Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Full Meals @ (ORD) United Clubs - is there a schedule?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2018, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Sometimes (usually in ORD) the United Club will have a full meal option, such as chicken pasta, lasagna, etc. Usually it is just soup & salad. Is there a regular schedule to reference for clubs? Or is this all just luck?

In each of my cases they were served around early evening maybe 5-6pm, so I'm wondering if there is a guaranteed full meal schedule we can rely on.
VTerforlife likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
You get lasagna at ORD? Wow....clearly an airport I don't frequent.

I've never been to a United Club (and I've been to a lot) with a full meal. Some have salami/mozzarella in addition to the cheese cubes - has one with some scrambled eggs (but nothing else with it) - but never a full meal replacement.....
Old May 15, 2018, 11:33 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I think it would be a stretch to say any (domestic) UC has a full meal at any time.

A few clubs have an evening "hot entree" -- such as ORD B16. No aware of any published scheduled and availability will depend on demand.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 15, 2018 at 12:00 pm Reason: clarification
Old May 15, 2018, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I think it would be a stretch to say any UC has a full meal at any time.

A few clubs have an evening "hot entree" -- such as ORD B16. No aware of any published scheduled and availability will depend on demand.
Do you know any of the other few clubs you mention, or when that hot entree is?

For me, a hot entree, salad, soup, wine, and snacks/desserts is a full meal!
Old May 15, 2018, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Virtually all UCs have soup and it's typically available from lunch time onwards.

To my knowledge, the B16 club at ORD is the only domestic UC that consistently offers hot entrees.
lixiaojuventus likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 11:58 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by alchemista
Do you know any of the other few clubs you mention, or when that hot entree is? ,,,,
Originally Posted by Kacee
.....To my knowledge, the B16 club at ORD is the only domestic UC that consistently offers hot entrees.
Thought the ORD F UC at one time also had the evening entree but domestically that is all I have seen. The international UCs also have better options.
onthesam likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 12:19 pm

ORD B6 club also does. Maybe T2 club as well. But C club doesn’t offer hot food at all (unless that has changed in past 45 days.) Can’t help but think this is one of those random UA experiments: Let’s see if enough people notice and give us positive feedback... (I think this phenomenon is only playing out at ORD given that I frequent all the other domestic hubs save for IAD.)
Old May 15, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
I've never seen one published anywhere, and it also varies widely throughout the system as to what may randomly appear. I agree that it would be nice if there was more consistency, but that's not exactly UA's strong suit.
Old May 15, 2018, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
My understanding is all the ORD clubs have (or at least, had) the hot meals during mealtimes. I believe this started back when the C club was closed for renovations, though lest we forget how long ago that was. Have not been to the new C club, but why they would have hot food at both B and the F ORD clibs, and not at the C, is beyond me.

I think main hot dishes at ORD are out in the morning for breakfast, then they transition right away to lunch, then stop for a couple of hours in the afternoon. (2-4’ish, maybe) and then come back for dinner - though I’m not sure what time that ends. I’ve definitely had the hot food at ORD F, though again, it’s been a while.

My understanding is the hot food was supposed to roll out to other clubs throughout the system, but never did. Speculation was they built, for example, the updated EWR A club with a kitchen for this, but never ended up using it. The speculation in here, though I don’t think it was ever substantiated, was that hot food at ORD was so popular that they didn’t want to spend that much in the rest of the system. Part of this would make sense with it not expanding, but part of me thinks it’s somethjng else, as in that case, wouldn’t they have removed the hot food from ORD clubs and just reverted back to soup, salad and snacks.
onthesam likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA: Plat, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
ORD B6 club also does. Maybe T2 club as well.
My experience says that ORD Clubs at B6, B16, and F/T2 all offer hot food, soup, and/or cold sausage/salami/mortadella slices...Usually at various times throughout the afternoon. But I personally can't pinpoint an exact schedule.

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
But C club doesn’t offer hot food at all (unless that has changed in past 45 days.) Can’t help but think this is one of those random UA experiments: Let’s see if enough people notice and give us positive feedback...
The current C Concourse United Club is supposedly a "temporary Club" -- probably for a couple years -- and that's why it doesn't have any hot food. But there's a plan to build an entirely new United Club in the C Concourse, and then the Polaris Lounge will expand to take over the current UC in C Concourse.

-mvitale
Old May 15, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by emcampbe
My understanding is the hot food was supposed to roll out to other clubs throughout the system, but never did. Speculation was they built, for example, the updated EWR A club with a kitchen for this, but never ended up using it. The speculation in here, though I don’t think it was ever substantiated, was that hot food at ORD was so popular that they didn’t want to spend that much in the rest of the system. Part of this would make sense with it not expanding, but part of me thinks it’s somethjng else, as in that case, wouldn’t they have removed the hot food from ORD clubs and just reverted back to soup, salad and snacks.
UA is still tinkering with UC food service, but it seems the momentum is going in the direction of more thoughtful, portion-controlled servings of various "regionally-inspired" items rather than the buffet (trough?) style of one or two industrial-quality hot entrees at mealtimes, as has been the case at ORD since the B16 club reopened.

I actually prefer the revised approach, since the food has been of marginally better quality and the presentation is much more appetizing. For instance, last month the DFW club was serving small cups with an approximation of elotes, and it was pretty good! I am a little put-off, from time to time, by the heaps of food I've seen on plates coming back from the ORD buffets. This seems to be a reasonable compromise and easier to manage.

Last edited by EWR764; May 17, 2018 at 5:29 am
Old May 15, 2018, 4:36 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Kacee
Virtually all UCs have soup and it's typically available from lunch time onwards.

To my knowledge, the B16 club at ORD is the only domestic UC that consistently offers hot entrees.
B6 had sweet and sour chicken for lunch today. Decent.
Old May 15, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
I've had the lasagna/pasta at both B clubs and the F club. I've been to new temporary C club in the evening and have experienced the palak paneer.
Old May 16, 2018, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

I just asked at F about hot entree schedule. They said 4-7pm. I missed by 5 minutes and it was already taken away.
Old May 16, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
My experience at the ORD United Clubs has been that they serve the hot entree (last time I was there it was a cheesy chicken and pasta - pretty good but heavy) around lunchtime, and then it is removed in the afternoon and then comes back during the dinner hour. The hot food is available at both B6 and B17 clubs and the one over in F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.