Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lox and cream cheese bagels on long haul flight: Ok to bring?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lox and cream cheese bagels on long haul flight: Ok to bring?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2020, 12:07 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Do they still serve the salmon and tuna appetizer on the ps flights? (Well, not now, but in normal times)?
Old Jul 14, 2020, 12:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by phkc070408
Do they still serve the salmon and tuna appetizer on the ps flights? (Well, not now, but in normal times)?
Smoked salmon makes an appearance at times, but it's mostly prosciutto and cheese or sliced duck as appetizer.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Smoked salmon makes an appearance at times, but it's mostly prosciutto and cheese or sliced duck as appetizer.
Well, if UA was catering their domestic F cabins, that'd be lox of appetizers...

David
Old Jul 19, 2020, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

lox anyone?

source: departedflights

David
Old Jul 19, 2020, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by DELee
lox anyone?

David
That poster must be more than 35 years old. Just look at the phone numbers are pre-dating the 1-800 toll free numbers were first introduced in mid-80s.

Also, I have never heard of Western International Hotels. Who are they? Were they aquired by one of the current major hotel chains?
Old Jul 19, 2020, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Also, I have never heard of Western International Hotels. Who are they? Were they aquired by one of the current major hotel chains?
Western International Hotels became: Westin Hotels; also wikipedia on how it evolved out of UAL.

David
Old Jul 19, 2020, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Love it! But . . .

"And to add to your pleasure, there're real linen napkins."

Typo, or has acceptable formal written American English really changed that much since then?
Old Jul 19, 2020, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bear96
Love it! But . . .

Typo, or has acceptable formal written American English really changed that much since then?
Well, some on stackexchange thinks it works...

WRT the linen napkins, I wonder if they're the white ones (with the button hole) that pmUA used to provide in F/J instead of the (now) goldish nylon jobs...

Davod

David
Old Jul 19, 2020, 10:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I had plenty of the "served by the FA from the cart" deli service flights. Transcon breakfast flights in F only - 2 cabin F or 3 cabin F (but 3 cabin J didn't get this). It was my favo(u)rite meal service on UA, typically served 90 minutes or so prior to arrival ... of course, after a full breakfast service.
This explains how I ended up with a full-sized roast beef sandwich with a giant pile of potato salad as a "snack" with my first transcon upgrade to C back in 1998. Now we get half a wrap or dry sandwich with the snack basket.

Originally Posted by Bear96
Love it! But . . .

That's actually correct for contraction of "there are". Rarely used, but technically correct.
SPN Lifer, ajGoes and JMorgana like this.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
That poster must be more than 35 years old. Just look at the phone numbers are pre-dating the 1-800 toll free numbers were first introduced in mid-80s.
The "dating" on departedflights web page indicates the ad was from 1980 - so you are correct: 40 years in age at this point in time.

David
Old Jul 20, 2020, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTahCha
That's actually correct for contraction of "there are". Rarely used, but technically correct.
I didn't say it was incorrect. it just seems very informal for that context.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 4:09 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note

The recent grammar/style discussion is taking the thread more off topic and is not nearly as appetizing as the on-topic discussion. So let's return to the topic of bringing bagels and lox on board UA flights -- or at least the chance of finding it served on those flights. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, co-Moderator.
SPN Lifer and ajGoes like this.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
The recent grammar/style discussion is taking the thread more off topic and is not nearly as appetizing as the on-topic discussion. So let's return to the topic of bringing bagels and lox on board UA flights -- or at least the chance of finding it served on those flights. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, co-Moderator.
Seriously! This thread is worthless without some smoked whitefish!
Old Jul 21, 2020, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, given that the original genesis of the thread was WRT a flight from IAD to NRT, perhaps a little less plebian than lox and cream cheese bagels but still focused on seafood - perhaps for breakfast - with Absolut Vodka and vintage Dom...

David
Old Jul 21, 2020, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by DELee
Well, given that the original genesis of the thread was WRT a flight from IAD to NRT, perhaps a little less plebian than lox and cream cheese bagels but still focused on seafood - perhaps for breakfast - with Absolut Vodka and vintage Dom...

David
Thanks for this!

It definitely brings back the time when United actually had a competitive international F class. Those seven-course meals started with the Dom, Absolute Vodka, Caviar with all the trimmings as shown in the photo above.

My favorite was the lobster bisque with chucks of lobster and the sorbet served between appetizers, made to order salad and entree. Chateaubriand usually was an entree choice that could not go wrong, but I often wonder about that huge piece of leftover rack of lamb often became the dinner of the flight crew.

After caviar, a decent size bowl of lobster bisque, well portioned appetizer, a big plate of salad, I was often quite full after the sorbet. Most of the passengers left the entree barely touched. I usually asked the FA to save me a plate of chateaubriand for later as mid-flight meal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.