Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Green Tag gate check bag left on runway @LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Green Tag gate check bag left on runway @LAX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
I'm sorry this happened to you, but like a few other posters pointed out, once in 18 years really isn't a serial incident. Someone goofed at work, it happens. I'm sure many of us here have made a mistake once or twice while doing their job.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
While it's certainly less common, problems with gate-checked bags are by no means unheard of. Going back to the CO days, when CLE was a RJ hub, I had to gate-check my bag on virtually every flight leaving my hometown. I had one similar instance to this one -- the bag was tagged, but never loaded... they found it sitting on the jet bridge along with several others, and had to tag 'em and check 'em to our final destination, where they arrived a day late.

My personal favorite, however, was one where the tag snagged something and was pulled off my bag. So upon unloading the plane, they found the bag with the other gate-checked bags, but it had no tag on it.

Because it had no tag, they refused to assume that it had been security-screened and wouldn't give it to me. They actually brought it up onto the jetway so I could positively identify it, and then had to check it all the way to my final destination (significantly Int'l, in that case...), and gave me a hand-written claim tag.

Yep - I was pretty darned angry. But baggage crap happens... My solution after that incident was to refuse to fly UA RJs for awhile. I believe that was the first year I gained dual UA+DL status, because I directed most of my domestic flights to DL from that point forward.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
A bit OT but I was changing planes in AMS and had to take the dreaded bus to the plane. While on the bus, we went around a luggage trolley that was taking checked luggage to one of the remote planes. It was piled high with bags and I could see mine on the top (it is a very distinct colour). Then, to my chagrin, I saw my bag tilt and then slide off the pile onto the service road and the trolley just kept driving.

I hoped for the best that maybe someone else had the same garish colour suitcase that I had but, sure enough, when I landed my bag did not arrive and it took another 24 hours to deliver it.

Nothing major, I can still picture seeing my bag fall off the luggage cart in AMS and knew I wouldn't see it when I landed.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
What is the internet for if not hyperbole and to blow off some steam. Feel better now Lan1?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
OP seems to want to be extra dramatic - bag likely wasn’t on the runway, and yes, you do have a choice, even if it’s not NS on every route. For the record, I live in CVG, and have for 10 years, where DL/DL Connection have been dominant (though admittedly less so in the last, say, 3 or so years), and can probably count the number of times I’ve flown with them on one hand. Almost every trip I take involves a connection in ORD, IAD, IAH or DEN. there are always options, and if you’re upset that UA left your bag behind, and think that’s a bigger hassle then connecting, then by all means, switch. Keep in mind that this can, and does, happen on every carrier (of course, with the note that yeah, less likely as gate check vs. checked att the counter). And that when it does happen, even on UA, it’s fairly infrequent.

Leaving a bag behind sucks, but what about a cart of bags? I once flew BA LHR-YYZ, and while I got my bags at the end of the flight, was traveling with a group, and about half didn’t receive theirs. Turns out BA left an entire cart of luggage next to the plane before we left, and didn’t load the bags. So it does, unfortunately happen. Sure, you can and should fault UA for it, it is on them. Whether this happening once in 18 years is a good reason to switch carriers, I would say no, but that’s going to be a judgement you’re going to have to make for yourself.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:51 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
I've had it worse than that. I was flying IAD-PHL after flying from FRA via LHR. My gate checked bag for some reason never made it on the plane (possibly off-loaded due to weight and balance) and because I had neglected to take off the checked bag tag from my previous FRA-LHR-IAD flights, the bag was sent back across the Atlantic to FRA!! Finally got it two months later!
That's just brutal, especially since most people usually have stuff they might need or even some food/snacks in their carry-ons!

IMO, UA needs to put in larger bins on these regional jets so that they actually match their carry-on sizers in the terminals - if it fits in the sizer, it should fit overhead!
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mr8
IMO, UA needs to put in larger bins on these regional jets so that they actually match their carry-on sizers in the terminals - if it fits in the sizer, it should fit overhead!
Where do you propose they put them? Neither the CRJ-200 nor ERJ-145 have sufficient overhead space to make that feasible. If you think they feel claustrophobic now...
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:21 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
How do you all know that the bag was not deliberately left off, for weight reasons possibly?

