airports. Period. You will find this out when the check-in agent wherever you originate can't print bag tags to your final destination.

The easy solution here is to take your bags with you into Manhattan and leave them with the bellman of any of the large hotels. A very nice tip is in order. It's how they make a living. When you are ready to head out to JFK, head to the hotel, pick up your bags and off you go.

As to getting UA to stick your bags on one of its LGA-VIE flights, you will find yourself waiting a very long time for that !
Why so aggressive?

At the point when I called the second time, I had one data point that said they would move them and one that said they wouldn't. I placed much greater trust in the person here than the agent, but I thought if I called back and they confirmed that they would not move them I would be 100% sure instead of 90% sure... As I said in the post the agent was not convincing. So I posted again what UA had said. (Most people would trust a UA representative over the phone rather than a forum post, so it is frustrating.... I did not) And maybe as someone else said, to shame them. We know UA folks watch this forum.. Maybe if they know that their agents are consistently giving out incorrect information, some day, something might improve.

I now see many people agree that both UA agents were wrong, and as I already posted, I was already working on alternate plans.

Thanks to all for the information...
Old May 22, 2018, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by caseynshan
....Most people would trust a UA representative over the phone rather than a forum post...
At their peril

Just consider your own experience. Each agent is going to either 1) get it right or 2) get it wrong.

If you call enough of them, you might get to a point where you have enough answers to take the most popular choice - sort of like when the audience is asked to select the answer on “Who Wants To Be a Millionaire”.

This forum is sort of like that audience. If the majority of responders say “UA won’t transfer the bag”, you better take that advice vs the one of two UA agents you talked to.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 22, 2018 at 11:25 pm
Old May 22, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

At their peril

Just consider your experience own experience. Each agent is going to either 1) get it right or 2) get it bwrong.

If you call enough of them, you might get to a point where you have enough answers to take the most popular choice - sort of like when the audience is asked to select the answer on “Who Wants To Be a Millionaire”.

This forum is sort of like that audience. If the majority of responders say “UA won’t transfer the bag”, you better take that advice vs the one of two UA agents you talked to.
Quite true, except in this forum it's "Who Wants to Be a Million Miler."
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 10:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
One way is to be brave and see if the tag on the bag is VIE. If so, check it in and see if it comes out in VIE.

Another way is to be prepared and also see if it comes out of baggage claim at LGA. If so, then bring it to JFK. If not, you may be in luck (but also may not see the bag for 3-4 days, so pack carefully)
Old May 23, 2018, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Most people would trust a UA representative over the phone rather than a forum post
Hopefully they'll learn.
Old May 23, 2018, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Most people would trust a UA representative over the phone rather than a forum post
Originally Posted by mduell
Hopefully they'll learn.
The primary job of UA phone agents is to sell and change United tickets. The rules and procedures governing other aspects of UA's operation are so complex, it's really not reasonable to expect the agents to know everything, especially when it's beyond their basic job function (selling and changing tickets). Though it would be preferable if the agents would just say "I don't know" rather than make stuff up.
Often1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.