Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will baggage be checked through w/ airport change in NYC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will baggage be checked through w/ airport change in NYC

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Question Will baggage be checked through w/ airport change in NYC

UA award ticket.
11 hour layover in NYC, (we plan to uber into the city in the morning..., and see Manhattan, then uber to jfk in the afternoon
Will our bags be checked through to final destination? or will we have to move them to other airport?
I called UA, and the person CSR told me they would transfer since it was less than 12 hours, but he sounded like he was reading a little from a script he didn't understand, so I want to confirm.

Details.unitedUA32212:51 a.m. Sat., Denver, CO, US (DEN)6:30 a.m. Sat., New York, NY, US (LGA - LaGuardia)Flight Time: 3 hr 39 mn11 Hour LayoverAir AustriaOS885:40 p.m. Sat., New York, NY, US (JFK - Kennedy)8:15 a.m. Sun., Vienna, AT (VIE)Flight Time: 8 hr 35 mn
Old May 17, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
No, you’ll be responsible for moving them between the airports. You’ll check to LGA, pick them up, and will have to get them to JFK.
Old May 17, 2018, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

That is frustrating especially if I can't check my bags at JFK until 4 hours til departure., any ideas on what to do w/ luggage while touring for the day, (won't have a hotel)
Old May 17, 2018, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Did find this in forum

Can't say I've used it myself but apparently there is baggage storage at T1 and T4.
https://www.nyctourist.com/travel_jfk.htm

"There are two places to store your luggage at JFK Airport New York.
  • Terminal 4 at JFK (near the Arrivals area - call 718.751.2947 for information) offers a 24-hour luggage storage service in NY. Depending on the size of your bag, NYC luggage storage rates range between $4- $16 per day.
Terminal 1 at JFK also features a baggage storage service in NYC. (Call 718.751.2947 for information.) This service is also located near the Arrivals area, and is open from 7am- 11pm. NYC luggage storage rates at Terminal 1 also range between $4- $16 per day".
--------------------

Rent-A-Locker is located at 147 W. 35th street, between 7th Avenue and Broadway Avenue, close to Times Square, Herald Square, Empire State Building, Macy's, Manhattan Mall, Madison Square Garden, Penn Station and Port Authority.

hours are 8am to 11pm 7 days a week. call 212-947-0026 or visit www.jsrentalocker.co.m for more information.

----

The Amtrak baggage office at Penn Station Manhattan offers parcel checking for $4.50/piece/day, but they require either an Amtrak or NJ Transit rail ticket. If you are taking NJ Transit into NYC from EWR, make sure that you do not overpay. You can purchase the transportation for $11.00 total (and end up with a punched train ticket) by following the instructions found at www.flyerguide.com. If the Amtrak baggage office will not accept your used train ticket, you can always invest $3 or $4 in a cheap (non-refundable) NJ Transit ticket from NYC to Secaucus or Newark Penn Station.---

You could look for a storage location around the touristy parts of Manhattan (Penn station, Times Sq., Columbus circle, etc.) on Vertoe (https://vertoe.com)

Right now their website gives following locations

Near Penn station
334 West 37th Street, New York, NY 10018, New York City
357 7th Ave New York NY 10001, New York City

Times sq./Port Authority Bus Terminal
580 8th Ave New York NY 10018 , New York City
799 8th Ave, New York, NY 10019 , New York City

I recently stored 3 bags for 2 days ... and it was nice ... so a good service to use

Their website says $10 a day, open 9 to 6
Old May 17, 2018, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
If you're going to be anywhere near Penn Station, and don't want to store your bags at JFK T1 or T4, I would try storing them with Amtrak. If you are asked to produce a ticket, you can buy a cheap NJ Transit ticket to Newark Penn Station from nearby ticket machines. Ask the Amtrak baggage attendant if a half-fare senior citizen ticket would suffice (even if you aren't a senior). After all, you won't actually be using the ticket.
Old May 18, 2018, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

FYI - I called united again.. They assured me that United would move the bags... They drive them over or they just put them on a flight from LGA to Austria (He was not convincing)

casey
Old May 18, 2018, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by caseynshan
FYI - I called united again.. They assured me that United would move the bags... They drive them over or they just put them on a flight from LGA to Austria (He was not convincing)
That's the biggest airline whopper I have heard in some time.
Old May 18, 2018, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

FYI - I called united again.. They assured me that United would move the bags...
Keep calling as many times as you want. It is not going to happen. No matter how many different agents tell you otherwise.

IT WILL NOT HAPPEN.

Plan accordingly.
Old May 18, 2018, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why on earth bother to ask here and then call UA again? It doesn't matter what you are told, it won't happen.

UA will not transport your bags between any of the three NYC airports. Period. You will find this out when the check-in agent wherever you originate can't print bag tags to your final destination.

The easy solution here is to take your bags with you into Manhattan and leave them with the bellman of any of the large hotels. A very nice tip is in order. It's how they make a living. When you are ready to head out to JFK, head to the hotel, pick up your bags and off you go.

As to getting UA to stick your bags on one of its LGA-VIE flights, you will find yourself waiting a very long time for that !
Old May 18, 2018, 9:07 pm

Indeed!

OP, go ahead with the assumption UA will drive your bags over. Come back and let us know how that worked out

Originally Posted by Often1
Why on earth bother to ask here and then call UA again? It doesn't matter what you are told, it won't happen!
SFHokie and iluv2fly like this.
Old May 19, 2018, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
How do we get United to stop giving out such bad advice?

Shame UA Insider is on eternal hiatus.
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 19, 2018, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Getting baggage outside the secured area creates a major trouble.
Old May 20, 2018, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by garykung
Getting baggage outside the secured area creates a major trouble.
I would be much more interested in UA's LGA-VIE service. Quite a technological feat given the airport's operating limits.

Connections which involve a change of airport do create a need for better communication. The stock answer is that on a connection, one's bags are transferred to the connecting flight unless the connection time exceeds the carrier's holding limit, e.g. 12 hours, overnight or whatever.

NYC is one of very few places where US carriers sell connections between the three airports and that deserves an asterisk in the training materials and perhaps a special warning on at ticketing.

Nonetheless, OP has his answer.
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:28 pm

casey
Huh since when did any airline ever operate a LGA-VIE flight let alone to LHR flight? This agent is way off. Just imagine if it were someone who did not know how to use the internet and jut believed the phone agent and then landed in Vienna with no bag or no trace of where the bag is.
Old May 21, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Often1
NYC is one of very few places where US carriers sell connections between the three airports
Why do they offer this? You never see DFW/DAL, or LAX/BUR, or OAK/SFO connections, but airlines think schlepping between LGA and JFK is okay. Why?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.