Was the plane pushing back and there was random luggage lying in the ramp area, with the baggage cart having left? Was it standing upright, waiting for some further disposition or just "fallen off a truck" and forgotten?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Originally Posted by TA
How do you all know that the bag was not deliberately left off, for weight reasons possibly?
Call me crazy, but I have to suspect that gate-checked bags would be the last possible thing left off the plane for W&B. They'd unload checked bags first, since there's less expectation of getting those back quite as promptly as ones that people physically walked onto the plane themselves. If that was common practice, nobody in the summertime, in DEN, would ever see their bags again...
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:43 pm
mr8

Originally Posted by jsloan
Where do you propose they put them? Neither the CRJ-200 nor ERJ-145 have sufficient overhead space to make that feasible. If you think they feel claustrophobic now...
Just another reason to get rid of them entirely!

For some reason, I alway end up near the deadheading pilots so I've had the chance to talk to some of them, and they do share our hatred of these smaller regional jets.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mr8

For some reason, I alway end up near the deadheading pilots so I've had the chance to talk to some of them, and they do share our hatred of these smaller regional jets.
And then the next step will be to close some small airports......
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
AA should be doable?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:52 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by mr8

As most workers dislike lower cost competition to their cartel like lock on salaries and work rules. They never seem to complain when they’re sitting in the jump seat, or when they’re flying to a city that would have no or reduced service. Funny how people’s attitudes tword a product change depending on the situation and the audience. Human nature at its finest.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Darlox
Call me crazy, but I have to suspect that gate-checked bags would be the last possible thing left off the plane for W&B. They'd unload checked bags first, since there's less expectation of getting those back quite as promptly as ones that people physically walked onto the plane themselves. If that was common practice, nobody in the summertime, in DEN, would ever see their bags again...
Have never worked ramp ops or anything, but I'd think that too. Not 100% sure, but I believe for weight and balance calcs, carry on bags are already included in the average weight for a pax, and so leaving it off purposely wouldn't actually affect the calculation. While checked bags are calculated separately, I think, and so would impact the calculation. Not to mention that even if they are calculated separately, a typical carry on bag is probably 20% (or less) of the weight of a typical checked bag, so you'd need to offload a lot more of them to hit the number compared to checked bags.

Originally Posted by mr8

If UA served only the top, say, 50 US metro areas, or maybe even 100, than sure, that might work. But cutting out RJs would also cut out services to pretty much every small airport in the country, and probably reduce capacity/frequency, not to mention raise fares, at many medium sized airports, too. If carriers want to serve airports like MBS, SPI, MRY, and the tens or more of smaller/mid-size airports (which also have people who need to connect across the country, or internationally), then that won't work. You can't replace CR2/7, ER4s, etc. with 737s in many markets. It's either RJs or nothing.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 3:29 pm
mr8

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
And then the next step will be to close some small airports......
Originally Posted by emcampbe
If UA served only the top, say, 50 US metro areas, or maybe even 100, than sure, that might work. But cutting out RJs would also cut out services to pretty much every small airport in the country, and probably reduce capacity/frequency, not to mention raise fares, at many medium sized airports, too. If carriers want to serve airports like MBS, SPI, MRY, and the tens or more of smaller/mid-size airports (which also have people who need to connect across the country, or internationally), then that won't work. You can't replace CR2/7, ER4s, etc. with 737s in many markets. It's either RJs or nothing.
IIRC, most of these regionals are operated by ExpressJet, WestJet, etc "doing business as" everyone united/delta/american/etc.

Anyways, I didn't mean to cut all the regionals, just some of the older and smaller ones that require a green tag for pretty much any carry-on.
I don't think anyone would miss the CRJ200 which is supposedly a pain to heat/cool and isn't that fuel efficient either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.