Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Brenda and her lies (1k phone agent not being forthcoming)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brenda and her lies (1k phone agent not being forthcoming)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: mileage plus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
UAL 1K agents are solid though I agree there are times when many avoid going above and beyond if you have more than the most basic of questions. I get the attitude or unwillingness I hang up and call again, which I should not have to and adds frustration but at least i get the results.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
You people who keep chanting "if you want an upgrade, just buy it!" are apparently unfamiliar with frequent flyer programs (easily half the reason why FlyerTalk exists in the first place). Read the various wiki threads and see how people upgrade instead of spending thou$ands of dollars on the same tickets.
Apparently you're unfamiliar with how COMPLIMENTARY Upgrades work.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
You people who keep chanting "if you want an upgrade, just buy it!" are apparently unfamiliar with frequent flyer programs (easily half the reason why FlyerTalk exists in the first place). Read the various wiki threads and see how people upgrade instead of spending thou$ands of dollars on the same tickets.
Um, you can upgrade into confirmed space and save $000s. If there’s no confirmed space and you still want to cheap out and use your upgrade, you take a risk. Don't cry when it doesn’t work in your favor. Obviously plenty of others are buying first class, you can too!
As they say in Atlanta, WFBF - want first, buy first.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:36 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What's the basis for allegations of abuse and intimidation here? The OP was just trying to ask some questions.
allegations, it was the OP who is calling Brenda a liar at least 3 times, strong allegations, even after he now knows she was simply following UA policy. Being on the 1K desk is stressful enough as it is without being badgered about a free upgrade. Give the poor woman a break. The OP wants her retrained, or likely worse, over his displeasure of not receiving a free CPU. This is way out of balance and inappropriate, IMHO.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Brenda was doing her job by not disclosing information but clearly was being unhelpful. It's her job to help PAX and figure ways to keep them happy.

OP OTOH shouldn't expect upgrades this day in age. The old days of upgrades are pretty much gone.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
It's her job to help PAX and figure ways to keep them happy.
I highly doubt "Brenda's" job description contain the word "help" (perhaps assist) or contains the word "happy".
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Brenda was doing her job by not disclosing information but clearly was being unhelpful. It's her job to help PAX and figure ways to keep them happy.
Woah there. It is not ANY UA's agents job to "figure [out] ways to keep them (passengers) happy". No. Just No. Not even close. People will inherently take advantage of this if it were true. "I'm only happy if you get me onto this flight in business". "I'll be happy if you waive all my change fees". "I'll be happy if you let me skip the first leg of my 2 leg intl trip so I can save 2K".
AugustusM likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I highly doubt "Brenda's" job description contain the word "help" (perhaps assist) or contains the word "happy".
Than I should rephrase to, assist customers to the best of there ability. Brenda seemed like an agent that was trying to get OP off the phone based on lie #2 & 3.

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Woah there. It is not ANY UA's agents job to "figure [out] ways to keep them (passengers) happy". No. Just No. Not even close. People will inherently take advantage of this if it were true. "I'm only happy if you get me onto this flight in business". "I'll be happy if you waive all my change fees". "I'll be happy if you let me skip the first leg of my 2 leg intl trip so I can save 2K".
This reminded me of Gregg Popovich's interview on the word "happy". I agree.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Brenda seemed like an agent that was trying to get OP off the phone based on lie #2 & 3.
No, "Brenda" probably realized she couldn't spend all day (or night) with this person and tried her best to move on to the next customer to "assist".

