Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-200 Polaris/PremPlus seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of January 2021, all of United's 777-200ERs have been reconfigured with Polaris and Premium Plus. This version is known as "Version 1" in United's listing of aircraft (previously version 5).

If you're looking for information about the "High Density" HD) 777-200 configurations used primarily on domestic routes and some trans-Atlantic flights, this thread has it:
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-). There is one oddball, N222UA , 32J,124E+, 206E-

The 777-200 Polaris configuration has 50 Polaris business seats in the 1-2-1 configuration used in the 777-300, although with 3 fewer rows. Presumably much of the guidance regarding desirable/less desirable rows from the 777-300 seating thread applies to the 777-200 as well.

Rows 20-22 are the new United Premium Plus seats, in a 2-4-2 configuration. On many flights, UA is not yet selling premium plus as a separate cabin of service, and the seats are sold as E+ seats (though they are much better than standard E+).

Economy is in a 3-4-3 configuration, with 46 Economy+ seats and 156 regular E seats. Economy is using a new Rockwell Aspire seat, which supposedly is more comfortable than current seats (although less space than those used in the past 3-3-3 configuration). While under-seat power outlets are still shared (2 for 3, 3 for 4), the seat back monitors have USB sockets to allow device charging for each individual.

https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77e

Originally Posted by Agremeister
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but lots of good pictures of the new economy cabin:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/where-...d-772-economy/
Guide to Polaris Business Seats:
The center (D/G) seats are generally the same. The odd numbered rows have a larger divider between D and G that can be lowered, so are better for couples that want to interact. The even numbered rows have a smaller divider, so good for solos (or couples who don't really want to talk but to have the chance to). The odd-row seats are located towards the center, with the table towards the aisle. This provides somewhat more privacy than the even-row seats, where the seat is closer to the aisle, with the table towards the center of the plane.
The window (A/L) seats have greater variation. The even-numbered rows (mostly) have one window that requires looking past your table and the partition for other seats. The odd-numbered rows mostly have 2 or 3 windows that are easily accessed, in all cases with the seat right next to the window and the table area towards the aisle side.
* Rows 1, 11, and 15 have 3 windows
* Rows 3 and 5 have two windows
* Row 9 has two windows plus a blank panel for wiring
* Row 7 has a single window plus a blank panel for wiring; The window is the forward part, requiring you to lean forward
* Row 8 has a little more wall space because there's no seat behind it
* Row 12 has no window
Row 1 is adjacent to the galley area at the front of the plane, although the G/L side is closer (the A/D side has a corridor to the lav and cockpit.
9A/L are somewhat protected from the galley, but next to the lavs and across from closets. 9D/G are more fully protected from galley (by those closets) but also have the lav adjacent.
Guide to Premium Plus Seats
All three rows are similar, except the footrests in Row 20 come from under your own seat rather than the seat in front. All rows have 2 windows, although they are over the wing.

Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-200 Polaris/PremPlus seats

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2021, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Odd D/G seats are the only reasonable option to hold a conversation with another pax in Polaris.

Opinions differ; the smaller cabin could be somewhat more quiet (less lav traffic), or it could be noisier because it's closer to PE and Y. I would probably be found in Row 3 or Row 5 if I had a free pick.
bayareasfo9 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 6:41 pm

Thanks, I wish 3 or 5 were available but the available D/G options are 8,9,11,12.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 6:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bayareasfo9
Thanks, I wish 3 or 5 were available but the available D/G options are 8,9,11,12.
Avoid the even rows, the odd row D/G are not a great couples choice but it is the best offered in the true Polaris cabin
bayareasfo9 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Seat 7A

Seat 7A a decent window seat? The info says it has only one window and you have to lean forward in order to see out.

For my flight there are seats further back but they appear to be slightly more over the wing.

