Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Denied Seat on Award Flight (Partner Airline did not confirm booking)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied Seat on Award Flight (Partner Airline did not confirm booking)

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2018, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Airlines
The flight is on 9/25. Economy is now 70k miles, and business is 155k miles.

If I upgrade to Economy Plus and end up getting bumped to business, will I be refunded the economy plus additional fare costs?
Old May 11, 2018, 4:04 pm

Huh? I see a seat on 9/25 for 30k on UA92.
Old May 11, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Jesperss
Huh? I see a seat on 9/25 for 30k on UA92.
Is it XN space vs X? Credit card holder vs non credit card holder?
Old May 11, 2018, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Scott Endress

If I upgrade to Economy Plus and end up getting bumped to business, will I be refunded the economy plus additional fare costs?
9/25 is pretty far in the future. IMO there is a good chance saver award on a partner will become available. There is a saver award on Austrian the next day (9/26) - if it were me, I'd definitely go for that one, Austrian is great

It also still shows that LOT award at 70K for 9/25, and while there is a chance that won't pan out - I'd try it again (but then again, personally I wouldn't spend my hard earned miles on flying LOT)

And, of course (given that intra-Europe "business" is economy seat in the front of the plane), it may be easier to book a saver award from another airport nearby and just jump a short hop on a lowcoaster (I had good experience with Ryanair for that sort of thing). I tried a few random cities nearby - there are awards on SWISS, for example (which is also pretty nice) and connecting to it will cost an extra $50 or so (which may be offset by lower taxes from another departure airport)
Old May 11, 2018, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

The direct flight is 70k miles. There is a connecting flight for 30k miles.

I'm not seeing any other good options at this point. I looked at all European direct flight cities that Chicago flys to, thinking maybe I'd do an independent quick connection out of Munich, but wasn't able to find any saver awards....
Old May 11, 2018, 5:29 pm

Depends on one's preferences, I guess - but IMO flying in J even with a few connections on, say, Austrian or SWISS is a lot better than flying non-stop in Y, in particular if it's a United Y.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Rookie question, but what is the difference between Y and J?
Old May 11, 2018, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Economy and Business
Old May 11, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by br2k
Depends on one's preferences, I guess - but IMO flying in J even with a few connections on, say, Austrian or SWISS is a lot better than flying non-stop in Y, in particular if it's a United Y.
Full disclosure: I don’t drink much, I’m pretty trim, I rarely recline while sitting, and I don’t use IFE. So the main daytime benefits from my perspective in J are the guarantee that a person of size won’t spill into your seat and a meal that’s about 10-20 bucks better. Nighttime flight is a different story.

Rookie question, but what is the difference between Y and J?
People just use Y as shorthand for economy and J for business. It’s just based on the booking codes the airline uses.
Old May 11, 2018, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by milypan

Full disclosure: I don’t drink much, I’m pretty trim, I rarely recline while sitting, and I don’t use IFE. So the main daytime benefits from my perspective in J are the guarantee that a person of size won’t spill into your seat and a meal that’s about 10-20 bucks better. Nighttime flight is a different story.

That could be me. I basically do not drink, I am not tall and fairly thin, so I fit just fine into any Y seat, and I mostly watch the moving map on IFE (unless they have movies in foreign languages I can use to practice).
That said, I still prefer flying J - mostly for the food (both on the plane and at various lounges) and the ability to recline. (And I say that as someone who flies Y TPAC a few times a year).
Old May 12, 2018, 12:40 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

If your waitlist clears and you had prchased E+ access, then your E+ access fee will be refunded.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ns-merged.html
Old May 18, 2018, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE! United called me today and said that my original saver award was accepted by LOT Polish Airlines. They asked if I still wanted that route and if so, they would refund my direct economy class ticket I purchased from Munich to Chicago. The mileage was the same (70k for both flights) so I only had to pay about $30 extra in taxes and fees. I am now ticketed in business class on the LOT Polish flight.

I'm much happier knowing that I have a confirmed business class ticket, however I am a bit concerned, as I was told that I could select my seat through LOT Polish Airlines' website. I logged into their website and was able to locate my flight, but there is nowhere for me to select my seat. So now I am worried that I am being ticketed in economy and not business. I will likely call LOT Polish Airlines to see how I can select my seat....
Old May 18, 2018, 3:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... I'm much happier knowing that I have a confirmed business class ticket, however I am a bit concerned, as I was told that I could select my seat through LOT Polish Airlines' website. I logged into their website and was able to locate my flight, but there is nowhere for me to select my seat. So now I am worried that I am being ticketed in economy and not business. I will likely call LOT Polish Airlines to see how I can select my seat....
Glad things worked out

To make seat assignments, you will need the LOT PNR
While the UA PNR may work on some partners, the general rule is the partner PNR is different.

To find this, look for "View additional confirmation numbers" on your UA reservation info online.
Occansionallyyou will have to call (UA or LOT) to get the PNR.

Record Locator/ PNR of Star Partners on UA purchased Itineraries

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-alliance.html
Old May 18, 2018, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I am a bit concerned, as I was told that I could select my seat through LOT Polish Airlines' website. I logged into their website and was able to locate my flight, but there is nowhere for me to select my seat. So now I am worried that I am being ticketed in economy and not business. I will likely call LOT Polish Airlines to see how I can select my seat....
Inability to select a seat is by itself not necessarily a sign of trouble, as LH Group's IT is overall pretty crappy, but it is always a good idea to confirm with the partner that your award ticket has actually ticketed, and calling for seat selection is a good way to do that ("Hi I just wanted to confirm that my flight has ticketed and see if I could select a seat.")

Pretty cool that UA actually called you and gave you a choice.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.