Sometimes you deal in customer service unrealistic expectations and you have to try your best with an exit plan.
narvik likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:52 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC

This reminded me of Gregg Popovich's interview on the word "happy". I agree.
I also agree with Gregg Popovich on the word happy, how do you measure it. It is not the job of a 1K, or even a GS phone agent to make customers happy, professional, courteous and accurate, yes. I'm never happy unless I buy a cheap ticket, get a free upgrade, the food is good, the staff is charming and the flight arrives early, even then I may be having a bad day. I don't envy any of the airline staff, air travel has grown to the point that we're all part of the herd of people grinding through the system. Unfortunately too many travelers seem to feel that it's a luxury experience (it's not) or that somehow they are special (they are not, nor am I). I've been guilty of the latter on occasion but I have mellowed somewhat and now try and do a better job of appreciating the folks who try their best an make the system work. Some airports today have to process 30M or 40M passengers a year, these are staggering numbers. I have found that being understanding works best, if I get a clueless agent, I simply politely end the call and try someone new. I frequently see first class passengers, who don't fly much, grumble when the GS folks pre-board, so in reality nobody is really happy, Gregg know what he's talking about.

The frequent traveler can take steps to make his/her life a little easier, get TSA-Pre, Global Entry and an APEC card. Join Priority Pass and/or get Gold status on Star Alliance for better lounge access. Just don't expect something for nothing but be delighted when and if it happens.
sinoflyer, narvik, pnt1 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:23 am

Even outsourced agents have the duty to keep information confidential.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Being #3 and #4 referred to the first flight (non-stop)

Beleive the 21 Non-rev comment referred to the flight option connecting vis DEN
Correct. The #1 through #4 being referred to is the original non-stop ORD flight. The 21 non-revs was the alternate DEN flight as a connection to ORD. The 4 revs waitlisted had already cleared with no more revs left waiting on upgrade list.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 18, 2018 at 1:19 am Reason: discuss the issue;not the poster(s)
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: United 1k
Originally Posted by Montreal
Her demeanor was obvious on the phone that's why I didn't confront her on the ORD flight not being sold out, and just wanted to hang up quickly so I could speak to a more helpful agent in person.
Now I know why there's a long queue when I called 1K line. Everyone wants to get upgraded of course. But I would rather keep the 1K line or gate agent clear for real travel emergency. I do not want to see all 1K members calling 1K line all the time to ask agents to spend enormous amount of time to get upgraded. Upgrades are benefits, not a privilege. Don't get me wrong, I do not like the way United treated its customers, but I do have to stand on Brenda's side.
COSPILOT likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
No, "Brenda" probably realized she couldn't spend all day (or night) with this person and tried her best to move on to the next customer to "assist".

Sometimes you deal in customer service unrealistic expectations and you have to try your best with an exit plan.
Too early for Brenda to assume that. Lie #3 is a valid way to assist a customer. Anything after sure.

Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
I also agree with Gregg Popovich on the word happy, how do you measure it. It is not the job of a 1K, or even a GS phone agent to make customers happy, professional, courteous and accurate, yes. I'm never happy unless I buy a cheap ticket, get a free upgrade, the food is good, the staff is charming and the flight arrives early, even then I may be having a bad day. I don't envy any of the airline staff, air travel has grown to the point that we're all part of the herd of people grinding through the system. Unfortunately too many travelers seem to feel that it's a luxury experience (it's not) or that somehow they are special (they are not, nor am I). I've been guilty of the latter on occasion but I have mellowed somewhat and now try and do a better job of appreciating the folks who try their best an make the system work. Some airports today have to process 30M or 40M passengers a year, these are staggering numbers. I have found that being understanding works best, if I get a clueless agent, I simply politely end the call and try someone new. I frequently see first class passengers, who don't fly much, grumble when the GS folks pre-board, so in reality nobody is really happy, Gregg know what he's talking about.

The frequent traveler can take steps to make his/her life a little easier, get TSA-Pre, Global Entry and an APEC card. Join Priority Pass and/or get Gold status on Star Alliance for better lounge access. Just don't expect something for nothing but be delighted when and if it happens.
Speaking of Gregg, we mourn for his loss now as well.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
I've had Brenda before too. Believe me, she's quite some liar. Never seen somebody lie so much!

She lies about flight inventory, she lies about SDC's, she lies about award redeposit rules. She even lies about lying!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.