Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Green Tag gate check bag left on runway @LAX

Old Mar 27, 18, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Platinum

18 year 1K never experienced this before - flying today LAX- ASE on RJ700
half full flight, on time left bag at door with ground crew, they scanned bag and forgot the most important part PUTTING BAG ON PLANE

I JUSTCONTINUE TO BE AMAZED BY UNITED, HAVE NO CHOICE Homes IN LA AND ASPEN OFFICES IN CHICAGO AND DC
Old Mar 27, 18, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Lani1 View Post
half full flight, on time left bag at door with ground crew, they scanned bag and forgot the most important part PUTTING BAG ON PLANE

I JUSTCONTINUE TO BE AMAZED BY UNITED, HAVE NO CHOICE Homes IN LA AND ASPEN OFFICES IN CHICAGO AND DC
So, only one time in 18 years? You’ll probably be really besides yourself the next time it happens. In 2036.
joder, LRMErnst, 757FO and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 18, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
*gets the popcorn ready.

In all seriousness, does it suck, yes. But one time in 18 years is pretty good, no? I wish I missed CPU upgrades one time in 18 years, but LOL, who are we kidding that ain't happening.

Let us know how United responds, I think that's more important. They should be attempting to re-unite you with your luggage via their delivery service.
Old Mar 27, 18, 10:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
I can guarantee, with 100% certainty, that it was not left on the runway.
cawhite, pindi, Collierkr and 13 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 18, 10:19 pm

There are always choices. AA, in particular, would seem to fly between those cities pretty nicely. Also, while I understand this is anathema to some people, when nonstop flights aren't available, you can always connect...

Mistakes happen, on all airlines, and indeed in all walks of life. I agree with the other posters; for me, how UA responds would be more important than the mistake that was made. I've had UA misroute my luggage on multiple occasions. Twice they've flown it on a different carrier to get it to an airport where it was convenient for me to go pick it up. I'll take that over my experience with PR, where my luggage was pilfered (although, admittedly, I have no idea whether or not their staff was responsible; it was during the dark days between "we'll cut the locks off of your luggage" and "we have locks that don't really do anything because the TSA has a secret key"), or my experience with AS, who snapped at me that "this isn't Federal Express" when I asked where my bag was.
Old Mar 27, 18, 10:41 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

You actually saw it on the runway?
cawhite likes this.
Old Mar 27, 18, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Amex Gold, CSP, Global Entry
Might not have been literally on the runway, but I remember sitting in a window seat on AF out of CDG, when I spotted two suitcases that looked awfully similar to mine sitting on the ramp.

Needless to say the bags were FedEx-ed to me several days later...
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Mar 28, 18, 3:01 am

It wouldn't be the first time that something has been left on the runway. Okay, it "fell" out of the plane onto the runway, but still...

If United delivers the bag undamaged in a timely manner, I'd be glad the bag didn't end up in a worse situation.
Old Mar 28, 18, 3:04 am

Location: 50.1% in PDX and 49.9% in PVG ( 182 days in Shanghai in 2017 )
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K
As others noted on the runway, that must have been a feat to take it out to the runway, on the Tarmac but left stranded, likely, I could see how that could happen more often than redirect / lost luggage in the last minute hustle/load, but on a regional should be a system there.

If in 18 years only lost luggage once and 1K that is pretty darn good record.

I would say what would upset me more is it took "several" days, as a 1K I'd expect the bag on the next flight or there by next AM for such a mistake, but again like you said, it's UA so customer first service is lacking as a corporate cultural.

Like you I fly UA as for where I go little other choice, but if the competitors offered similar schedule/flexibility I'd not even be flying them!
Old Mar 28, 18, 4:08 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Sorry to disagree with those who disagree and think this is no big thing. Obviously the ground crew did not look left or right in preparing the plane. I wonder what else would have been OK to just "forget" in preparing the flight? There is NO excuse for leaving luggage sitting there.
Live4Upgrade likes this.
Old Mar 28, 18, 5:54 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by TonyBurr View Post
Sorry to disagree with those who disagree and think this is no big thing. Obviously the ground crew did not look left or right in preparing the plane. I wonder what else would have been OK to just "forget" in preparing the flight? There is NO excuse for leaving luggage sitting there.
We see it as not a big issue because how many times has the OP has flown and seen this happen. He/she states 18 years he/she has been flying from LAX-ASE it's only happened once.

Unless you know the full story as to where exactly the luggage was left; was it "on the runway" or was it "in the jetbridge" you don't know who exactly point fingers to or say who's fault it was. Mistakes happen; yes, even when it's their job to do certain things, mistakes still happen.

Do we fire a barista every time they get an order wrong? It's 100% their job. Wouldn't you say that getting one order wrong in 18 years is pretty good?
Old Mar 28, 18, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Plat, SPG/M P75 and few from CC
Tarmac, or more specifically Ramp or Apron, should be a more appropriate description of the location where the luggage was left.
Old Mar 28, 18, 7:23 am

Programs: UA silver; AA Gold;AGR;HH Gold;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC;National Executive; Johnnie Walker Gold

I've had it worse than that. I was flying IAD-PHL after flying from FRA via LHR. My gate checked bag for some reason never made it on the plane (possibly off-loaded due to weight and balance) and because I had neglected to take off the checked bag tag from my previous FRA-LHR-IAD flights, the bag was sent back across the Atlantic to FRA!! Finally got it two months later!
Old Mar 28, 18, 7:31 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
PUTTING BAG ON PLANE

When you contact United about your bag, it's better if you don't shout. They will put all their effort in reuniting you with your bag.

My wife and I had our luggage stranded (or visiting new locations where we have never been) on so many different airlines: BA, Finnair, Air France, Iberia, USAirways, United. All the airlines successfully managed to reunite us with our lost luggage, bringing it to our house or Iberia even bringing it to my wife's hotel in Lerida when the luggage did not arrive in Madrid which was her final destination by air. A distance of 460 km.

One time, I saw two pieces of luggage left on the tarmac, 100 meters from where I was sitting in the USAirways Club. No baggage handlers picked them up and then it started pouring. When I left 2 hours later to board my flight, they were still there.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Mar 28, 18 at 7:36 am
Old Mar 28, 18, 7:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bags are misloaded or not loaded every day on carriers around the world. While gate checks are less common, it happens. Best to understand that stuff happens and that while you may certainly jump ship to another carrier, something equally bad or worse will happen to you in the next 18 years on DL or AA.

Search this Thread