Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Channel 9 availability reports (no discussion)[Consoldidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JALsnipe
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Channel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
: td : Channel 9 not offered on this flight.
Please postings to status reports of availability -- and use the thread below to discuss the general topic.

2) A discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability. (See the previous paragraph. if you merely wish to list the flights offering or not offering channel 9.)
Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

3) A thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology. The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

The following aircraft types have "From the Flight Deck" installed (commonly known as "Channel 9," as that's the location it is found on audio handset selectors):
pmUA 777-200ERs
pmCO 777-200ERs
pmUA 777-300ERs
pmUA 777-200As (high density, first class only)
pmUA 767-300ERs
pmCO 767-400ERs
pmUA 757-200 (28J p.s.)
pmCO 757-200 (16 p.s.) -- To be retrofitted with cabin refresh per Oct 2019 announcement

[pmUA A320 and A319 aircraft have had it removed. It is not installed on any 737s, 787s, nor pre-2019/2020 refresh pmCO 757-200s (16J p.s.) or pmCO 757-300s.]

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Archived posts in Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Channel 9 availability reports (no discussion)[Consoldidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: UA 1MM
31JUL UA493 EWR-LAX 757 ^ gate to gate
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
25-Aug UA433 BOS-SFO, sUA757 (28J) ^
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
19-Aug UA 2827 ZRH-EWR, 767-400 - worked gate to gate
onthesam likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Gold
August 17 EWR - TLV (UA90 77W) .

Walked up to the 1L door (was sitting in the front cabin) and asked the flight attendant if they'd mind asking the cockpit crew to turn on the 'Front the Flight Deck' feed. Got a blank look, so explained what it was. (And I figured I'd ask for it like that instead of as channel 9 to hopefully skip the explanation step.)

It was a younger guy who had no idea what I was talking about, he asked an older flight attendant and she told him just to go poke his head into the cockpit and ask them, which seemed to make him nervous. We were standing by 1L and the cockpit door was open, I half-jokingly told him I was happy to ask but I wasn't sure if I was allowed to, he looked at me like I had six heads and asked then captain for me, while I waited for a moment still by 1L.

Captain told him it was already on, then paused and said "oh no, it's actually broken, sorry". Captain saw me and said it mostly to me. I said thank you to everyone and went back to my seat. Not sure if it really was broken, but I checked it a few times through the flight and there was silence on the channel. Or do they not turn it on for Israel-bound flights? I was trying very hard to not end up on some list.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by zspitzer

Walked up to the 1L door (was sitting in the front cabin) and asked the flight attendant if they'd mind asking the cockpit crew to turn on the 'Front the Flight Deck' feed. Got a blank look, so explained what it was. (And I figured I'd ask for it like that instead of as channel 9 to hopefully skip the explanation step.)

It was a younger guy who had no idea what I was talking about, he asked an older flight attendant and she told him just to go poke his head into the cockpit and ask them, which seemed to make him nervous. We were standing by 1L and the cockpit door was open, I half-jokingly told him I was happy to ask but I wasn't sure if I was allowed to, he looked at me like I had six heads and asked then captain for me, while I waited for a moment still by 1L.

Captain told him it was already on, then paused and said "oh no, it's actually broken, sorry". Captain saw me and said it mostly to me. I said thank you to everyone and went back to my seat. Not sure if it really was broken, but I checked it a few times through the flight and there was silence on the channel. Or do they not turn it on for Israel-bound flights? I was trying very hard to not end up on some list.
"Broken" is a pilot's easy way to say "I don't want it on."
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:34 am

26-Aug UA2396 SFO-BOS sUA 752 ^
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by zspitzer

I would say that half the times we fly Polaris and enter through the first door, we see the captain in the galley so we can ask directly. If not, we have to ask the FA: half the times, the FA tells my wife to go close to the cockpit and ask directly, half the times the FA does the asking. Result is about 50% yes, 50% no.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold
August 26 UA135 ZRH - EWR (B764) ^

Asked a flight attendant, which I thought went well until a different flight attendant came over trying to troubleshoot video not playing on my screen. Explained to the second flight attendant, who said he'd go ask the cockpit crew, then came back and told me they said they turned it on. Checked and it was indeed on gate to gate. Surprisingly interesting to listen to the unicom frequency across the north atlantic.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:39 pm

27-Aug UA351 BOS-SFO sUA 752 ^^ including a nice pre-flight announcement from the captain.
Third transcon in a week with Ch 9.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 2:10 pm

03-Sep UA1865 SFO-BOS sUA752 ^
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
31-Aug UA340 IAD-SFO sUA 772 3 class aircraft!

David
Old Sep 6, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
August 31 UA960 EWR-FRA (777) ^
Sep 5 UA961 FRA-EWR (777)
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Sep 6 UA637 EWR--SFO (777). On gate to gate.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA
8/29
UA 869
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:52 pm

16-Sep UA1865 SFO-BOS sUA 752 ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.