Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

HELP! JetStar leg on United ticket massively delayed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HELP! JetStar leg on United ticket massively delayed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Often1
Having said all of this, there is no reason why UA is prohibited from rerouting here. It is worth one more call back to UA asking if it can help, providing the specific flights and explaining that JetStar is being unhelpful and lacks interline ticketing agreements. Don't suggest that UA has fallen down here in any way both because it is unhelpful and is not true.
I agree. While UA is not obligated to help, they could and it's worth a polite ask if NZ via AKL is a better option.

I just looked it up and JQ has basically no local interline agreements: nothing with NZ, VA, or QF
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Having said all of this, there is no reason why UA is prohibited from rerouting here. It is worth one more call back to UA asking if it can help, providing the specific flights and explaining that JetStar is being unhelpful and lacks interline ticketing agreements. Don't suggest that UA has fallen down here in any way both because it is unhelpful and is not true.
That's what I was thinking:
1. Traveller has a ticket CHC-DEN (via SYD & SFO)
2. Traveller is here (CHC)
3. Traveller wants to get to there (DEN)
4. Throwing oneself on the mercy of United (because we know Jet* will do nothing) to see if there is anything that can be done.

The toll free number in NZ was appropriately: 800 747 400
(not sure if that is still current)

Last edited by Aspen; Apr 26, 2018 at 2:29 pm
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

All United was able to do was confirm us (and our cleared upgrade) for SYD-IAH-DEN tomorrow. I worked my way up United to a supervisor and she drew a line in the sand and said unless JQ was willing to pay for it, there was no other way to get to SYD to make our SYD-SFO flight. Lesson learned - the hard way.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Aknoff
All United was able to do was confirm us (and our cleared upgrade) for SYD-IAH-DEN tomorrow. I worked my way up United to a supervisor and she drew a line in the sand and said unless JQ was willing to pay for it, there was no other way to get to SYD to make our SYD-SFO flight. Lesson learned - the hard way.
You've done well with confirmed upgrades on a SYD-USA flight on a Saturday, unless you wanted to fly in E on Air NZ and pay $2,000USD* per passenger I think you should be OK, and happy, with this outcome.

*actually .com is showing a one way fare CHC-DEN for $1128USD and J for $3706USD for today.

Would it be possible for any sort of refund on the unused portions of the OP's ticket as a trip in vain ?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I think UA did you a solid by rebooking you at least from from SYD to DEN AND keeping your upgrade. Per IATA resolution, it would have been up to JQ to figure out how to get you to DEN from CHC.
united78 and findark like this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by findark
I just looked it up and JQ has basically no local interline agreements: nothing with NZ, VA, or QF
JQ absolutely has interline agreements with QF (and UA), and the two even have codeshares on some routes.

Originally Posted by mr8
Isn't Jetstar part of Qantas? See if they can put you on a Qantas flight to make your connection.
JQ is owned by Qantas, but only use that fact when it's beneficial to them and not for the customer. As a general rule, they will not rebook onto QF, and will claim they can not do so, claiming they are a completely independent entity.
But the moment something goes wrong, such as a maintenance issue, they will happily claim they are a part of Qantas, and rely on the brand and Qantas's record as a way of taking the focus off their issues...
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Aspen
Would it be possible for any sort of refund on the unused portions of the OP's ticket as a trip in vain ?
No, this is not in any way a trip in vain.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by docbert
JQ absolutely has interline agreements with QF (and UA), and the two even have codeshares on some routes.
It's a one-way street. QF can push tickets to JQ (and may codeshare onto them for all I know), but JQ does not have similar privileges:

JQ:
Code:
   MAY ISSUE TICKETS INCLUDING
       BA  CX  ET  HA  JJ  KA  LH  MH  QV  TN  UA  W2          

MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
       BA  CX  ET  HA  JJ  KA  LH  LX  MH  QV  TN  UA  W2
QF:
Code:
   MAY ISSUE TICKETS INCLUDING
       AA  AC  AE  AF  AH  AI  AM  AS  AT  AV  AX  AY  AZ  A3  
       BA  BD  BE  BG  BI  BL  BP  BR  BW  CA  CI  CJ  CL  CM  
       CX  CZ  DL  EI  EK  ET  EW  EY  FI  FJ  FM  FZ  GA  GF  
       GK  G3  HA  HG  HM  HU  HX  HY  IB  IC  IE  IG  JC  JJ  
       JL  JO  JP  JQ  KA  KC  KE  KL  KM  KQ  KU  K6  LA  LG  
       LH  LO  LP  LR  LX  LY  MF  MH  MI  MK  MR  MS  MU  NF  
       NH  NU  NX  NZ  OA  OK  OM  OS  OT  OU  OZ  PG  PK  PR  
       PX  PZ  QF  QR  QV  RA  RJ  RO  SA  SB  SK  SN  SQ  SU  
       SV  SW  S7  TA  TG  TK  TL  TN  TP  UA  UK  UL  UU  VN  
       VS  VT  VX  WS  WY  XL  YM  2A  3K  4M  4Q  8M  9B  9W  

MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
       AA  AC  AE  AF  AH  AI  AS  AT  AV  AX  AY  AZ  A3  BA  
       BD  BE  BG  BI  BL  BP  BR  BW  CA  CI  CJ  CL  CM  CX  
       CZ  DL  EI  EK  ET  EW  EY  FI  FJ  FM  FZ  GA  GF  GK  
       G3  HA  HG  HM  HU  HX  HY  IB  IC  IE  IG  JC  JJ  JL  
       JO  JP  JQ  KA  KC  KE  KL  KM  KQ  KU  K6  LA  LH  LO  
       LP  LR  LX  LY  ME  MF  MH  MI  MK  MR  MS  MU  NF  NH  
       NU  NX  NZ  OA  OK  OM  OS  OT  OU  OZ  PG  PK  PR  PX  
       PZ  QF  QR  QV  RA  RO  SA  SB  SK  SN  SQ  SU  SV  SW  
       S7  TA  TG  TK  TL  TN  TP  UA  UK  UL  UU  VN  VS  VX  
       WS  WY  XL  YM  2A  3K  4M  4Q  8M  9W
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Aspen
*actually .com is showing a one way fare CHC-DEN for $1128USD and J for $3706USD for today.
US$852 if booked directly with NZ.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
That’s the point, I didn’t book an LCC, I booked United. Surely there’s an answer here outside of wait 24 hours...
Yes, you did. How can you possibly say you didn't book a flight on a Jetstar plane??? For future travel, keep in mind that this is an industry practice. An airline (acting as an agent, not the operator), may sell you a ticket on other airlines. The operator of the flight causing a disruption in the itinerary is responsible for getting you the rest of the way (or to a planned stopover point).

Sounds great that UA had room for you up front on the return...
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - For what it is worth, it took me <1 minute to pull from the Jetstar website with which it expressly states that it has an interline ticket agreement. I went through and pulled air carriers which do not operate anywhere in the region at all. However, for your purposes, it most certainly does interline with QF (bolded in red below). If you are in a position to do so, I would find the reference on the Jetstar website and print the list just in case you need it.

Just chalk this one up. Jetstar could care less about you and your hotel and meals will likely be covered by your travel interruption insurance.

American Airlines (AA)
Air India (AI)
Air Pacific (FJ)
Air Tahiti Nui (TN)
Air Vanuatu (NF)
British Airways (BA)
Cathay Pacific (CX)
China Eastern (MU)
China Southern (CZ)
Dragon Air (KA)
Delta Air Lines (DL)
Emirates (EK)
Etihad (EY)
Finnair (AY)
Japan Airlines (JL)
Jet Airways (9W)
KLM (KL)
Lufthansa (LH)
Malaysian Airlines (MH)
Qantas (QF)
Qatar Airways (QR)
Shanghai Airlines (FM)
SriLankan (UL)
Swiss (LX)
United (UA)
Vietnam Airlines (VN)
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Have that proof in hand. Any other tips for making the Chase claim easier? Thanks.
just for my future reference, what exactly do airlines give as proof of delay (for travel insurance purposes)? is this something common that can be printed on the spot at the gate?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 26, 2018 at 4:13 pm Reason: Moderator error
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by riphamilton
just for my future reference, what exactly do airlines give as proof of delay (for travel insurance purposes)? is this something common that can be printed on the spot at the gate?
for UA operated flights (from wiki of Consolidated delayed/cancelled international flights (2018))
If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.
riphamilton likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:27 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Have that proof in hand. Any other tips for making the Chase claim easier? Thanks.
Keep track of all your expenses and all receipts.
Originally Posted by riphamilton
I've had several misconnects on UA due to mechanical issues, but was usually automatically rebooked (one time in fare class F). The only time I've needed proof of delay was when I missed the last flight in NRT on two separate PNRs and had to stay overnight, but UA agents in Japan were waiting at the baggage claim area handing out a piece of paper that just said UA7 was delayed due to mechanical issues. I was able to use that paper when I did my chase claim. I've never seen them hand out papers in the US though.
riphamilton likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM
I live in regional Australia. Last year I booked a United ticket from CNS->SEA. United put me on Jetstar for the CNS<->SYD segments. I do not like Jetstar. There is nothing but economy class, and passengers are not treated with consideration. For example upon return, I had about a 6 hour wait in Sydney for the Jetstar flight. Jetstar refused to check my bag until 2 hours before the flight. So I had a very uncomfortable wait in the terminal before I could check my bag. It is possible that I could have found a nicer place to wait but I was tired, and had the single goal of getting on that Jetstar flight in mind. There are not enough plastic chairs so many other people waiting were sitting on the floor. This must be a normal situation. I was not impressed.
I have to travel to Sydney every few months, and I now fly Virgin. I am treated much better, especially when I score the upgrade with my bid. And the next flight to the US, I will separately buy the CNS<->SYD segment on Virgin, even though it will cost me more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.