Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does anybody else feel like it’s a little harsh in here...?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anybody else feel like it’s a little harsh in here...?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:55 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I'll be a contrarian, and say that today's tone is LESS snarky than it used to be years ago, at least here in UA forum where I spend most of my time.

And sadly dry sense of humor is lost on many Americans who don't understand it and misinterpret it.

As to the devaluation of ALL airline programs, well, many of us still gripe about that ....

And yes, I'm one of those who during my 1K years would fly 4 longhaul trips to Asia every year only to have at least one leg delayed by a mechanical for a day or so
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cruisr

Yes but even the gripes are so brilliantly witty and that wonderful dry sense of humor makes the snark so utterly enjoyable for one to read. I now start my daily reading of FT at the BA forum whilst sipping a good cuppa English Breakfast Tea.
The Parsnips thread was brilliant.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:12 pm

I love the stories on air travel that are written here, even the snarkey ones.

I must be one of those odd characters that enjoy reading the great stories written here about the DYKWIA's and seat poachers and Gate Attendants....etc. I am alway amazed at how some passengers behave on board a plane.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomMM
The Parsnips thread was brilliant.
I had to search, and what a delight.

For the (other) uninitiated:
What be this foul thing before me?
onthesam and princeville like this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:13 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
I had to search, and what a delight.

For the (other) uninitiated:
What be this foul thing before me?
Thanks ^

Hillarious

And lost on most Americans
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Which is funny, because the airlines are giving customers exactly what they've shown to want: A race to the bottom.
I do not think what the market wants is what people want. People take what they can get.
I am sure everybody "wants" to have an easy stressful life, but almost nobody works towards that goal.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by zrs70
In my early days of FT, the threads had a much different tone. People came here to share tricks of the trade - all within the terms and conditions of the mileage rules.

We sought ways to maximize miles.
We looked for ways to earn additional miles.
We shared methods to stretch the use of every upgrade coupon.
We opened doors to lesser known passenger rights.

Yes, we griped about things as well.

But the general tone was, "Let's see how we can work WITH United to make flying great." Often, now, it seem like, "United sucks. Let's screw them the way they screw us."

As I have maintained in FT... I've never faced the horror stories others have. And perhaps I have too much of the happiness gene. But I still find flying a pleasure, whether in coach or f, whether the meal is good or bad. I smile when I see the FA, I help when a passenger can't lift a bag, and I don't join the cacophony of voices that often complain when there is a delay.

It makes a difference when traveling.
It makes a difference on FT.
It makes a difference in life.
This is all so true. I miss the old days.
am1108 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I do not think what the market wants is what people want. People take what they can get.
Well, people want first-class treatment at Spirit prices. But when push comes to shove, despite all of the complaining, the mass of airline customers choose lower prices almost every time. That's how we've gotten to this point.

Passenger: "Flying is awful! They pack us in there like sardines!"

United: "For an extra $15, you can sit in Economy Plus."

Passenger: "No, thanks."
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:55 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Hi folks, there are travel forums out there that are much more snarky with "insider circles" that won't react friendly to a new visitor posting a question that has been asked months before but is not visible on the first page. But IMO we're going into that direction fast.

Why is the tone in an internet forum so different from when we're meeting up for a DO somewhere in person. Why do we lose good manners so fast in a discussion about some (increasingly worthless) bonus miles?

It would be great to stop this trend and once again become the friendly corner of the web.

Love you all... ;-)
muji and am1108 like this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
Hi folks, there are travel forums out there that are much more snarky with "insider circles" that won't react friendly to a new visitor posting a question that has been asked months before but is not visible on the first page. But IMO we're going into that direction fast.
IMO we're not going that direction fast enough. It is the height of laziness for someone to not put the bare minimum effort into searching before posting a question, and that behavior is coddled and encouraged here in the spirit of being welcoming.

Yea, that's the FT rules, no doubt. And as they enforce it we'll continue to see the loss of posters with a clue, in favor of noobs who aren't even trying. It's the greater number of uniques the owners want, for commercial reasons regardless of the quality of the forum.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
You are just seeing the mirror-image of society.
I blame the overall tone of snarkiness in the world on the general pessimism/malaise and growing polarization of all themes/thoughts/opinions in society. What we are seeing is the bleed-through here and in other internet forums. World ain't like what it used to be.

Last edited by NH_Clark; Apr 12, 2018 at 6:32 am
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by zrs70
In my early days of FT, the threads had a much different tone. People came here to share tricks of the trade - all within the terms and conditions of the mileage rules.

...the general tone was, "Let's see how we can work WITH United to make flying great." Often, now, it seem like, "United sucks. Let's screw them the way they screw us."
I've been around about as long as zrs70 and can confirm. The notable tone shift on FT -- from generous and supportive to harsh and, dare I say it, selfish -- coincides with the dilution of FF programs. It's all about human reactions to scarcity. The scarcer and scrawnier the benefits, the more inclined one is to hoard them for oneself.

When Mileage Plus was devalued post-merger in a way that disadvantaged almost everyone, there was a good deal of ugly glee on this forum about United "firing customers." You only spend $10k / year with United? "United doesn't want you as a customer!" There was a good deal of sentiment for kicking lower-tier loyalists out of the lifeboat, in (misplaced) faith that life with UA would grow cushier for the few HVFs remaining. That kind of internecine warfare did not help the community.