Thanks!
Old Nov 2, 2021, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by tstauck
Seat 7A a decent window seat? The info says it has only one window and you have to lean forward in order to see out.
Assuming 7L is similar to 7A, I thought it was fine. Would still prefer a row 3 or 5 window for example, but I could still see out looking forward and to the side out to about 45 deg without having to lean at all. If you want to look back towards the wing, you do have to lean forward quite a bit, but still doable.
tstauck likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
See also the window layout relative to the seat: https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77e

I generally agree with econ.
hurnik and tstauck like this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Wombat1
I have an overnight TATL on this aircraft several months in my future. Polaris cabin is lightly booked at the moment so I have lots of choice. I chose 1L as I'm 6'3" tall, with large feet (size 13), and I'm a side sleeper. I'd have preferred 1A due to the noise issue but it's a crew rest. Does anyone have thoughts on what might be better than 1L? I'm slightly bothered by the noise issue and my hope is to have dinner in the EWR Polaris lounge (assuming that its open when I fly) and maximize my sleeping time. TIA.
In a similar situation to you. Also chose 1L. Any additional insight you might have since your post?
Old Nov 26, 2021, 7:42 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Platinum
Originally Posted by a.tall.guy
In a similar situation to you. Also chose 1L. Any additional insight you might have since your post?
None, I'm afraid, so I'm going to stick with 1L.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 8:46 am

Premium Economy cabin has only 2 remaining seats... 20G and 20B (both bulkhead aisle seats)

I've never been in UA's Premium Economy on a 727-700. I'm tall with long legs. Is there any real difference in legroom between those two seats?

I'm guessing that 20G may be better because the person next to me in 20F can get out from the other side without disturbing me. 20A has to step over me a little to get out if I'm sleeping with my legs stretched out all the way... does that sound about right?

Come to think of it, is it possible to stretch my legs out all the way in 20G or 20B? I'm 6'3"....
Old Nov 26, 2021, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by HibernateNow
Premium Economy cabin has only 2 remaining seats... 20G and 20B (both bulkhead aisle seats)

I've never been in UA's Premium Economy on a 727-700. I'm tall with long legs. Is there any real difference in legroom between those two seats?

I'm guessing that 20G may be better because the person next to me in 20F can get out from the other side without disturbing me. 20A has to step over me a little to get out if I'm sleeping with my legs stretched out all the way... does that sound about right?

Come to think of it, is it possible to stretch my legs out all the way in 20G or 20B? I'm 6'3"....
20F would need to step over 20E and 20D, vs. stepping over 20G. All else being equal, there are no differences between 20B and 20G, with the exception 20A is closer to the window view.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
20F would need to step over 20E and 20D, vs. stepping over 20G. All else being equal, there are no differences between 20B and 20G, with the exception 20A is closer to the window view.
20DEF are currently occupied. 20G is open.

I figured that the only people who would book those 3 seats together must be a family or co-worker/friends?

That's why I'm guessing 20F will probably rather step over the 20D and 20E to get out, as opposed to stepping over me, a total stranger in 20G?

Or does that make no sense?
Old Nov 26, 2021, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by HibernateNow
20DEF are currently occupied. 20G is open.

I figured that the only people who would book those 3 seats together must be a family or co-worker/friends?

That's why I'm guessing 20F will probably rather step over the 20D and 20E to get out, as opposed to stepping over me, a total stranger in 20G?

Or does that make no sense?
Those three seats could be on one ticket, or not. Point being, it's easier to step over 1 person than 2.

Also, given the choice, I would rather step over a stranger than waking up not one, but two people in my party, but that's just me.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Just booked SFO-IAD on 777-200 in F. Options for seats are sort of slim['ash] - I'm in 4A right now. Also available is 12A or 15A. 6L also just seemed to pop up, as did 9D/G.

Any reason 15A (or any 12A/6L) would be a better bet? My understanding is the even numbered seats are pretty much the same, so went for the one up front. Is 15 any better for any reason (I always forget, since I'm rarely in wide body F - is it a little more 'private' from the aisle because the table is on the aisle side vs. toward the wall)? Traveling by myself, so I figure the A or L seats are better then the 'pairs' in the middle. I also forget how meal choice works anymore - I'm silver, so don't really expect to be high priority for choice, but does sitting closer to the front have any better priority in those terms? Looking for any opinions.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

15A is much more set off from the aisle and has more window space, although a lot of that is just engine. If you're not a window person, 9D/G isn't bad either as it's set in from the aisle and you can put up the divider if you don't want to talk to your seatmate.

We have our beautiful aeroLOPA now; you can see the exact dimensions and layout
emcampbe and United747 like this.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 4:58 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by findark
15A is much more set off from the aisle and has more window space, although a lot of that is just engine. If you're not a window person, 9D/G isn't bad either as it's set in from the aisle and you can put up the divider if you don't want to talk to your seatmate.

We have our beautiful aeroLOPA now; you can see the exact dimensions and layout
I’d take 15A as well, but I also think 9D/G are under rated
emcampbe likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.