Wiki Posts
Search

FA addressing pax by first name

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
FA addressing pax by first name

I was on a UAX flight from IAH today. Upgrade cleared. F/A taking drink orders after takeoff. She proceeds to call everyone by their first name. I find this highly unprofessional. I can not even imagine if a colleague of mine addresses one of our clients by their first name if they've never met before. It baffles me that the employee representing UA would utilize the manifest to address passengers by name yet not use Mr. or Ms./Mrs. accordingly. What do you guys think? Am I overreacting?
GilpinGal and rufflesinc like this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not UA's normal procedure, and I would find it odd, but I don't think it would bother me.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:54 pm

For sure odd, but wouldn't bother me either.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
This wouldn’t bother me
N104UA likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 1, 2018 at 6:14 pm Reason: discuss the issue; not the poster(s)
Old Apr 1, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: Still trying to use my Continental OnePass miles...
I’d be outraged. I’d walk right off that plane and take Greyhound where they address you like a proper gentleman.
rch4u, Repooc17, Rumples and 69 others like this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Agreed, not the norm but I would have no problem with it. And, when I thanked her I would use her first name (if it’s on her name tag).
Old Apr 1, 2018, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It would bother me, but it's also the way things are going these days (in America, anyway). Well over half of phone agents from all services I contact will address me by my first name immediately after doing identity verification. I genuinely can't remember what UA agents do.. I think they still use last names?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I suppose everyone’s different, and has different pet peeves, etc., but especially based on the passion you have, yes, way over-reacting.

Im still (relatively) young, but when I get called by Mr. [lastbame], I almost want to ask where my father is. My dad was the same when he was younger. I definitely don’t have a problem with people referring to my first name, especially in an industry like airlines where it is rrelatively informal these days. Not everyone wears a suit when they fly, things are a bit more lax now.

Also, if this is the biggest issue you have with UA these days, then I’d argue your flying life is pretty excellent. I can assure you that many on this board barely even get the upgrade you speak of.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 6:48 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
It does sound unusual...

Maybe be one of the pax had a difficult last name, so the FA decided to use first names instead..?
donna538 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by mdbe
I was on a UAX flight from IAH today. Upgrade cleared. F/A taking drink orders after takeoff. She proceeds to call everyone by their first name. I find this highly unprofessional.
I wouldn't care either way.... but yes, it is unprofessional.
SK and rufflesinc like this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
How refreshing and humanizing.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
I would prefer it, as Mr. Ahead is my father, and Dr. Ahead sounds stuffy and pretentious.
adunker likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Flight attendants share their first names in announcements and on their badges. What's wrong with the same for customers, unless some people just have a superiority complex? We're all humans. Traveling on a plane isn't a legal proceeding or royal banquet.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
I don't ultimately care, but it comes off as unprofessional.
am1108 and rufflesinc like this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
In my experience, UAX (Skywest) FAs tend to be on the younger side and occasionally do things differently than mainline FAs. I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.