When I joined in 1999 I recall a warm welcome, not immediate criticism for not having a full grasp of airline arcana, or snark because I was not at least 1K. And I do not recall so much vitriol aimed at "kettles," less versed travelers, etc.

Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
It would be great to stop this trend and once again become the friendly corner of the web.
I agree completely -- one of the great sadnesses of FT is that in 20 years it has never become an influential, concerted voice in the public square on behalf of the flying public. That may be because of snark and squabbling, or because the community has no sympathy for non-elites (which is most people), but it would be wonderful to see the tone change back.
am1108 and BBSHOPSINGER like this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:26 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by BearX220
I've been around about as long as zrs70 and can confirm. The notable tone shift on FT -- from generous and supportive to harsh and, dare I say it, selfish -- coincides with the dilution of FF programs. It's all about human reactions to scarcity. The scarcer and scrawnier the benefits, the more inclined one is to hoard them for oneself.

When I joined in 1999 I recall a warm welcome, not immediate criticism for not having a full grasp of airline arcana, or snark because I was not at least 1K. And I do not recall so much vitriol aimed at "kettles," less versed travelers, etc.
I too have been here quite a while. I can't believe that it's been close to 18 years that I've been a member. My posts per year are significantly less than other members that have been here as long, but always gave my input when I could, all in the spirit of the community. I'd post quite often...But I was learning. Members were patient and clear to explain things. Surely, there was snark...But not like today!

I don't completely blame our members for where we are at today (however, there are definitely outliers)...United created these bad tastes in our mouths and we can't help but spill it over to the forum. Promises broken since before the merger was even discussed (then a ton of promises broken post-merger), a change in the overall FF landscape, and dwindling benefits in general do not make this nearly as fun as it used to be...And it used to be fun. It's not fun anymore.

I could count on one hand how many times I wouldn't get upgraded via 500-milers during any given year. I had my choice of routing/day/time to get to any international destination with a confirmed-at-booking upgrades either with a reasonable amount of miles or SWUs. I could actually use my miles for a premium-cabin seat to just about anywhere at any time, maybe had to leave on a Tuesday instead of a Monday--but the seats were there, the upgrades were there. Then to hear a year or two ago, "We're happily cutting back our 50-seat aircraft! We know they suck and you don't like them--more mainline and 70 seaters for everyone! You get an E175, you get an E175!" just to get a complete reversal with the addition of arguably the worst aircraft in the jet age history (CRJs) coming back in droves.

You take all of that away from people, dangle these impossible-to-attain benefits in front of us (I don't even try to use my GPUs anymore, I give them to a friend), have had 1 CPU in the last 9 months or so, and frequently die on the waitlist to use a RPU on a Wednesday afternoon ORD-LAS flight. It does make me grumpy. And I don't necessarily take that out on my fellow FTers, but I can see how the complaining about things like this it would irk some, they refute it with their own anecdotal evidence showing the opposite, ill will is created--it's a viscous cycle (I mean look at the "GPUs are Useless" thread where people have 6 or more expire a year, while others say they've used 37 of them"--I don't discredit either side of it, but same idea, completely different experiences). The experience isn't the same for all people here--back in the day, we almost used to mirror one another at the same status levels--now even 1Ks or GS or Silver or Golds in the same city have completely different experiences. Nobody is right or wrong--it's all about perspective. ..What's gone is the empathy, because some can't appreciate that others have different experiences than they do.
BearX220 and Halo117 like this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by cruisr

Yes but even the gripes are so brilliantly witty and that wonderful dry sense of humor makes the snark so utterly enjoyable for one to read. I now start my daily reading of FT at the BA forum whilst sipping a good cuppa English Breakfast Tea.
My favorite (or is it favourite?) British witticism:

"Have a nice day!"
"Sorry, I've made other plans...."
NH_Clark and joe_miami like this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Thanks for the nice shout-out. I've been an active poster for about 13 years (since college) and lurked for several years before that, so I've witnessed a fair bit of the evolution of this place . I think the tone has changed as frequent flyer programs/credit card loyalty schemes and "travel hacking" have become mainstream, while at the same time the loopholes and outsize value opportunities have diminished. The marketplace has consolidated and information flows much more rapidly than in years past, through far more diverse channels. That's changed the mix of Flyertalkers to encompass a broader spectrum of travelers, not just the 'power users' who once comprised substantially all of the active posters. The point about program changes is well-taken, too. Now, it's almost as though we are beaten dogs, so conditioned to cutbacks and takeaways that we have a "BOHICA" moment at the mere suggestion of any measure of change. With that said, the tone here today is much more pleasant than the rather militant period of 2012-2015, just after the merger. It got ugly, often!

Without going too far into a social commentary, civility seems to be fading not just on FT, but elsewhere in the world, even (especially?) in physical interactions. So perhaps the long-term change in tone on FT is a symptom of a greater societal issue? With that, we are firmly approaching OMNI territory...
BearX220 and NH_Clark like this.

Last edited by EWR764; Apr 12, 2018 at 9:52 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.