Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

HELP! JetStar leg on United ticket massively delayed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HELP! JetStar leg on United ticket massively delayed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
Jetstar is well known in Australia for it's unreliability.
Regular fliers, especially those with 'appointments' avoid them when ever they can and, if they can't, giving a 24 hour buffer is always advisable.
I see UA using them on USA to NZ via Australia a lot. Always makes me cringe. Now I see an example here of what can happen.
if I ended up with a booking from UA that included Jetstar legs I would immediately opt for a change. Maybe those in foreign parts however are not aware of the perils of such an itinerary.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I've used screenshots of flight status from UAs app as proof of delay and reroutes for Chase insurance coverage. Just be sure to take shots each time something changes so you have proof before the status/route changes again.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Wow, it's good to learn all this at someone else's expense (sorry OP). Does Jetstar ever codeshare with QF? For future reference, if I have a QF flight number, can I be sure it won't be operated by Jetstar?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Wow, it's good to learn all this at someone else's expense (sorry OP). Does Jetstar ever codeshare with QF? For future reference, if I have a QF flight number, can I be sure it won't be operated by Jetstar?
The operating carrier is disclosed during the purchase process -- for flights to/from the US or US carriers, it's actually a DOT requirement. So, even if it is a QF flight number, it would say "Operated by Jetstar" if this were the case. (I don't actually know if they codeshare or not).

A change in operating carrier is grounds for a re-route or refund, so if you buy a ticket that doesn't have a Jetstar segment, and then you get a schedule change where it does, you can call and get that corrected.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Does Jetstar ever codeshare with QF? For future reference, if I have a QF flight number, can I be sure it won't be operated by Jetstar?
Yes, although a lot less than they use to. I think it's only on international routes now days, but I could be wrong.

For example, QF284 HNL-SYD is actually JQ4.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For proof, some carriers have a simple form which you populate with your PNR or e-ticket number + name and the date of travel and the system will generate a PDF which provides scheduled and actual times.

However, more often, the larger insurers all simply check this information online and don't bother with demanding extra paperwork.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
For proof, some carriers have a simple form which you populate with your PNR or e-ticket number + name and the date of travel and the system will generate a PDF which provides scheduled and actual times.

However, more often, the larger insurers all simply check this information online and don't bother with demanding extra paperwork.
Chase's insurance provider definitely wants a statement of delay (which must include the cause of the delay).

Lots of reports and anecdata:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...-comments.html
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Getting proof of the delay was the one area where JetStar was shockingly solid. Upon request, they immediately gave us a letter stating the original time, the delayed time and the reason.

It got even worse, however, upon arrival in Sydney. It appears that in the 9 hours checked bags sat on the ground in CHC, JQ failed to take the "International Transfer" tags off of them or new tags on to make sure they came out in Sydney for everyone's forced overnight layover. A group of roughly 25 of us searched for a JQ or associated employee in between immigration and customs in SYD trying to find someone who could help us find our bags. Finally, a non-JQ-related good samaritan took up the case and tracked down the bags. Pretty atrocious as JQ told everyone the bags would come out on the belt in SYD.

Also, while we already had an Australian visa from previous travel there, JQ was trying to get delayed customers to purchase visas at their cost ($180 on the spot) due to JQ's delay. Definitely made a bad situation worse for a lot of passengers.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:04 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
For future travelers referencing this thread, Jetstar is terrible. Many friends of mine have experienced such delays where their philosophy seems to be "yeah, deal with it". One feels lucky even to get a delay notification with them. JQ = the worst of Frontier, Ryanair, Allegiant, etc... They typically have 1 plane available to serve the route and if things go wrong, well then they're not going to be spending $ to get you where you need to go faster.

Take Air Asia if you need to be cheap, or one of the full service carriers. You will likely spoil your fun-loving, cheery perceptions of Australians and your good feelings about your vacation if you fly with Jetstar.
JVPhoto likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Aknoff
Also, while we already had an Australian visa from previous travel there, JQ was trying to get delayed customers to purchase visas at their cost ($180 on the spot) due to JQ's delay. Definitely made a bad situation worse for a lot of passengers.
I thought an e-visa for Australia for USA citizens and others (ETA) was $20 AUD.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I thought an e-visa for Australia for USA citizens and others (ETA) was $20 AUD.
Not exactly sure where they were all from but overhead them fighting to get JQ to pay for it. Also not sure if needing to acquire it day of changed what was possible.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Aknoff

Not exactly sure where they were all from but overhead them fighting to get JQ to pay for it. Also not sure if needing to acquire it day of changed what was possible.
Nope! For future reference you can apply online for ~20AUD and most are approved at least for US citizens in about 1-2 minutes max.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
If you apply for it directly with the Australian government, it is.

If you go through a third party (including an airline), what they charge is up to them.

The fact Jetstar charges $180 doesn't surprise me. They fact they are trying to charge that after a 9 hour delay is well beyond unacceptable.
Old May 3, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by KarenH
I live in regional Australia. Last year I booked a United ticket from CNS->SEA. United put me on Jetstar for the CNS<->SYD segments. I do not like Jetstar. There is nothing but economy class, and passengers are not treated with consideration. For example upon return, I had about a 6 hour wait in Sydney for the Jetstar flight. Jetstar refused to check my bag until 2 hours before the flight. So I had a very uncomfortable wait in the terminal before I could check my bag. It is possible that I could have found a nicer place to wait but I was tired, and had the single goal of getting on that Jetstar flight in mind. There are not enough plastic chairs so many other people waiting were sitting on the floor. This must be a normal situation. I was not impressed.
I have to travel to Sydney every few months, and I now fly Virgin. I am treated much better, especially when I score the upgrade with my bid. And the next flight to the US, I will separately buy the CNS<->SYD segment on Virgin, even though it will cost me more.
I know Jetstar has a bad rep. However, we have flown United several times IAD-NRT, then on a separate ticket NRT-CNS in business on Jetstar's 787. Reasonably comfortable and never a problem, but of course you never know. You may want to consider Jetstar CNS-NRT, and then United to any of several US destinations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.