Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA addressing pax by first name

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
The younger generation grew up calling their preschool teachers "Miss First Name" and most of my son's friends called me by my first name which was under the instructions of their parents.
Really?! Wow, I'm not even thirty yet and posts like this make me feel old. As children, adults were never addressed by first name when I was growing up, except some family (e.g. "Uncle First Name"). But I guess it just goes to show times change.. I've heard a growing number of sportscasters refer to players by first name as well, and I still find that jarring too.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
For those who are not turned off by the informality....

Would it be different if you were on SQ?

How about on WN?

I would imagine that on SQ, you would have more of a visceral reaction than on WN because of the different expectations.

We once had that same expectation of UA and other legacy airlines. But that is going away.

At my place of work (a synagogue), people used to come for worship in very nice clothes. It doesn’t happen so much these days. But I still want to engender a culture of class and decorum. I think formality makes a difference. And it doesn’t have to be stuffy!
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
It is my actual name so why not use it

i dont see this issue
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:39 pm

with all respect, it's posts like these that make those not from the US cringe - i can't believe you'd honestly get worked up over a service employee, by all assumptions taking care of you, dare call you by your given name. oh boy.
sgfood and N104UA like this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mdbe
I was on a UAX flight from IAH today. Upgrade cleared. F/A taking drink orders after takeoff. She proceeds to call everyone by their first name. I find this highly unprofessional. I can not even imagine if a colleague of mine addresses one of our clients by their first name if they've never met before. It baffles me that the employee representing UA would utilize the manifest to address passengers by name yet not use Mr. or Ms./Mrs. accordingly. What do you guys think? Am I overreacting?
That's your name. You're overreacting and I can't add color to that statement as I don't really want to get banned from the site.
N104UA likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
I am with phat-dave. Australia has been on a first name basis for decades now.
The master/ servant era is well and truly over.

Last edited by grapegrower; Apr 1, 2018 at 11:55 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:56 pm

the other part i'd like to understand is what generation the employee was from, i often find mature employees calling gen-y for example, sir/mam as very condescending to both parties.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
FWIW - Calling your first name is still better than calling you sir/madam.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 2, 2018 at 1:01 am Reason: discuss the issue; not the poster(s)
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: Miles & More / Virgin Velocity-Gold
Originally Posted by grapegrower
I am with phat-dave. Australia has been on a first name basis for decades now.
The master/ servant era is well and truly over.
Yes Australia copied the USA however they tend not to insert a middle initial which is a bit pretentious.

The one thing that does my head in is the use of a numeral after a surname like Thurston Howell 111 (the third)
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: United Global Services, American Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Yes, overreacting.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by mdbe

There's also a cultural aspect as well, I'm essentially from Europe and we still have the TV distinction so people are expected to use the formal you. When I address my American in-laws as Mr. and Mrs., they always correct me to address them with their first names, but ultimately that just feels weird.
Whoa, you call your in-laws Mr. & Mrs. last name? Your spouse's parents? That to me is over the top formal...I was never able to call my mil "Mom" but calling her Mrs. Last name would have been considered a joke.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Just remember that in a lot of European Countries they call every professional degree by their designation. I was Engineer Stevo and thought it was downright weird.

You should be thanking yourself they don't call you .......! On a side note, I hate it when people call me by my last name. Reminds me of working onboard ships or gym class. .

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 2, 2018 at 3:02 pm Reason: removed deleted quote
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Interesting thread!

I grew up in Europe and work with Europeans the past 20 years as an American and I don’t think most Europeans would be offended with acknowledement of their first names in the situation described. I think this issue is not Europeans related.

My partner is a Doctor/PhD, and she strongly prefers strangers not calling her Dr., because her degree is her own accomplishment and not for recognition publicly. In fact, she is really annoyed when people introduce her as Dr. in a non-professional type of setting.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Interesting thread!
My partner is a Doctor/PhD, and she strongly prefers strangers not calling her Dr., because her degree is her own accomplishment and not for recognition publicly. In fact, she is really annoyed when people introduce her as Dr. in a non-professional type of setting.
Your partner is clearly not German
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LordHamster
Your partner is clearly not German
When I travel to Germany, I'm Herr Doktor Professor (or is it Herr Professor Doktor?) and they better not miss one of those!

My wife has a hyphenated name that is easily mangled by the FAs when they ask her for the dinner choice. She usually tells them that they did a good job (not really!) when saying her name but if they feel the need to call her again by her name, her first name is fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.