FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-200 Polaris/PremPlus seats (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1907390-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-777-200-polaris-premplus-seats.html)

fl1ger May 3, 2018 4:53 am

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-200 Polaris/PremPlus seats

Moin!

After managing to avoid United 777-300 for a year after a miserable flight from Hongkong to San Francisco in the 3-4-3 economy it looks like United changed my flight on Saturday (FRA-IAD) to the only available Polaris reconfigured 777-200. Now I couldn't find a page with where to sit in this plane, as it is brand new, but I was hoping that some fellow Flyertalkers already had experienced that plane and can get seating advice. I'm currently in 27J (aisle in the right 3 seater section) hoping I can stretch the legs into business class like on the 787. As my final destination is Denver I'll also look into SDC options, but as I'm K class that might not happen. Anyway has anybody already experienced that bird and would mind share his experiences.

TIA and so long
-Ralf

Kmxu May 3, 2018 6:47 am

If you really hate this aircraft, call United to change to another flight ("schedule" change). Just emphasize the change of aircraft type as the reason. Good luck.

DetroitFlyer May 3, 2018 7:29 am

Aside from it being 3-4-3, this is the first place to feature brand new Rockwell Aspire coach seats. Supposed to be way more comfortable aside from the limited width.

fl1ger May 3, 2018 7:57 am

Moin!

Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer (Post 29710856)
Aside from it being 3-4-3, this is the first place to feature brand new Rockwell Aspire coach seats. Supposed to be way more comfortable aside from the limited width.

So what kind of seats do the 777-300 have? My problem was that the armrests constantly pressed against my body on the 777-300 which is something I never had before on any other aircraft (even the 787 which has the second worst economy seat). I doubt that this will be better in the 777-200.

So long
-Ralf

DetroitFlyer May 3, 2018 8:19 am

Originally Posted by fl1ger (Post 29710952)
Moin!

So what kind of seats do the 777-300 have? My problem was that the armrests constantly pressed against my body on the 777-300 which is something I never had before on any other aircraft (even the 787 which has the second worst economy seat). I doubt that this will be better in the 777-200.

So long
-Ralf

Not sure, but it's a different older generation seat.

Here's the link to the new 777-200 seats.
https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2018/0...ited-777-200s/

amtrakusa May 3, 2018 8:27 am

Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer (Post 29710856)

also it got an 11-inch monitor in coach. Supposedly higher definition than the ones they got on 77W.

so squeeze in more people, but give them huge monitors so people stare at TV all day so they forgot about they had half an inch less space on their bottom. Actually this is exactly what Emirate does. Im glad UA got it right on this one.

also the seat recline mechanism is slightly different, it is more of a cradle seat as you recline. you can google this feature.

itsMoe May 3, 2018 10:21 am

Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer (Post 29711034)
Not sure, but it's a different older generation seat.

Here's the link to the new 777-200 seats.
https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2018/0...ited-777-200s/

My main issue with the 77W seats, aside from their lack of width, was the call button in the armrest. What genius decided that that was a good idea? The FA calls kept going off the entire flight as people accidentally pressed them with their elbows.

lhrsfo May 3, 2018 11:30 am

I’ve been so careful to avoid these horror-show aircraft to date. Sadly, I don’t see any way of maintaining that!

StuckinITH May 3, 2018 11:43 am

Originally Posted by fl1ger (Post 29710391)
Moin!

After managing to avoid United 777-300 for a year after a miserable flight from Hongkong to San Francisco in the 3-4-3 economy it looks like United changed my flight on Saturday (FRA-IAD) to the only available Polaris reconfigured 777-200. Now I couldn't find a page with where to sit in this plane, as it is brand new, but I was hoping that some fellow Flyertalkers already had experienced that plane and can get seating advice. I'm currently in 27J (aisle in the right 3 seater section) hoping I can stretch the legs into business class like on the 787. As my final destination is Denver I'll also look into SDC options, but as I'm K class that might not happen. Anyway has anybody already experienced that bird and would mind share his experiences.

TIA and so long
-Ralf

I think that you have the best seat in E+ in that plane (the other one obviously is 27C). You'll have plenty of space in front of you for your legs as it's an aisle in the bulkhead.

That being said, I wish that my ORD-MUC in two weeks would get switched to this plane from the three class 772. Not only I have not been able to get my favorite bulkhead seat but it only has 40 Polaris Business seats (still waitlisted for the miles + copay). Your plane has 50 Polaris Business seats. Maybe they would offer a good TOD as there are still plenty of seats unsold.

The other thing is that you need to keep checking the seat map as they may switch back to your original plane and you don't want to suddenly find yourself in a middle seat. UA is not good as keeping you in an aisle seat when they switch planes back and forth.

PS: I felt the need to google "moin!". Hello to you too!

LangerhansCellHistiocytosis May 3, 2018 2:15 pm

if it's anything like the 77w 9A and 9L should still be a solid bet.

StuckinITH May 3, 2018 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by eric.chen3742 (Post 29712399)
if it's anything like the 77w 9A and 9L should still be a solid bet.

Yes, but the OP is in Economy + on a K fare so not waitlisted with a GPU for the upgrade. OP did not mention if there's a miles + copay waitlisted but that would be something that would have been mentioned. Maybe OP would consider a TOD if the price is reasonable.

Even with an upgrade, 9A and 9L are already occupied. The best seats still available in Polaris Business on that flight, I think, are 3A and 5A.

LangerhansCellHistiocytosis May 3, 2018 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH (Post 29712599)
Yes, but the OP is in Economy + on a K fare so not waitlisted with a GPU for the upgrade. OP did not mention if there's a miles + copay waitlisted but that would be something that would have been mentioned. Maybe OP would consider a TOD if the price is reasonable.

Even with an upgrade, 9A and 9L are already occupied. The best seats still available in Polaris Business on that flight, I think, are 3A and 5A.

d'oh. serves me right for not reading.

fl1ger May 4, 2018 1:14 am

Moin!

Originally Posted by StuckinITH (Post 29712599)

Any Polaris seat is better then seating in these dense economy seats. I'd happily would do miles and copay or buyup at a reasonable price, but none of those are available at the moment. I see if they offer me something on checkin, but I doubt it. I'm hoping they offer me reasonable other SDC routing so that I can get away from this plane.

So long
-Ralf

StuckinITH May 4, 2018 4:55 am

Originally Posted by fl1ger (Post 29714078)
Moin!

Any Polaris seat is better then seating in these dense economy seats. I'd happily would do miles and copay or buyup at a reasonable price, but none of those are available at the moment. I see if they offer me something on checkin, but I doubt it. I'm hoping they offer me reasonable other SDC routing so that I can get away from this plane.

So long
-Ralf

I think you have good chances of being offered a TOD. Good luck!

Question: You did not waitlist a miles and copay because it would not clear immediately or did you feel that you did not need to do it in the other configuration?

When I purchased my ORD-MUC-ORD trip, I waitlisted miles and copay at the time of purchase. MUC-ORD cleared one month later, a month and a half before the flight. ORD-MUC has not cleared yet and most probably will not clear before check-in so I will also be looking for a TOD.

Agremeister May 5, 2018 12:43 am

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but lots of good pictures of the new economy cabin:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/where-...d-772-economy/